• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Spirit Mask Shop

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
botw concept.jpg
Spoilered for the same reason the previous post explains. This is as far as I'll go with this concept, I was actually thinking about doing the other 3 characters relevant here.

I also tested the dip pen finally, it wasn't difficult at all for me, the only hiccup I had was accidentally putting my hand on the paper before the ink dried and it smeared some areas, but it wasn't too bad. I like this for the most part but I feel like I ruined it by being lazy after I cleaned the pen nib and put it away, and wanted to add an inside line to the master sword, so I used a sharpie fineliner instead and fsr the paper soaks up the ink from it a lot even when I don't press hard (I think it is because the sharpie ink is wetter and not as thick than the india ink I used for the dip pen).

I decided to do this because the last piece in the set of pink haired female link illustrations from 1986 finally got good online scans last week, which made me want to draw her.

20220515_165358.jpg

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Been a while since I posted here, I have done some stuff since my last post, but a lot of it was just experimental.

20220618_224044.jpg

This was a study in rococo style, after a sketch by Tiepolo. I think I captured the essence well enough, which is a lot of sweeping and curved gestural lines. It was pretty challenging! I then inked it, and added a watercolor wash to create shadow areas. It caused the paper I used the wash on to warp a bit, but I was fine with that since this is just a study, I didn't want to use up a piece from my watercolor sketchbooks for something I wasn't sure would turn out well.

20220807_180006.jpg

This one I just finished today, it was my first time using copic markers... and I don't like how it turned out. The pose is cool, but the head is wonky. I knew it before inking and didn't really care because the whole point was to just have something inked to test the copics over.

I should have tested how the green looked before placing it down, it's too dark. I could have salvaged this piece if I would have just did some color test swatches on a page, lol. I would have fixed the head and used color pencils, because color pencils look fantastic on this paper fsr. It also smudged the ink lines when I used lighter colors, which I did not like, so I guess I got the answer I wanted out of the attempt, at least.

I was talking to my friend ebee (a fantastic artist who specializes in alcohol markers), and she told me that the smudging of ink lines is unavoidable with copics, so that's a bummer. (She gave me more tips too, like what paper is best to use markers on, and a valuable explaination of technique to get smooth colors laid down in large areas, all which I am very greatful she shared!)

Anyways, let's end this post with a piece I did that I actually like!

Din.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom