• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Song of Healing: More Dangerous Than We Think?

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Many of us have played Majora's Mask and I have begun to develop a theory on why Majora could have started this rampage. The Song of healing has been seen to save people from damnation or a painful end and gives them peaceful repisite. However what of the malice, the pain, the suffering, where does it go? What if all this evil went inside the masks, making each mask that Link uses the song of healing for is filled with darkness inside.

I do not go without backing up my theories without evidence, shaky or otherwise. Everytime Link puts on one of the transformation masks, Link seems to go through a lot of pain as he screams loudly. This may mean that everytime Link puts on the masks, although he still has his emotions he feels mental pain everytime he wears them.

The next piece of evidence is the Fierce Deity Mask. Every mask in the game that let you transform has always been a mask from a spirit or suffering person who goes on to death normally. What if the Fierce Deity was a Chaotic Demi-God who was on the brink of death, he played the Song of Healing so that way he could go on peacefully however, he left his horrible chaos behind in a mask. I believe almost the same thing for Majora but her past is sketchy.

So what if the events of Majora's Mask had been started because of the Song of Healing leaving behind a terribly powerful evil to be let loose on Termina. So evil that it was able to have a mind of it's own.
Final Piece of evidence is the Happy Mask Salesman's final quote relating to the Mask itself:
"So the evil has left the Mask after all..."
This means that the masks could all be made as seals of sorts that keep the evil inside the masks.
This all may mean that the Song of Healing could have been the reason Majora's Mask started.

I feel like I did something to be proud for and something that makes no sense. Oh well at least it's a good post.

Last edited:

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
A good post it is indeed! And some sense it makes cause if I remember it correctly you also have to "fight" the masks at some point during the fight with Majora. Or maybe she/he/it use the darkness/evil of the masks if your theory is correct. But regarding the transformation masks I am not sure the weird faces is the result of darkness and evil but guess a transformation could hurt anyhow. A bit tired I am right now but hope my post made some sense.

Chris

It has been awhile...
Wow, it does make alot of sense...

Since they do pass their troubles behind in the form of a mask, that could be why Link feels so much pain when using the masks. Also, the idea about Majora, Genius.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
A good post it is indeed! And some sense it makes cause if I remember it correctly you also have to "fight" the masks at some point during the fight with Majora. Or maybe she/he/it use the darkness/evil of the masks if your theory is correct. But regarding the transformation masks I am not sure the weird faces is the result of darkness and evil but guess a transformation could hurt anyhow. A bit tired I am right now but hope my post made some sense.

The evils in the Masks were very powerful when you think about it. They created those four monsters (5 if both Twinmolds are counted.) Each creature didn't seem to serve Majora in a way they seemed to be like rabid dogs who were set loose and went to cause pain and destruction.
Transformations only hurt the first time, however Link suffers this everytime. Something tells me that the evil in the masks can corrupt a person if they are not strong willed (Skull Kid is an example.) Link can hold however because of how he manages to survive transforming into the Feirce Deity without losing control of himself. But I'd have to say that Link was probably scarred from this event.

Dabombster

Do the thing
Site Staff
I doubt the Song of Healing was used on Majora, and I'll explain why...

Every mask that Link used the Song of Healing on made him transform when wearing said mask, correct? When the Skull Kid wore Majora's Mask, no transformation is ever seen aside from him being evil.

Now, if I remember correctly, when the child on the moon gives you the Fierce Deity's Mask, in the item description it says something along the lines of "could this mask really be as evil as Majora?" I always thought that Fierce Deity 'Link' was more of a past version of Link that became corrupted by power or something (it happens, even to the best of them), particularly because of the triangular marking on his left breast-plate, which I believe symbolizes the Triforce.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic

Every mask that Link used the Song of Healing on made him transform when wearing said mask, correct? When the Skull Kid wore Majora's Mask, no transformation is ever seen aside from him being evil.

Now, if I remember correctly, when the child on the moon gives you the Fierce Deity's Mask, in the item description it says something along the lines of "could this mask really be as evil as Majora?" I always thought that Fierce Deity 'Link' was more of a past version of Link that became corrupted by power or something (it happens, even to the best of them), particularly because of the triangular marking on his left breast-plate, which I believe symbolizes the Triforce.

The Masks let Link transform instead of them taking control. Majora had a midn of her own, she controled Skull Kid and waited in the dark. She chose whether to transform or not. Besides as she said
"He could not control my power."
Obviously she chose not to transform on her own will.

I find the triangular mark to be irrelevant unless two others were present. Another thing, you may be half correct. When you think about it, the Triforce made Link a Demi-God; he was stronger than normal Hylians and was still suspectible to death. FDL may be his chaotic counter part who I still think used the song of healing with his last breath.

The mask that Link got by healing Pamela's father did not transform him.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
The mask that Link got by healing Pamela's father did not change his shape.

But note as he was the only one who did not die. The evil of masks may be the negative things the creatures were suffering through life. Plus the Gibdo mask transforming would not work at all for two reasons.
1. It was a curse, not suffering or pain. The curse had been lifted and only gave the illussion of the curse being in effect. It was not a mix of pain and hate, it was manifested magic.
2. Could you imagine walking through levels as a Gibdo? What on earth would you do other than rape monsters and walk slow?

Nope, I highly doubt this. I don't think any of your evidence, Charge, proves this. It seems more like random wondering.

Anyways. For the first part, like El bagu said, being transformed would hurt a lot, so it's no wonder Link screams when he puts on a mask. I know you said that it would only hurt the first time. But how would you know that? It's not like it's possible to turn into another creature on Earth, so no-one would know. It could easily hurt EVERY time.

The second piece of evidence doesn't seem like evidence to me. You've nothing to prove that FD wasn't just a powerful mask. There might never have even been a Fierce Deity, just a powerful magic user who created the mask. Same with Majora. Most likely the mysterious Dark Tribe created Majora's Mask, knew how to control it, and used it.

Third piece of evidence doesn't prove much either. What the Happy Mask Salesman said just meant that the evil of the mask was defeated. Link killed it, so of course it's gone now. Also, if the masks acted as seals for evil, how was Majora able to show its true form in the final battle? The mask didn't stop it from coming out.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Nope, I highly doubt this. I don't think any of your evidence, Charge, proves this. It seems more like random wondering.

Anyways. For the first part, like El bagu said, being transformed would hurt a lot, so it's no wonder Link screams when he puts on a mask. I know you said that it would only hurt the first time. But how would you know that? It's not like it's possible to turn into another creature on Earth, so no-one would know. It could easily hurt EVERY time.

The second piece of evidence doesn't seem like evidence to me. You've nothing to prove that FD wasn't just a powerful mask. There might never have even been a Fierce Deity, just a powerful magic user who created the mask. Same with Majora. Most likely the mysterious Dark Tribe created Majora's Mask, knew how to control it, and used it.

Third piece of evidence doesn't prove much either. What the Happy Mask Salesman said just meant that the evil of the mask was defeated. Link killed it, so of course it's gone now. Also, if the masks acted as seals for evil, how was Majora able to show its true form in the final battle? The mask didn't stop it from coming out.

1. Link doesn't seem to have a problem turning into Wolf Link in Twilight Princess after the first time. He was transformed into wolf Link forcibly by Zant and he didn't show pain.

2. Then what is FDL? A manifestation of magic that appears to have evil in itself? Magic in it's purest form has no definition of evil (as evidenced by the Triforce). The most logical answer is that he is a creature himself, living creatures all have evil in them and bend magic to work with evil.

3. The evil was in the mask and if my evidence is correct then it was kept in it. Plus there are times when seals are broken. Not to mention that the mask only could talk through Skull_Kid from the beggining of the game. Apparantly it was storing it's power as the days would pass and when the time came Majora broke her seal.

1. Link doesn't seem to have a problem turning into Wolf Link in Twilight Princess after the first time. He was transformed into wolf Link forcibly by Zant and he didn't show pain.

Different game, different time. There was no need for gamers to hear Link screaming in pain every time. And also, Wolf Link was a part of Link himself, whereas the masks were magical objects, which could entirely change things.

2. Then what is FDL? A manifestation of magic that appears to have evil in itself? Magic in it's purest form has no definition of evil (as evidenced by the Triforce). The most logical answer is that he is a creature himself, living creatures all have evil in them and bend magic to work with evil.

First of all, I'd like a reference to that "Magic in it's purest form has no definition of evil". Where did that come from? The Triforce itself has no evil because it was made by the Gods. Even so, the Triforce can easily assist in evil, as shown by Ganon/dorf. FDL, I'd say, is the embodiment of the evil power of the mask, just like Majora.

3. The evil was in the mask and if my evidence is correct then it was kept in it. Plus there are times when seals are broken. Not to mention that the mask only could talk through Skull_Kid from the beggining of the game. Apparantly it was storing it's power as the days would pass and when the time came Majora broke her seal.

That's my point; I think this is too much guess-work. If Majora is such a powerful being (which it obviously is), then why couldn't it have broken it's "seal" long ago? By what the Happy Mask Salesman tells us, it seems as though the "Dark Tribe" was in existence long ago. If the evil in the mask could just build up it's powers and escape, and in just 3 days time, it probably could have done so ages ago. No, I don't think there is any seal. I think that the Mask itself was cursed, and the only thing that prevented it from wreaking havoc was because it was probably hidden in a safe place.

LucarioMaster

lucario shoen
Many of us have played Majora's Mask and I have begun to develop a theory on why Majora could have started this rampage. The Song of healing has been seen to save people from damnation or a painful end and gives them peaceful repisite. However what of the malice, the pain, the suffering, where does it go? What if all this evil went inside the masks, making each mask that Link uses the song of healing for is filled with darkness inside.

I do not go without backing up my theories without evidence, shaky or otherwise. Everytime Link puts on one of the transformation masks, Link seems to go through a lot of pain as he screams loudly. This may mean that everytime Link puts on the masks, although he still has his emotions he feels mental pain everytime he wears them.

The next piece of evidence is the Fierce Deity Mask. Every mask in the game that let you transform has always been a mask from a spirit or suffering person who goes on to death normally. What if the Fierce Deity was a Chaotic Demi-God who was on the brink of death, he played the Song of Healing so that way he could go on peacefully however, he left his horrible chaos behind in a mask. I believe almost the same thing for Majora but her past is sketchy.

So what if the events of Majora's Mask had been started because of the Song of Healing leaving behind a terribly powerful evil to be let loose on Termina. So evil that it was able to have a mind of it's own.
Final Piece of evidence is the Happy Mask Salesman's final quote relating to the Mask itself:
"So the evil has left the Mask after all..."
This means that the masks could all be made as seals of sorts that keep the evil inside the masks.
This all may mean that the Song of Healing could have been the reason Majora's Mask started.

I feel like I did something to be proud for and something that makes no sense. Oh well at least it's a good post.
well... demis= half demi= half so demis god = half a god so...
the ferice deitiy was an all powerful demis god (deity=god) so after(just a little long) link get the fd mask (fd=ferice dieity) and uses it on majora... link turns into the fd the powerful demis god... i have no clue if this helps or not but demis is greek for half

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Different game, different time. There was no need for gamers to hear Link screaming in pain every time. And also, Wolf Link was a part of Link himself, whereas the masks were magical objects, which could entirely change things.

First of all, I'd like a reference to that "Magic in it's purest form has no definition of evil". Where did that come from? The Triforce itself has no evil because it was made by the Gods. Even so, the Triforce can easily assist in evil, as shown by Ganon/dorf. FDL, I'd say, is the embodiment of the evil power of the mask, just like Majora.

That's my point; I think this is too much guess-work. If Majora is such a powerful being (which it obviously is), then why couldn't it have broken it's "seal" long ago? By what the Happy Mask Salesman tells us, it seems as though the "Dark Tribe" was in existence long ago. If the evil in the mask could just build up it's powers and escape, and in just 3 days time, it probably could have done so ages ago. No, I don't think there is any seal. I think that the Mask itself was cursed, and the only thing that prevented it from wreaking havoc was because it was probably hidden in a safe place.

I give up on 2 and 3 because I lack sufficient evidence to back me up.

Number 1: OOT Link had more experience with pain than TP Link seeing as he had gone on two journeys at the point of MM. He had taken pain before from stronger enemies than TP Link ever had to face. (The hearts that the enemies could take and how fast they hit attributed to a lot.) Wolf Link wasn't Link himself and was his body being transformed by dark magic. Plus the thing that changed Link was itself a magical object.

I give up on 2 and 3 because I lack sufficient evidence to back me up.

That was kind of what I was trying to say; you don't really have enough evidence for this. Not to say it's not interesting.

Number 1: OOT Link had more experience with pain than TP Link seeing as he had gone on two journeys at the point of MM. He had taken pain before from stronger enemies than TP Link ever had to face. (The hearts that the enemies could take and how fast they hit attributed to a lot.) Wolf Link wasn't Link himself and was his body being transformed by dark magic. Plus the thing that changed Link was itself a magical object.

I don't think you can really take things like that as actually canonical evidence. Sound effects (like Link screaming) differ from game to game, damage that the enemies deal also vary.
About Wolf Link; well, Wolf Link sort of was Link's Twilight Realm counterpart. Whenever he came into contact with Twilight, he was turned into a wolf. Until he recieved the Master Sword, of course. You are right about the magic object transforming him into a wolf; however, I still think it wouldn't hurt as much, as Wolf Link is still his counterpart.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
That was kind of what I was trying to say; you don't really have enough evidence for this. Not to say it's not interesting.

I don't think you can really take things like that as actually canonical evidence. Sound effects (like Link screaming) differ from game to game, damage that the enemies deal also vary.
About Wolf Link; well, Wolf Link sort of was Link's Twilight Realm counterpart. Whenever he came into contact with Twilight, he was turned into a wolf. Until he recieved the Master Sword, of course. You are right about the magic object transforming him into a wolf; however, I still think it wouldn't hurt as much, as Wolf Link is still his counterpart.

I accept shaky evidence (just not impossibly shaky) enemies dealing damage show strength. (I just don't accept that kind of evidence for the timeline unless it makes to much sense.) The enemies in Twilight Princess were weaker to the older enemies.
That still doesn't change the fact that he was being twisted by evil magic. Counterpart or not, your body is changing it's normal functions and by unnatural means (evil magic should increase the pain.) You had mentioned this in different words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom