• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The shrines are just simulators

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Idk if someone already made a similar thread.
There is no way that such a huge space exists beneath the shrines especially if you consider the location of a few shrines. It also such a waste of energy dig up all of it. Instead the Sheikah built a pod beneath the surface and each monk is actually a developer that encoded themselves inside. They made it such that everytime Link makes a mistake an electric impulse to be sent through his brain to feel the pain irl.

We could also notice that the system heals him once he completes the trials. So he's back to full hearts.

Notice how the monks (impossible age for physical existence) vanish pixel-ly instead of dropping dead.

The simulator does not allow Link to use Champions' power inside the shrines because unlike runes they're magical powers bestowed to Link and the computer could not read it.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I've seen this theory before, or something like it. The theory posits that the shrines are something like a simulated enviroment that Link is interacting with.

The other theory is, of course, that these are just huge underground areas that have been created, and that isn't as far fetched as it sounds. They could have used modified guardians to do the work. It looks like the scale at which they could build was massive, just look at the Divine Beasts, and the time to do all of that work was probably not very long. Those elevators in the shrines are very long, so the areas are probably pretty deep.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
And should Link take the blue pill, or the red one?

Honestly given the existence of the sheikah slate this really isn't much of a stretch. I think I read a good theory once that the whole weapon system for the sheikah slate is based around virtual weaponry. Link finds a weapon, it gets scanned into his sheikah slate, and then he can summon it at any time. And when it breaks, it explodes into glowing blue fragments. Its essentially the same as the remote bombs. And assuming every item gets filtered into the slate like this it makes sense if the shrines are fake that Link can keep any items he finds inside. We even see this happen with the motorcycle.

Another reason I like this idea is that while yes, it's possible that the shrines are an actual space, the logistics of that are insane. Some shrines are on cliffs or mountain peaks where there'd be no room for the shrine- obvious answer, super long elevator. But how far do we honestly think sheikah can dig? Some of those shines have bottomless pits in them. And how long do we think those Sheikah monks can live for in there? It makes a lot more sense if they've simply downloaded their consciousness. I guess you can compare getting heart containers to cashing in your digital rewards. And another logistics issue- the master sword trial. 54 floors. Living monsters. Living wildlife. Those are things that would be hard to keep alive for thousands of years but easy to simulate. It's like when Link pulls out fireflies.

If it's not clear enough already, I'm a strong supporter of the idea that these are just training sims. Hero gets the sheikah slate, sheikah slate connects with the towers, towers power the shrines, Hero enters the shrines to get cool upgrades and experience for the final boss. It's a good system.

While I am not a fan of the theory that all of Breath of the Wild is a simulation, I am a fan of the theory that the insides of the shrines are, at least partly, simulated. We don't even need to go full Matrix simulation, either. It could be something more akin to the holodeck from Star Trek. 99% of it could be simulated, just like how the Slate simulates equipment, and gives a small space the appearance of being huge. This would allow the monks to be as real as Maz Koshia. I also like the idea that weapons shatter due to a memory leak within the Slate.

Much like the Hyrulean landmarks in the sword training w/ the Hero's Shade from TP and the replicated Faron Woods, Lanayru Desert and Eldin Volcano Silent Realms in SS, it makes the most sense to me that the shrines are simulated pocket realities in the Sacred Realm, and the Trial of the Sword is the best example of this.

The Sheikah Slate controlling weapon durability and serving, itself, as Link's infinte backpack is a theory I've always been down with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom