• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The story is weak, but....

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I'm re-reading the Wolves of the Beyond book series, and I'm realizing how incredibly mediocre the plot is. I'm just finding it really bland and predictable. I'm sticking with it though, because the worldbuilding is incredible. I love reading about all the different clans and traditions and whatnot, even though the series is about the eventual downfall of it all. I've heard the same about the Star Wars prequels. I feel like it's a good opportunity for fan fiction....

Are there any books/movies/video games etc... that you've been willing to stick with because the worldbuilding is great in spite of a mediocre plot?

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I think sword and shield kind of sort of fit this description for me? Like, the plot is "weak" and the worldbuilding is "strong", although I'm not sure if I'd say I don't like the plot despite its weakness at some points
the story focuses super heavily on the gym challenge and kind of brushes everything else aside, turning the plot twist at the end into a pretty inconsequential snafu all things considered
the worldbuilding is definitely one of its strong points imo, and the gym challenge really feels like a relevant and vital part of Galar's culture. The crowd roaring and NPCs recognizing you really adds to the suspension of disbelief. The DLC also has solid worldbuilding in its own right, although it still feels fairly tacked on.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I get into things looking to be entertained first and foremost. A lot of times, the characters can keep me going through a story where nothing interesting is happening, or the worldbuilding as you said. If it's a game, I can play one with a story that I actively consider bad if the gameplay is fun, like Dragon's Dogma. A best-selling story isn't usually required for me, as long as I'm entertained.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Death Stranding would be my video game pick. The story is dull, plodding, and written by Hideo Kojima. The backstory of the world is interesting, but not in the way the game delivers it.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Most FE games, tbh. There's only a select few FE games that have stories of any quality, but the casts are usually anywhere from memorable enough to excellently written so I stay engaged with what happens throughout the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom