• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Shiekah: Telepaths, and the "man" in the Well?

Fierce

Deity Link
Edit: Yes, sorry the title is mispelled. :(

After watching a video on the new "visions" from OOT3D... I really think the Shiekah race had telepathic powers.

The first time I had this theory was after I saw the Sheikah psychic (In my opinion and many others) in Twilight Princess, aka Madame Fanadi.
Fortuneteller.jpg
^ Above, madame Fanadi.
(Note the Shiekah symbol on her forehead and her red eyes.)

She had 'visions' of the future that were indeed correct... and now a system similar to her visions... 'Visions' in OOT is accessed by giant green glowing Sheikah stones. Moreover, the mask of truth (depicting the Sheikah symbol) enables even non-sheikah telepathy with their telepathic stones, the gossip stones and in MM, animals.

Perhaps it extends beyond this though...
The man whose house used to stand where the well does... I believe refers not to a single man but rather ALL the Sheikah of Kakariko (save Impa).
The eyes that see the truth are perhaps the eyes of ALL the red eye'd Sheikah and the Well is the crypt that seals away the entire "Bloody History of Hyrule... i.e. the Sheikah Catacombs, aka The Kakariko Well.
The Eye of Truth, was likely a device made by the Sheikah for the royal family so that they too may see the truth, which would explain why there is only one in existance seemingly (Other than the Termina eye).

So the red eyes of the Sheikah may perhaps have the ability to sense the future and see the truth. Knowing the truth can at times be fatal, and perhaps... they learned too much and the royal family betrayed them and had them massacred.

What do you think?

Mangekyo Sharingan!

^ignore above reference.

Anyway, your theory makes a lot of sense. Sheikah may have the inherent ability to see the "truth". They might just have ESP sight (term?) altogether. Their sight can probably transcend the normal sight restraints of the other races. Realistically, they would probably have terrible eye sight, with the red pupils and all.

i agree with above sense there is the lens of truth and the stones of truth forgot there name. This could also explain why such power would be sealed away i mean if you could see the future you would try to change it if your evil.

Djinn

and Tonic
It is an interesting theory, there are a few common themes among the Shiekah each time they are mentioned. The eye does appear on all of their artifacts and is their tribe symbol. Second their main attribute is perception, either by seeing the truth through the lens, hearing the truth through the mask and gossip stones, or feeling the truth through the stone of agony.

From the few pieces of story that exists on the man in the well, it seemed to me that the ability of the man in the well was considered odd. Or that he was uniquely different in some way.
"A long time ago... There was a man in this very village who had an eye they said could see the truth! Now usually, you have to train your mind's eye most strenuously to actually see the truth... But this fella, no, they say he had a different way of doing things... His house stood where the well is now..." — Old Man in Kakariko Village
The way it is worded, it does not quite lead me to believe that the man in the well is a Shiekah, since he seems to be cheating in a way by using the lens to see the truth. The old man has knowledge of the Shiekah and their history so he might know more on their abilities.
"Have you heard the legend of the "Shadow Folk"? They are the Sheikah...the shadows of the Hylians. They say they swore allegiance to the King of Hyrule and guarded the Royal Family. But with the long peace, no one has seen a Sheikah around here for a long time." — Old Man
The spirits in the temple also mention truth over and over again. So there must be some method used by the other Shiekah that hold a similar ability.
"I can hear the spirits whispering in this room... "Look for the eye of truth..." That's what they are saying!" — Navi
The inscription on the wall mentions "having the eye" as if it were an item to be held and used.
"One who gains the eye of truth will be able to see what is hidden in the darkness." — Shadow Temple Fake Wall
It could be possible that the inscription means the eye of truth itself, but the player is led top believe it means the lens of truth. At least that is how it works for Link. However we do not know if Impa had a similar item or had the trained her mind's eye the old man mentioned. It is generally safe to assume that she had, as training might be a part of Shiekah custom. They were known for their magical ability

One thing I find interesting is the Mask of Truth and how it appears in Termina as well. It also mentions being capable of reading thoughts and communicating with animals.
"The mask that can see into people's hearts and minds also seems to work on animals as well..." — Gossip Stone
So if they were not capable of magical telepathy, they definitely had the ability to produce items that gave them the ability. The mask might have been more common than the lens since the old man's story speaks of the man in the well as being unique. He did not mention his ability to see the truth as a trait of a tribe or group.

Alternatively a little more info was mentioned in Wind Waker. The King mentions the stone Tetra gives you is based on the gossip stones and that he created it.
"That stone is an enhanced version of the Gossip Stones long spoken of in the legends of the Hyrulian Royal Family. I am the one who made it." — Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule
As far as being killed off by the Royal family, I cannot find much evidence on it. Only that they fell into decline through a few sources. The manga makes the only mention of a betrayal by the royal family but that story was not canon. From what is mentioned by the few NPCs that mention them, they are the loyal attendants of the Royal family and seem to be the ones who accomplish most of the dirty work and maintain that all that dirty laundry stays hidden. An inscription at the beginning of the shadow Temple mentions something about this.
Shadow Temple... Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred..
The temple is known and run by the Royal Family's most loyal attendants and it stays hidden deep behind Kakariko. From what I gathered here I would assume the Shiekah were tasked with searching for all info of the happenings within the kingdom, possibly kept within the gossip stones, and were the secret police or jailers of dissidents in the Shadow Temple. Shiek also knowing all about the many temples, the story of the Triforce, and slowly reveals hints to Link throughout the game, then mentions that they are the legends passed down through her people. The might be the main lorekeepers within Hyrule.

Before I saw Din's post, I was against this Theory :P However, I do not believe that Fanadi is a sheika, since both the other Sheikas in the series; Impa and Impaz, had in addition to red eyes, grey/white hair, she could be part sheika though, and also, the Sheika eye has been used on alot of other stuff too, so it does not nessecarily mean that she has something to do with the sheika.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Now that I think about this, though, I don't think that woman is actually a Sheikah. While I can't prove she isn't, we know that Impa was the last of the Sheikah, and that Impaz was her descendant, and probably her only one. The Sheikah eye has had many cameo appearances that have meant nothing, as well. The one on that fat chick could just be one of them. That's must me talking, though. You don't have to listen to me.

Fierce

Deity Link
Now that I think about this, though, I don't think that woman is actually a Sheikah. While I can't prove she isn't, we know that Impa was the last of the Sheikah, and that Impaz was her descendant, and probably her only one. The Sheikah eye has had many cameo appearances that have meant nothing, as well. The one on that fat chick could just be one of them. That's must me talking, though. You don't have to listen to me.

Well, the three with painted faces in Hyrule Castle Town are supposed to represent remnants of the lost races, and evidence that all the tribes melded overtime and mixed with the Hylians.
Agatha= Kokiri (yes they can leave the forest, as seen at the end of Ocarina of Time),
-lives in castle that has a giant tree in the middle, and resembles one... with haircut and everything.

Telma= Gerudo
- Skin color, seems to have affection for the other theorized Gerudo (The kakariko shaman), Symbol on her dress is the new Gerudo Symbol (Onyx's symbol that is used to replace the reverse cresent star- removed due to similarity to the Muslim cresent star)

Fanadi= Sheikah
- Red eyes, strange powers... Bears the Shiekah face paint.

The Sheikah did not die out, rather they made their own hidden village in the mountains and called it Old Kakariko. Over time the village became infested with monsters, and the Sheikah moved on, but Impaz did not. The reason Impaz stayed was because she had to wait for the messenger of the heavens, so that she could set them on the right path. The other Sheikah were not bound by this. Impa is likely the last Sheikah who stayed bound to the Royal family, and the leader of her people. The rest, were likely relocated to a new town. Sheik saying she was the last of the Sheikah was obviously a lie: 1. She's a hylian. 2. Impa was still alive at this point.

Nothing in Zelda can be taken at the face value. You need to read between the lines, and realize there is much mystery behind everything. Especially the elusive Sheikah.
Like the Garo, said to have died out in Termina... I believe their deaths are greatly exaggerated.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Well, the three with painted faces in Hyrule Castle Town are supposed to represent remnants of the lost races, and evidence that all the tribes melded overtime and mixed with the Hylians.
Agatha= Kokiri (yes they can leave the forest, as seen at the end of Ocarina of Time),
-lives in castle that has a giant tree in the middle, and resembles one... with haircut and everything.

Telma= Gerudo
- Skin color, seems to have affection for the other theorized Gerudo (The kakariko shaman), Symbol on her dress is the new Gerudo Symbol (Onyx's symbol that is used to replace the reverse cresent star- removed due to similarity to the Muslim cresent star)

Fanadi= Sheikah
- Red eyes, strange powers... Bears the Shiekah face paint.

....Pretty sure that isn't very legit. Agitha in no way represents a Kokiri, and I don't see the others, either. That's reading into stuff that's not really there.

The Sheikah did not die out, rather they made their own hidden village in the mountains and called it Old Kakariko. Over time the village became infested with monsters, and the Sheikah moved on, but Impaz did not. The reason Impaz stayed was because she had to wait for the messenger of the heavens, so that she could set them on the right path. The other Sheikah were not bound by this. Impa is likely the last Sheikah who stayed bound to the Royal family, and the leader of her people. The rest, were likely relocated to a new town. Sheik saying she was the last of the Sheikah was obviously a lie: 1. She's a hylian. 2. Impa was still alive at this point.

Nothing in Zelda can be taken at the face value. You need to read between the lines, and realize there is much mystery behind everything. Especially the elusive Sheikah.
Like the Garo, said to have died out in Termina... I believe their deaths are greatly exaggerated.

Impa was the last of the Sheikah. They (almost) died in the Unification War, the war in the backstory of Ocarina of Time. It's said on the tablet at the entrance to the graveyard. And the Garo did die out. It was their spirits that remained their. This is directly stated in-game. You're under a huge misconception. (And Sheik didn't say he was the last. He said "survivor of the Sheikah." There's a difference.)

Fierce

Deity Link
I think you are still taking things at face value Juice. The Garomaster is implied to be a living garo, as he uses bombs to kill himself... meaning the death of garos was probably a fabrication.

Also, you have no reference for them all dying out in this 'unification war.' They said they all mysteriously disappeared. I'm sure many died, but there's likely others.
As for Agitha:
Here

Agitha is sometimes thought of as a throwback to the Kokiri, as she is a child living without an adult and has a tree inside her home. This is similar to how Telma is thought of a reference to the Gerudo and Madame Fanadi to the Sheikah. The three all wear three dots of makeup under their eyes, red, blue, and green (likely a symbol to the Goddesses, who are symbolized by these colors). -Zelda Wiki
Sometimes theories aren't going to have facts, and sometimes the game may deliberately lie to you. The Sheikah could have faked their own deaths so they can live in secret. That's not to far off base as a possibility. Of course I could be wrong, but I love speculating.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I think you are still taking things at face value Juice. The Garomaster is implied to be a living garo, as he uses bombs to kill himself... meaning the death of garos was probably a fabrication.

Also, you have no reference for them all dying out in this 'unification war.' They said they all mysteriously disappeared. I'm sure many died, but there's likely others.
As for Agitha:
Here

Sometimes theories aren't going to have facts, and sometimes the game may deliberately lie to you. The Sheikah could have faked their own deaths so they can live in secret. That's not to far off base as a possibility. Of course I could be wrong, but I love speculating.

If the game says they died out and didn't truly suggest anything else, I'm going to go with that. That's not taking something at face value. That's going with what's said. And the graves in the Kakariko Graveyard are the Sheikah, man. As for Agitha...that's Zelda Wiki. Can't really trust every single thing that's said there, as it's a wiki.

Fierce

Deity Link
You have a point. Maybe Madame Fanadi is posing as a Sheikah to make her powers seem legitimate. I suppose the three could just be references to the races of OOT... but still be Hylians? I think we can agree that they have features of those races... I mean look at Telma. How can you not see Gerudo in that? They have the Gerudo symbol on her dress...

The Sheikah likely as you say, did die out. The graves in Kakariko are of the Sheikah. As my favorite race, I always hold hope in my heart that they survive somehow. Hopefully Skyward Sword will have some Sheikah in it! That would make it instantly my second favorite Zelda. (MM will never be dethroned)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
You have a point. Maybe Madame Fanadi is posing as a Sheikah to make her powers seem legitimate. I suppose the three could just be references to the races of OOT... but still be Hylians? I think we can agree that they have features of those races... I mean look at Telma. How can you not see Gerudo in that? They have the Gerudo symbol on her dress...

The Sheikah likely as you say, did die out. The graves in Kakariko are of the Sheikah. As my favorite race, I always hold hope in my heart that they survive somehow. Hopefully Skyward Sword will have some Sheikah in it! That would make it instantly my second favorite Zelda. (MM will never be dethroned)

In my opinion, those symbols were cameos. That's my my opinion, though. I'm not downing on you, I'm just pointing out what I see. It is an interesting theory, I'll give you that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom