• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds The stamina meter is Marring the Bow. Problem?

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
well i guess your not a true fan if your not willing to give the games a chance remember change is not always bad

If I wasn't a true fan, I would not have started complaining about the issues with what I've hearing about ALBW and Zelda U in the first place.

Isn't almost every Zelda games is kind of reboot of the series? SO wither it's a reboot or not, it doesn't even matter in the first place since the games don't refer to each other too much, except with a few exemptions like WW, PH etc....

Okay, when does even begin sense? So, are you saying that ALttP, OoS/OoA, SS, OoT, TP, and so on are a reboot of series? Also, the games have been referring to other Zelda games, at least mostly since ALttP. Don't even pay any attention to game's actual story? Or do you just do kinda like what I used to do when I was younger, just skip through the text like you don't care?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
This Thread seems a lil intense so i think im gonna stay outta this till i actually play the game and see how "limiting" this magic/stamina hybrid meter is!

Im still excited, and feel that if holding the Arrow back making the arrow do more damage is intriguing, however this thread is the first ive heard that function, so like i said ill hold my judgement till i get my hands on the game

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
[video=youtube;rNVIVtD1oSo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNVIVtD1oSo[/video]

Not sure if that's a repost, but, that meter is an "Item Meter" which is ridic. Instead of managing the usability of all items, they just mash pretty much every item into one meter. Not to mention the drawing mechanic is tethered to the meter as well. Lazy. Biru Torainen also confirmed that you'll basically just be finding a lot of rupees and hearts, no ammunition. I really do not like the idea and I'm just confused as a whole. Still, I'll wait it out. Hopefully they'll have a demo for the game. ^^

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I really don't see how it's a problem. It trades out gathering ammunition for having for pay attention to how much of the meter you have at any given time, which provides a streamlined, but still deep weapons system. Really, I don't get how you can call it "lazy". It no doubt takes a lot of consideration determining how much of the meter each item uses so that the balance isn't off. This is a great idea for the top-down style, and I'm glad they thought of it. Stamina was one of the best additions to the series to date, so translating it over to A Link Between Worlds is wonderful to see.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
This Thread seems a lil intense so i think im gonna stay outta this till i actually play the game and see how "limiting" this magic/stamina hybrid meter is!

Im still excited, and feel that if holding the Arrow back making the arrow do more damage is intriguing, however this thread is the first ive heard that function, so like i said ill hold my judgement till i get my hands on the game

The Stamina/Magic/Ammo meter thing is not what I'm mad about. I'm mad that Nintendo keeps placing ALBW after ALttP when it just doesn't fit there. I personally want to see ALBW as a game that sets before ALttP but unfortunately, I have this bad feeling that ALBW is gonna ended being a reboot of ALttP. First off, Nintendo keeps talking about changing the series, they keep lying about ALBW being a sequel to ALttP when it clearly doesn't make sense that way according to the games themselves as well as HH, Aonuma confirmed that there is a surprise at the opening of the game that will shock everyone, ALBW Link's pose in the artwork is possibly for the purpose of ALBW Link being a re-imagined version of ALttP Link, further confirming that ALBW will be a reboot version of ALttP and the first installment for a Zelda reboot. Following that ALBW, Zelda U will be next installment to the Zelda Reboot. It's the fact that there's the possibility of a Zelda reboot that's making me mad.

Tatl Tael Link

Hero of Hyrule
To be honest, I'll live with it, but I'm not that big a fan of the Item Meter idea. I guess I just don't like it because it seems too unrealistic; it only seems to make sense gameplay-wise. I'll probably get used to it, and it'll be fine, but I hope they don't keep it around for the next one, at least at this moment. My mind may change once I actually play the game.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
To be honest, I'll live with it, but I'm not that big a fan of the Item Meter idea. I guess I just don't like it because it seems too unrealistic; it only seems to make sense gameplay-wise. I'll probably get used to it, and it'll be fine, but I hope they don't keep it around for the next one, at least at this moment. My mind may change once I actually play the game.

And cramming craploads of items into a small sack is realistic? Lolno, it only makes sense from a gameplay standpoint.

Tatl Tael Link

Hero of Hyrule
And cramming craploads of items into a small sack is realistic? Lolno, it only makes sense from a gameplay standpoint.

True enough, but that was kind of a trope of the Zelda game. Link's sack is basically a TARDIS. Only in doesn't travel through time and space. Well, sometimes.

Salem

SICK
Okay, when does even begin sense? So, are you saying that ALttP, OoS/OoA, SS, OoT, TP, and so on are a reboot of series? Also, the games have been referring to other Zelda games, at least mostly since ALttP. Don't even pay any attention to game's actual story? Or do you just do kinda like what I used to do when I was younger, just skip through the text like you don't care?
That's why I said "kinda" a reboot. There's very few direct references between the games. knowledge of the timeline placement of games don;t matter ti much to someone playing them because you can play one game without needing to know the timeline, unlike some games series that have long narrative that span several games.

Not sure if that's a repost, but, that meter is an "Item Meter" which is ridic. Instead of managing the usability of all items, they just mash pretty much every item into one meter. Not to mention the drawing mechanic is tethered to the meter as well. Lazy. Biru Torainen also confirmed that you'll basically just be finding a lot of rupees and hearts, no ammunition. I really do not like the idea and I'm just confused as a whole. Still, I'll wait it out. Hopefully they'll have a demo for the game. ^^
Regardless of what i said before, I don't really thing making the ammunition "infinite" makes a huge difference in "modern" Zelda games, because in "general" we rarely need to worry about the ammunition, the dungeons give out a lot of ammunition for the weapons that we need for that particular dungeon.

Also I remember them in the video saying there will be good use for rupees? I can't imagine what it could be besides buying new items but we'll see.:)

Sounds good to me. This way you don't have those moments where you can't progress because you're out of arrows or any other item.

The Stamina/Magic/Ammo meter thing is not what I'm mad about. I'm mad that Nintendo keeps placing ALBW after ALttP when it just doesn't fit there. I personally want to see ALBW as a game that sets before ALttP but unfortunately, I have this bad feeling that ALBW is gonna ended being a reboot of ALttP. First off, Nintendo keeps talking about changing the series, they keep lying about ALBW being a sequel to ALttP when it clearly doesn't make sense that way according to the games themselves as well as HH, Aonuma confirmed that there is a surprise at the opening of the game that will shock everyone, ALBW Link's pose in the artwork is possibly for the purpose of ALBW Link being a re-imagined version of ALttP Link, further confirming that ALBW will be a reboot version of ALttP and the first installment for a Zelda reboot. Following that ALBW, Zelda U will be next installment to the Zelda Reboot. It's the fact that there's the possibility of a Zelda reboot that's making me mad.

Actually, I believe it was stated that it wasn't Alttp sequel, but don't hold me to that. But I don't agree that they are going to reboot Alttp, I think its going to be what they say its going to be... A new game. I guess I sorta understand, I mean, it looks a lot like Alttp, and with TWW coming out, it seems like its possible thats what this will be. I disagree though because I don't think Nintendo will bring us two reboots, and if your 'bad feeling' comes true, I will be very surprised.

Now, whether I want a stamina bar or not is not clear to me. On one hand, you have the problem that the stamina bar takes away some strategy. For instance, instead of being careful about how many arrows you use, careful to aim right or risk using your last arrow. You can definitely see using this strategy in OOT in the Gerudo fortress. But on the other hand, a lot of the time its so easy to refill your arrow/bomb/whateverelse supply that it didn't even matter how you used your weapons. So maybe a stamina bar works better.

But still, there were A LOT of moments where I needed to be careful about how I used my things, because the last pot that had arrows in it was many rooms back. But with the stamina bar, you just have to wait for it to fill up again. All this does is make you not use things continuously, which isn't that difficult.

But then again, there were also a lot of moments when I could find anything and everything I needed, and much too often. I guess it really just depends on the game, which is why i'm leaning towards NOT having the stamina bar. It seems to be that the problem of having too many items can be easily fixed by making things more scarce. Of course, then things might be TOO scarce... Its a problem, but I think I'm willing to have them try to find a good balance then the stamina meter :p

And yes, I will wait 'til the game comes out before making a judgment and make sure that blah blah blah... But then again, why do people have the right to say they LOVE something about a game before they play it and not say they HATE something about a game before they play it? Just an observation. I should have just as much as a right to dislike this mechanic(as long as I have good reason too) as you do to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I don't think there is anything wrong with it... I mean, think about it this way: Maybe it is just a stamina meter. I would think you would use energy to fire a bow... I mean, you have to pull it back and all.

I'm mixed about it.

On the one hand: less wasted time making sure I'm stocked on ammunition = good thing.
On the other hand: I think it's kind of pointless to tie it to the meter. Just keep the rate at which you can fire arrows slow enough to balance the game.

Didn't really impact my enjoyment of the demo either way, though.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it... I mean, think about it this way: Maybe it is just a stamina meter. I would think you would use energy to fire a bow... I mean, you have to pull it back and all.

That's a little 83.png if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom