• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Switch is DOOMED

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
@Lozjam TP came out a few weeks later on the GC and the Wii had one of the greatest launches ever because of the hype. I don't think the difference in Switch and Wii U Zelda sales will be as stark as TP Wii vs GCN.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Can we stop pretending that the 3DS and the Switch are equal in terms of portability please? With the 3DS, you can open and close it whenever you want without even needing to exit the game or even pause it. It can fit in your pocket very easily, even a New 3DS XL can easily fit in your pocket. You can take it almost anywhere and stop and start playing at the drop of a hat. The Switch cannot fit in pockets and we don't even know if it has a sleep mode similar to the 3DS's yet. The Switch is something you bring to a party where you know you're gonna be there for a while. It's not something you can bring in a car ride and play for a little bit; not without a sleep mode as convenient as what the 3DS has. The Switch, as of now, is not a true handheld, hybrid or not. The idea that the 3DS should be phased out because of the Switch is completely stupid.

If the Switch has problems, it will be because of what the others have said. Not because of the 3DS.

EDIT: can we also stop pretending that handheld is less important than home console that is also BS

Jamie

I dont think it is unfair. Radiant Dawn was a console FE and this new one is also a console FE. What it is not fair to do would be to compare a home console FE to a handheld FE and expect handheld FE fans to suddenly get home consoles to play an installment.

I haven't mentioned Dragon Quest once. This is because I dont remember even hearing of the franchise until now, maybe it has been mentioned in the SB but I've never taken notice.
You did. I mentioned DQ and you said "none of those are system sellers". And no, it is unfair because FE was recently rebooted. Its popularity has gone way up in the west. We will see how the console version goes buy handhelds weren't selling well either until Awakening.

Can we stop pretending that the 3DS and the Switch are equal in terms of portability please? With the 3DS, you can open and close it whenever you want without even needing to exit the game or even pause it. It can fit in your pocket very easily, even a New 3DS XL can easily fit in your pocket. You can take it almost anywhere and stop and start playing at the drop of a hat. The Switch cannot fit in pockets and we don't even know if it has a sleep mode similar to the 3DS's yet. The Switch is something you bring to a party where you know you're gonna be there for a while. It's not something you can bring in a car ride and play for a little bit; not without a sleep mode as convenient as what the 3DS has. The Switch, as of now, is not a true handheld, hybrid or not. The idea that the 3DS should be phased out because of the Switch is completely stupid.

If the Switch has problems, it will be because of what the others have said. Not because of the 3DS.

EDIT: can we also stop pretending that handheld is less important than home console that is also BS
A party? Bruh...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Switch is something you bring to a party
Bruh...Jamie was dumbfounded as Sage du Azure said those fated words. Bruh...you're going to bring your Switch™«®» to a party?!
Yes I will bring my Switch™ to a party...
Sage du Azure replied. He thought nothing of it, after all.
A loud cackle was heard throughout the halls of the Dungeon. Someone had utterly lost their ****.

Roleplaying aside, I'm also crazed at this. A switch in a party? Not to my understanding. it is as bulsky as the Wii U GAMEPAD® and it's also going to be in homes where a playstation®4 likely already exists. Why to bring in a aprty? Who is going to own the Switch? It is not something people will want; a companion device at best, but it is still in tune with the Wee Wee or whatever the **** the last Nintendo console was titled. WHO is going to own this besides diehard Nintendor fands? only I will own it. And I will fight, but no one is like me. No one has that love for Nintendo that I do, that borders on unhealthy obsession and indeed even surpasses it. You have to realize that the Switch is not going to suceed in the red ocean market. it can't . it is not evena competittor. not for $300, never. a slap t my face it is, I

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Bruh...Jamie was dumbfounded as Sage du Azure said those fated words. Bruh...you're going to bring your Switch™«®» to a party?!
Yes I will bring my Switch™ to a party...
Sage du Azure replied. He thought nothing of it, after all.
A loud cackle was heard throughout the halls of the Dungeon. Someone had utterly lost their ****.

Roleplaying aside, I'm also crazed at this. A switch in a party? Not to my understanding. it is as bulsky as the Wii U GAMEPAD® and it's also going to be in homes where a playstation®4 likely already exists. Why to bring in a aprty? Who is going to own the Switch? It is not something people will want; a companion device at best, but it is still in tune with the Wee Wee or whatever the **** the last Nintendo console was titled. WHO is going to own this besides diehard Nintendor fands? only I will own it. And I will fight, but no one is like me. No one has that love for Nintendo that I do, that borders on unhealthy obsession and indeed even surpasses it. You have to realize that the Switch is not going to suceed in the red ocean market. it can't . it is not evena competittor. not for $300, never. a slap t my face it is, I
You're my favorite poster.

Tibari

Rinkuji
Bringing a Switch with a party game in a party might be a good idea. 1 2 Switch is a perfect game for events like that.
I mean, I brought my Wii U with SSB, MK8, Wii Party U and a lot of controllers in a new year party with the friends of my girlfriend, it really was a success everyone enjoyed it, while no one owned a Wii U.
Of course, a party where everyone just want to dance and drink isn't really an appropriate place to bring party games. Bringing a console in a party isn't always a success, but it can be depending on the people present in this party

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
You did. I mentioned DQ and you said "none of those are system sellers". And no, it is unfair because FE was recently rebooted. Its popularity has gone way up in the west. We will see how the console version goes buy handhelds weren't selling well either until Awakening.

DQ is on PS4 by the looks of things and apparently it looks better on that system. I therefore dont think it will be a switch system seller. I have already said 3rd party games are better on PS4 in both performance and look. It has got to be Nintendo exclusives to bring new buyers in.

Splatoon players already own Wii U's. People saying it is a system seller. It's not going to help Switch exceed Wii U sales unless other factors come in to play. E.g more desirable exclusives and phasing out the 3DS. In terms of desirable exclusives I think Mario Odyssey not being a launch title is a mistake.

And as for the Fire Emblem we'll wait and see. I think it will be another flop on the home console even if the handheld series has picked up.

Jamie

DQ is on PS4 by the looks of things and apparently it looks better on that system. I therefore dont think it will be a switch system seller. I have already said 3rd party games are better on PS4 in both performance and look. It has got to be Nintendo exclusives to bring new buyers in.

Splatoon players already own Wii U's. People saying it is a system seller. It's not going to help Switch exceed Wii U sales unless other factors come in to play. E.g more desirable exclusives and phasing out the 3DS. In terms of desirable exclusives I think Mario Odyssey not being a launch title is a mistake.

And as for the Fire Emblem we'll wait and see. I think it will be another flop on the home console even if the handheld series has picked up.
But Splatoon helped the Wii U gain a little bit of life. I don't see why it can't tide the Switch over until the holidays when we get Mario and probably XC2.

Anyone who is still optimistic about the Switch can you tell me where all these buyers are going to come from?
Read this post by our favourite military man. He explains exactly where the sames will come from.

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/threa...e-switch-to-remain-active.58602/#post-1074009

The idea that the 3DS should be phased out because of the Switch is completely stupid.
The sales of the Switch vs 3DS games will answer that question.

DQ is on PS4 by the looks of things and apparently it looks better on that system.
That is just one game and it's not indicative of much. What you say is true but it's not going to matter much. So many people are going "oh wow portable Switch". They are willing to take the slight graphical compromise to play the games on the go. Those who own both consoles will get the PS4 version unless they really want to play it on the go. Those who are thinking, PS4 or Switch, well you have slightly better graphics vs portability. Sure it's tablet portabiltiy, not 3DS portability. But that's a heck of a lot more portable yhan a PS4. As long as the Switch versions look pretty enough, tje portability factor will win them over.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
That is just one game and it's not indicative of much. What you say is true but it's not going to matter much. So many people are going "oh wow portable Switch". They are willing to take the slight graphical compromise to play the games on the go. Those who own both consoles will get the PS4 version unless they really want to play it on the go. Those who are thinking, PS4 or Switch, well you have slightly better graphics vs portability. Sure it's tablet portabiltiy, not 3DS portability. But that's a heck of a lot more portable yhan a PS4. As long as the Switch versions look pretty enough, tje portability factor will win them over.

It is just one game but a certain member brought it up along with others claiming it to be a system seller and I needed to say why I thought it wasn't a system seller.

That goes for any third party game. When you have a PS4 which plays them better whilst they look superior to versions on other consoles the only thing tempting buyers to the Switch would be exclusive games. Besides Zelda which isn't an exclusive the rest of the launch lineup does not comprise of big system sellers.

As for the portability being the appeal. There is already a portable Nintendo console. People won't want to pay more to play better graphiced versions of games they already own. If Nintendo decides to continue the way they did things with Wii U and we end up with FE warriors on both, Smash on both, Mario on both. The cheaper console will win and because Nintendo fans already own 3DS there is little reason for them to buy a home console.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Nintendo is going to have another flop of a console on their hands if they aren't careful.

Initially I thought the Switch would be a success story with it being a hybrid of home console and portable. A machine that could lap up both of Nintendo's existing consumer bases (handheld and home console owners) and have them all on one machine, as well as tapping into the mainstream gamers who are yet undecided about getting an X1 or PS4.

First mistake. It's not really a hybrid. It's not a handheld. It's like people are completely ignoring everything we've seen and read. This isn't replacing the 3DS because it's nothing like the 3DS. You can't put it in your pocket, you can't take it everywhere with you, and the battery life on it while playing big games is not good. Not. A. Handheld.

However. Retardendo appear yet again hell bent on self sabotage. Just as what happened with the Wii U vs 3DS situation, we know games are going to be releasing for Switch that also have a 3DS version, making spending hundreds on buying a new switch for a game that could be played on a cheaper or already owned console sound like an unattractive prospect indeed.

Although I don't disagree that Nintendo should not be releasing the games on both platforms, you're missing the fact that the Switch has console-only games coming for it. The 3DS doesn't have most of the games coming for Switch. It only has Fire Emblem. Not a strong argument.

Switch needs attractive exclusives which appeal to mainstream audiences to gain new buyers and looking at the lineup it isn't really getting any on release. The biggest release of course is Breath of the Wild and that isn't even exclusive to the Switch and for me it is the only reason I am going to buy the console.

And for others it's Mario or Splatoon or their misplaced sense of portability of the console. In other words, your opinion on this particular issue is irrelevant.

What it seems like to me at least by my observation of Ninty not phasing out the 3DS, is that their strategy is to sell Switch as a home console and not as the replacement for both home and handheld it should be. This puts it in direct competition with the both 3DS and the PS4.

One game on both the 3DS and Switch doesn't put it in competition with the 3DS. This would have to turn into a trend. As of right now it isn't a trend. Although I completely agree with you: if it does become a trend, it would be very worrisome.

PS4 is the most powerful home console and has the best lineup. Unless you are really into the exclusives of Xbox or Nintendo you'll go PS4 as your games machine. That's why it is the best selling home console of this gen, the consumer has voted with their wallet there. It's got the exclusives and it's got the best running versions of 3rd party games. What's Switch got? Where's the exclusives?

Aside from Mario, Splatoon, Xenoblade 2, No More Heroes 3, Seasons of Heaven, and potentially a Fire Emblem and Pokemon game? Granted, that's not a lot, but considering we know of very little games coming for the Switch so far, that's not a bad list.

And let us remember that all the 3rd party games will be the worst running and looking of any of the soon to be three main home consoles.

Funny, because everything I've seen and read says the Switch is equal to or more powerful than your beloved XBO. I'm waiting to see it in action, of course, but I'm not sure where you're getting your information. Aside from your own bias, that is.

So why buy a Switch? Where are these millions of consumers that are needed going to come from? If not from the 3DS crowd. The Wii U crowd? Thats what it seems like they are going for. Though as we all know crowd would be a massive exaggeration of the size of that buyer base.

Ah yes, disingenuous arguments are so funny. Because 13 million people isn't a crowd, right? What's a crowd? 14 million?

I hope Nintendo changes strategy and gets lots of Switch Sales. For me who only cares about Zelda, that means more people will get to experience the franchise that I am into and as a result of the extra interest ensure that it keeps being made and that the company puts more effort into producing titles for it.

Currently their plan looks like it will lead them to ruin again just like with the Wii U. So. Anyone who is still optimistic about the Switch can you tell me where all these buyers are going to come from?

Wrong on pretty much every level. Their plan to bring Fire Emblem Warriors to both Switch and 3DS is not indicative of anything. It doesn't prove that Nintendo have a "plan" that is going to "ruin" them. It indicates one game being released for their home console and their handheld console simultaneously.

And all indications lead to the conclusion that the console version is going to be better, because a console version will always be better. Better controls, more power behind the system, and so better visuals and frame rate (assuming all the gameplay features are the same).

That goes for any third party game. When you have a PS4 which plays them better whilst they look superior to versions on other consoles the only thing tempting buyers to the Switch would be exclusive games.
People won't want to pay more to play better graphiced versions of games they already own.

So on the one hand, you're arguing that the PS4 is better because it has better graphics. And on the other hand you say the 3DS is better because people don't want better graphics. I mean, let's just say this argument wouldn't hold up in court.

You've made this same argument in the past. If you're telling us that, if given an option, people will choose the PS4 version of a game because it has better graphics, but at the same time telling us that graphics don't matter when it comes to 3DS and Switch, then I'm not sure what you're really trying to say.

I mean, I get that people aren't going to buy a brand new, $300 piece of hardware to play one game (or are they?), especially assuming that game is Fire Emblem Warriors. But more than likely, most people are getting the Switch for other games. Now, once they have the Switch, are they going to choose the better of the two versions of the game, or not? According to you, they will. They will get the Switch version. Because "When you have a [Switch] which plays them better whilst they look superior to [the] version on [the 3DS]..." why would you not choose the Switch version? I mean, that's your very argument.

Also, I'd like to know where you got the fact that the PS4 will "play games better." You mean the PS4 has a better controller or what?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain

First mistake. It's not really a hybrid. It's not a handheld. It's like people are completely ignoring everything we've seen and read. This isn't replacing the 3DS because it's nothing like the 3DS. You can't put it in your pocket, you can't take it everywhere with you, and the battery life on it while playing big games is not good. Not. A. Handheld.

Although I don't disagree that Nintendo should not be releasing the games on both platforms, you're missing the fact that the Switch has console-only games coming for it. The 3DS doesn't have most of the games coming for Switch. It only has Fire Emblem. Not a strong argument.

And for others it's Mario or Splatoon or their misplaced sense of portability of the console. In other words, your opinion on this particular issue is irrelevant.

One game on both the 3DS and Switch doesn't put it in competition with the 3DS. This would have to turn into a trend. As of right now it isn't a trend. Although I completely agree with you: if it does become a trend, it would be very worrisome.

Aside from Mario, Splatoon, Xenoblade 2, No More Heroes 3, Seasons of Heaven, and potentially a Fire Emblem and Pokemon game? Granted, that's not a lot, but considering we know of very little games coming for the Switch so far, that's not a bad list.

Funny, because everything I've seen and read says the Switch is equal to or more powerful than your beloved XBO. I'm waiting to see it in action, of course, but I'm not sure where you're getting your information. Aside from your own bias, that is.

Ah yes, disingenuous arguments are so funny. Because 13 million people isn't a crowd, right? What's a crowd? 14 million?

Wrong on pretty much every level. Their plan to bring Fire Emblem Warriors to both Switch and 3DS is not indicative of anything. It doesn't prove that Nintendo have a "plan" that is going to "ruin" them. It indicates one game being released for their home console and their handheld console simultaneously.

And all indications lead to the conclusion that the console version is going to be better, because a console version will always be better. Better controls, more power behind the system, and so better visuals and frame rate (assuming all the gameplay features are the same).

So on the one hand, you're arguing that the PS4 is better because it has better graphics. And on the other hand you say the 3DS is better because people don't want better graphics. I mean, let's just say this argument wouldn't hold up in court.

You've made this same argument in the past. If you're telling us that, if given an option, people will choose the PS4 version of a game because it has better graphics, but at the same time telling us that graphics don't matter when it comes to 3DS and Switch, then I'm not sure what you're really trying to say.

I mean, I get that people aren't going to buy a brand new, $300 piece of hardware to play one game (or are they?), especially assuming that game is Fire Emblem Warriors. But more than likely, most people are getting the Switch for other games. Now, once they have the Switch, are they going to choose the better of the two versions of the game, or not? According to you, they will. They will get the Switch version. Because "When you have a [Switch] which plays them better whilst they look superior to [the] version on [the 3DS]..." why would you not choose the Switch version? I mean, that's your very argument.

Also, I'd like to know where you got the fact that the PS4 will "play games better." You mean the PS4 has a better controller or what?
I don't think you guys quite understand how times have changed, and the term "handheld" has changed.

We live in a world, where nobody cares about how big an object is for it to be considered portable. I live in college, and so I have a pretty good understanding of the core demographic. Mainly, college students. Our 18-26ish year olds.

And let me tell you. The fact that the iPad can't fit it in their pocket, won't make them think that they cannot take it anywhere. Because they literally, bring it everywhere they go. Everybody, and let me restate, everybody, either has a laptop or a tablet every single second of their existence. They put it in a bag, and they carry it with them. The same goes to my professors and fellow students. And guess what? The battery life on all of these devices is just as bad, 2-6 hours. Do you know what they do? They have charging banks, and they also carry charger cords with them.

This might not be what you personally want.... But the Switch's size and battery life is NOT going to affect the portability of the Switch to its main demographic. I can assure you that 100%. The Switch is 100% portable in modern standards, whether you guys like it or not.

Reactions: Dio

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't think you guys quite understand how times have changed, and the term "handheld" has changed.

We live in a world, where nobody cares about how big an object is for it to be considered portable. I live in college, and so I have a pretty good understanding of the core demographic. Mainly, college students. Our 18-26ish year olds.

And let me tell you. The fact that the iPad can't fit it in their pocket, won't make them think that they cannot take it anywhere. Because they literally, bring it everywhere they go. Everybody, and let me restate, everybody, either has a laptop or a tablet every single second of their existence. They put it in a bag, and they carry it with them. The same goes to my professors and fellow students. And guess what? The battery life on all of these devices is just as bad, 2-6 hours. Do you know what they do? They have charging banks, and they also carry charger cords with them.

This might not be what you personally want.... But the Switch's size and battery life is NOT going to affect the portability of the Switch to its main demographic. I can assure you that 100%. The Switch is 100% portable in modern standards, whether you guys like it or not.
You're comparing an iPad to a video game system. What people want out of each of them isn't going to be the same. It's apples and oranges.

And you're missing something big; it's not just about whether it can fit in people's pockets or not. Without a seamless sleep mode like the 3DS, it won't be very good as a handheld whether it can fit in pockets or not. Even iPads you can just lock and put away at a moment's notice if need be. We haven't seen if the Switch can do that. That's far more important than its size. Any portable device needs to be something you can start and stop using at the drop of a hat. Until the Switch has that, it will never be equal to the 3DS in terms of portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom