• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler The Shards and Portals to Hyrule

I have another theory about the Shards here, but this is something else.

According to a new preview by the TourianTourist (if you haven't read it, it's on the homepage) the Gear menu features slots for Shards, called "broken slates" here, that fit inside the Godess Statue.
We've heard about these Shards before, but now with a new detail:
On upper right side there was a space for four broken slates. I asked what they were good for and the Nintendo employee could only tell me that you had to collect these early in the game and that they were inserted into the Goddess statue. But the first slate had a green crystal on it.

This reminded me of something I read in another preview, which has gone mostly unnoticed:

From G4tv.com's playthrough:
Using a piece of stone, Link is able to open a green beam of light which appears in the clouds

Now, it seems to me that the first Shard/"broken slate" is the "piece of stone" used to open the Portal to Faron Woods. It fits together perfectly, since the Shard also has a green crystal, corresponding with the green beam.
This means that the Shards will be needed to open portals to Hyrule.

It also means that there won't be 3 provinces, like previously thought, but 4! If every Shard opens a province, 4 Shards would mean 4 provinces!
Of course, the last Shard could also unlock something else, like the dome of clouds up in Skyloft or something similar.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Pen

The game is on!
Wow! Those were some grand finds! If this is indeed the case then it's a lot better than I had thought! I thought three provinces were a little too few, even though we've got the entire Sky above.

With four provinces this game will be more similar to Majora's Mask. We already knew that Skyloft would be a place one returns to to buy stuff, similar to Clock Town. We also knew there would be a lot to do outside of dungeons. And now with the four provinces below the Sky Skyward Sword will seem even more like Majora's Mask.

I utterly hope that you theory is correct, Yonatesf. It would be extraordinary grand!

I really don't see what makes you think there will be 4 Provinces. The fourth one was Ordona in TP, and that was founded much later in Hyrule's history. Can you explain a little better? :)

I knew I should've explained this better...:P

If this theory is correct, it would mean that the Shards open up portals to different provinces/areas. According to the TourianTourist there are 4 Shard-slots in the Gear-menu, which would mean there are 4 Shards. If every Shard unlocks an area, there would have to be 4 areas in total, unless the last one uncovers the dome of clouds in Skyloft or something similar, which has also crossed my mind.

Hope that clarifies it, I'll update the OP too.

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Maybe the Shards unlock Temples, and the fourth one is in the Goddess Statue. It's big enough to be one, and the Skyloftians might not even be aware of what's hidden in there. We haven't seen what we're supposed to be looking for yet anyhow; that is, what we collect from defeating Bosses (Fused Shards, Boss Masks, etc.). Maybe next we'll be seeking out pieces to upgrade the Goddess Sword into the Master Sword.

I don't understand why people are content with this stupid collect-a-thon stuff without any PURPOSE. >_>

Maybe the Shards unlock Temples, and the fourth one is in the Goddess Statue. It's big enough to be one, and the Skyloftians might not even be aware of what's hidden in there. We haven't seen what we're supposed to be looking for yet anyhow; that is, what we collect from defeating Bosses (Fused Shards, Boss Masks, etc.). Maybe next we'll be seeking out pieces to upgrade the Goddess Sword into the Master Sword.

That's probably the Shards, at least for the first part of the game. An article from Destructoid states that we get a Shard after defeating Ghirahim.

The fourth shard may correspond to the lake. That would make sense since it is the fourth area we know about.

I don't remember what trailer it's from, but I thought that in one of the videos it showed Link shooting a sword beam at the Bird Crest thing (the Royal Family crest with no Triforce) in the Sacred Grounds, so I assumed that maybe that would open the way to the next area o.o

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I knew I should've explained this better...:P

If this theory is correct, it would mean that the Shards open up portals to different provinces/areas. According to the TourianTourist there are 4 Shard-slots in the Gear-menu, which would mean there are 4 Shards. If every Shard unlocks an area, there would have to be 4 areas in total, unless the last one uncovers the dome of clouds in Skyloft or something similar, which has also crossed my mind.

Hope that clarifies it, I'll update the OP too.

I see. My personal theory is these shards are what upgrade the Goddess Sword and that Fi is the one that opens the portals (which I think was confirmed back at E3 2011).

Makes perfect sense. This is great!! TT___TT

But nothing prevent the 4th shard from being the final area beacon and not a proper province (i guess that's what Juice meant). It's not very likely, it's kinda of stupid, actually, the final or even a pre-final area has to be something/somewhere special that will be unlocked through a series of events, cut-scenes etc, and not a regular slot.

Wow if there really is 4 areas in total I would have fun exploring the 4 provinces along with whats ever in the sky!. This is getting me even more hyped! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom