• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I can't find another thread about this movie yet. Weird. Anyway, give me your thoughts on this movie. I'm kind of guessing that there's no general thread on this because most people are waiting for the movie to come out on streaming. I could be totally wrong about this but I very rarely go out to watch movies and this is one of the few movies that I'm willing to watch in the theaters.

Anyway, my kids absolutely loved it. I was getting the feeling that they would by the reviews. I was guessing it was one of those movies that appealed to the lowest common denominator, but I was thankfully mistaken to a degree to which I am embarrassed. I hate Illumination Studios. Their last good movie was Despicable Me and it wasn't actually a great movie, it was only good because Steve Carell did the voice of Gru.

I'm a recovering contrarian and VERY amateur film enthusiast. I hate Jack Black and Seth Rogan, I watch Twelve Angry Men every year, I follow directors more than actors, I have every reason to hate this movie and I expected a 59%.

We're talking like a 90%. Not that it's real cinema of course, nobody expects it to be Holiday Inn or something, but it's a really fun movie with very little that's objectionable. Very little "girl power", transparent pandering, raunchy content, interspecies relationships, product placement, etc. The nostalgia baiting felt organic, Illumination kept their stupid "humor" to a minimum, the "story" was as simple as the video games, the musical cues weren't nearly as on the nose as the trailers made it seem. I'll definitely watch this again and I'll be all over the sequel(s).

So tell me about it, did anybody else watch this? How terrible was it? How stupid is my opinion? Give me your hottest takes.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I saw the movie last weekend with a group of 17 friends, and I thought it was great. I haven't seen any of Illumination's movies since the first Despicable Me (and Hop if you count that I guess lol). What stood out to me the most was the action-packed animation, gorgeous set-pieces and everything about Bowser. My least favourite aspect was probably the licensed music, which should have been replaced by more appropriate tunes inspired by the games. I'd recommended the film to anybody who doesn't go in to it expecting a huge, bombastic, story-driven adventure, but can enjoy the eye-candy and a humble plot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom