• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Shaving Thread

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Due to recent discussions in the shoutbox with @the8thark and @Azure Sage, the great Deus (Winner of the golden key for best thread starter of 2016) has decided to come out of retirement and to grace the general discussion area with another one of his glorious threads.

This is the shaving thread. I want to know what everyone's shaving habits are. What razors and foams are used. If anyone has any recommendations for products. This is the place for it.

Last edited:

Pen

The game is on!
I very rarely shave properly anymore. It's a mix of my laziness and the fact that I like the way my facial hair looks. What I do is I just trim it with scissors once every 7 or 14 days or so. ^^

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well I have just about every type of razor going. I have a cutthroat razor which Inwas given a few christmases ago and I use it for the closest facial shaves. I find they give the best results though it took about 100 shaves before I stopped cutting myself with it.

I also have a Phillips one blade which gives less irritation to the skin. I recommend this one for you to try @Azure Sage . It doesn't give the closest shave but it gives a decent result. I like to use this one for quickness and easiness.

I don't like facial hair so I have to shave my face regularly. Daily or every other day but I prefer to do it daily. I'd rather it never grew back to be honest. It would make my life much easier.

I have a Gillette Fusion pro glide which is good for use on the body.

Also have a travel electric razor and some disposable razors but I tend to just take the oneblade with me.

I use Erasmic shaving cream for a wet shave. It's cheap and it does the job I want it to.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I despise having facial hair and if I could permanently get rid of mine I’d do it in a heartbeat. I do not look good with a beard and it’s so itchy and uncomfortable. I would shave every day if I could, but I have to wait at least four days until it’s thick enough that I don’t get tons of shaving cuts. Maybe I will keep an eye out for that razor, @Deus next time I’m out.

Reactions: Dio

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Justa hair trimmer cuz I'm a lazy slob. You know it's going down when I break out the disposable razor and cream.

I keep a goatee, so the neck stays trimmed (usually - or until I can't put up with the scrag anymore) and the lip and chin get trimmed back. I can't get anything other than sparse hair on my cheeks so a full beard is somewhat out of the question.

I use a safety razor with shave soap applied with a brush. Looks more or less like this.

It's much cheaper than cartridge razors once you get past the initial investment cost and it gives a closer shave. Plus I haven't cut myself shaving in years.

Last edited:

Dan

I've never had issues with shaving which I always find weird whenever talking about it with friends or looking at the thread comments here. I usually shave with ****ty cheap disposable razors whilst taking a shower. Due to the heat and water I don't need to use shaving foam and I cut that way. If I take a bath I'll shave whilst submerged underwater. I rarely ever cut myself. I've attempted shaving the normal way with shaving foam and it's horrible.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I trim, **** shaving I look like I'm 10.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I don’t shave yet bc I don’t have face hair T.T
If I did though I would probably use a straight edge razor bc it seems pretty sick and I like the idea of hand shaving.

I don’t shave yet bc I don’t have face hair T.T
If I did though I would probably use a straight edge razor bc it seems pretty sick and I like the idea of hand shaving.
If you do go with a straight razor look into wetshaving communities, they'll give you all sorts of pointers and quality product recommendations.

Ninja

Well well well
I've pretty much used most of the shaving options on the market such as beard trimmers, high end foil shavers, rotary shavers, straight edge razors, and traditional store razors with a badger brush kit. I'm the hairiest Asian alive, I can grow a full beard in about 4 days, the typical 5 o'clock shadow arrives at noon for me, it's a blessing and a curse, however it gives me great variety. My skin is incredibly sensitive, plus my neck hair can grow in many different directions, so below is my perfect setup.

I subscribe to Dollar Shave Club. I use the highest end blade they offer which is The Executive, and it has five blades, plus a straight edge blade on the reverse side for lining up the sideburns. It blows the Gillette's out of the water from a quality, and price point. It's $9 per month with free shipping. You get a pack of blades, and the handle, with some pretty cool packaging. You can delay shipments to stretch your dollar, but it's truly worth every penny. Their shave butter is fantastic, however I opt for Cremo Cooling Shave Cream at the local market.

Routine:
1. Hot shower to open up those pores and loosen up the facial hair.
2. Light lather of my face with Cremo peppermint shave cream, a little goes a long way.
3. Get my DSC blade hot, and make one pass going with the grain, second pass against the grain for closeness.
4. Rinse the cream and hair off, then apply cleansing facial scrub.
5. Repeat every other day.

This method keeps my shave close with absolute minimal irritation or cuts. I've dropped a decent amount of money trying all types of shavers and shaving methods, however the above works the best for my skin and my facial hair in general. I use a standard beard trimmer with a guard to trim the beard length and manscape. Being clean shaven definitely gives me a younger look, and having the option to rock a confident man look with a full (but well groomed) beard is great.

Note: I have not tried the Oneblade, however I feel like with foil trimmers, I won't get the closeness I want. I'll have to do more research to form a more educated opinion on it.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Note: I have not tried the Oneblade, however I feel like with foil trimmers, I won't get the closeness I want. I'll have to do more research to form a more educated opinion on it.
You won't get a close shave with the oneblade. It is good if you have sensitive skin and it's quick. You'll look presentable after shaving with it but the hair will be back quickly. I recon you'd need to use daily to get the look you wanted with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom