• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Spirit Mask Shop

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
20211025_211927.jpg

I kind of want to leave it as is, it doesn't look bad as a sketch honestly.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Clip Studio Pro is purchased, I decided to do pencils and inks on the same drawing between both apps to see if Krita is worth keeping at all. So here is the result of the penciling phase.

k.jpg

I used to think Krita had really good pencil options, but after playing with pretty much all the ones I like... they just don't stack up to Clip Studio's standard pencil.

Kira.jpg

Clip Studio's pencil looks very close to a real penciled sketch to me, it even allowed me to do some really nice crosshatching. I tried crosshatching in the darker area under the chin with Krita and it didn't turn out well.

So far Clip Studio wins out here.

And in case anyone is wondering, it's a sketch of Light Yagami from Death Note.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Here's the results of inking.

Krita:

k_ink.jpg

Clip Studio:
Kira_ink.jpg

Once again Clip Studio wins out. I don't know if it's just optimized to bring out the potential of my tablet better than Krita, but the accuracy I could get was surprising. I could go over previously drawn lines to thicken them much easier than I can in Krita. Clip Studio also has better screentone features by far.

I kind of expected things to go this way. Tomorrow I'll color both pieces, and everything kind of rests on that. Krita is hyped up for having a really good coloring/painting engine, so I'm excited to see how it will stack up to Clip Studio, if it doesn't have something worthwhile there that I can't also do in Clip Studio, I'm going to move all my projects over to CSP to uninstall Krita.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
So the Krita piece didn't turn out well and isn't good enough to post. I really tried pushing its features, but in the end it could not do what Clip Studio can. Painting in Clip Studio just works better. Overall everything feels more realistic in Clip Studio, and getting the decent results in Krita that I used to get I'm realizing just takes way too long in comparison.

It was a good run with Krita, it is a good program to start out with, but I can't find any feature that Clip Studio doesn't have, or anything that it can do better than Clip Studio.

Kira_color.jpg

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
hands.jpg

Hands on the right are me messing around with trying to simplify the form. I found the method at the top to be easier for me to do with decent results. Then I found I could streamline that even more with the larger process to the right of it, with less effort. The one on the bottom right was a box method I've seen used a lot. I think my end result was ok, but honestly this method feels too complex than it needs to be, I keep thinking surely there most be an easier process for people to simplify the form besides creating a bunch of boxes in space and trying to turn it all into a hand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom