• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art The Sage's Orbs

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Alright, so sorry for taking so long with this, I just procrastinated doing it because getting things off of my laptop is a pain. :\ So here is the first part, enjoy. ^^

The Sage’s Orbs

By Raindrop14

Chapter one: Meetings

It was the typical day for Kirana; do nothing but watch the entrance for someone to enter their itty-bitty village. The reason for it being itty bitty is that it was in the middle of a forest, infested with dangerous creatures; and no one wanted to bother with visiting or living there, save a small handful obviously. Every day Kirana watched that entrance, not just because she was so bored, but she was actually waiting for someone to come through that stone arch.

The town was structured so that her house was directly across from the entrance, and so it was actually easy to look and wait on her own property. There were very few houses that made a hallway of sorts leading to the arch, and the rest of the buildings creating the ‘hallway’ were a shop and smithy. It just shows you how small this place was. There was a tower on either side of the arch, where the guards of the town took residence.

And so Kirana sat where she usually sat, in front of her house underneath the window that lead to her bedroom inside. She assumed there to be nothing new to happen today either, but she was proven wrong when a girl she’d never seen before in this town came out of one of the houses.

I’ve lived here for sixteen years, and not once have I seen her. Kirana thought, puzzled at the girl’s sudden appearance. But strangely, she looks familiar…

The girl had two long dark brown French braids falling at her back, but her facial features were hidden with her being turned away from Kirana. Kirana wanted to see who the girl was, but stayed at her house to seem less conspicuous. The girl disappeared into the shop, and Kirana was left wondering. It was very odd to see a new face, especially since Kirana had always stayed waiting outside her home for the longest time, and she’d never seen this girl come in.

The girl came out of the shop soon after and headed into the house nearest Kirana’s.

Had she really lived so close to me?

Kirana wasted no time in getting up and walking over to the girl’s house. Perhaps if she friendly knocked on the door and asked her name, she wouldn’t sound too suspicious; after all, it’s sort of neighborly to get to know the people of the town.

Kirana made up her mind and knocked three times on the wood. The girl from earlier opened it, and Kirana could now see her more clearly. The girl’s light blue tunic stood out, as it was uncommon to wear bright colors nowadays. But the rest of her garb, being just tights and leather boots, were normally seen. She was wearing a necklace with an emerald green stone in the center of a gold plate. Her eyes matched the stone in her necklace like a pair of socks, and they both shone like jewls in the sun.

Although Kirana’s own garb wasn’t normal either. She wore long blue shorts that went past her knees, odd for a girl but they had sentimental value. She wore a plain white shirt, with a red vest over it. She certainly was an oddly dressed girl, more so that this other girl.

Kirana forgot what she was going to say for a minute, but remembered herself with a quick shake of her head.

“Hi, I couldn’t help my curiosity, but mind my asking your name?” Kirana asked, smiling awkwardly.

The girl eyed her suspiciously, but continued the conversation nonetheless. “My name is Tekara Ki. I suppose it’s a pleasure to meet you, but this meeting isn’t what one would expect to happen on any given day.” She joked at the end to seem more friendly.

“Yeah. Oh my name is Kirana by the way,” Kirana said in ebarrasment. “And I can’t help but wonder, have we met before? I feel like I know you from somewhere.”

“It’s possible, I’ve lived here my whole life. How long have you been a residant?”

“Same as you, but I don’t recall ever seeing you. I mean, here.”

Kirana realized that her statement was unusual, for where could she have ever been but in this itty bitty town her whole life? But she knew she had never seen this girl here, she had seen her somewhere else. As to where, she had no clue.

“I feel the same, that I know you somehow, but I don’t see it likely being true.” Tekara said, dismissing the idea of an unnatural meeting in a different place. “I have had this same situation with a friend of mine though, her name is Keeta. For some reason I knew her before we even met, but we were unable to explain our knowing each other, so she went to Sovlain to seek answers.”

“Sovlain huh? Well if she can get answers there, so can we,” Kirana said in a cheerful mood.

“Let’s not jump on the wagon yet, Kirana; Sovlain is a bit far, and I don’t even know if Keeta is still there.”

“It never hurt to try,” Kirana winked at Tekara.

“I suppose so.” Tekara gave in to Kirana’s stubborn, yet not so forceful, push for their adventure. Then there was planning to do. “I’ll have two horses ready tomorrow morning, and we can leave then.”

“Understood, I’ll see you then!” Kirana went back to her house in a jolly mood, she had to keep herself from skipping to avoid ebarrasment.

Kirana entered her house upon reaching it, and in front of her lay the T hallway, which streached out only a few feet. To her right she went, and inside that small bedroom of hers she got out a satchel for her trip. She lazilly tossed it on her bed next to the window, and began rummaging through her chest that sat next to the bed. Her bookshelf was full to the brim, up against the wall to her left, and her room seemed very small with all her things scattered about. Kirana had never kept her place very tidy for the longest time, it hadn’t mattered to her much after she lost all of her family members.

Kirana found a dagger in her chest, underneath the other junk that had been stored in there for a long time, and tossed it on the bed to be thrown in the satchel once she had her belongings gathered. She rose from her spot, and then grabbed the lantern off of the table near the doorway. With that more gently tossed, but tossed nonetheless, onto the bed with the dagger, she went into the other room across from this one, to get the things needed from there.

This one was about the same size, although less walking space with the cabinets, counters and a table in there. It was a kitchen, cleaner than the bedroom, and a place for more books as well. There was a bookshelf all along the wall to her left, and the table had to be pushed as far as possible in the far left corner. The cbinets went all along the wall to her right, with the counter underneath. This is where Kirana started her search, digging through the cabinets to find suitable food for a journey.

Kirana dug through the cabinets, and laid out her provisions on the counter below.

Not much there. She thought, looking at the low supply of food.

She shrugged though, and carried it all back to her bedroom and stuffed it in her bag. She would also need her cloak, which after a time of stressful searching she realized she was wearing it already. Kirana’s unnatural dark blue hair got caught on the cloak as she was taking it off. For a moment she struggled with it, and finally it let loose her waist length beast.

She threw all of her needs that were left into the satchel, save the cloak, and closed it up to be taken the next morning when she would leave. Kirana had no need to pack clothes, as she saw no point in changing while travelling possibly for a long time. She did take off her leather gloves and boots though, and hopped onto the bed to sleep. Here red eyes reflected the setting sun through her window, but the image suddenlt faded as she fell asleep.

Not long after she was sleeping did she awake to a terrible cry. She jolted up, her eyes wide open at the shouts.

“The Rain! Go to your houses, it’s the Rain!”

The calls came from the guards at their stations. She froze with horror when they confirmed that the Rain were here. Quickly she jumped out of bed, pulled on her boots and gloves, and frantically searched for her dagger. Forgetting it’s whearabouts, she waved it off and ran to her window. There were dark shadows moving everywhere, but there were also figures out there whom she was able to tell were guards. Some guards had torches, whilst the others faught the Rain.

Kirana feard going out there, but she also feared staying in here. The Rain however, never came close to her house, and for that she breathed easier.

But just as soon as the Rain came, they left. It was as if they’d only come to see the town, and then leave. Perhaps they weren’t here for a killing, but just to observe the goings on of the town. Kirana shuddered at the thought that the Rain could possibly be spys for someone, but her thoughts were shattered when she heard a knock on the door.

She got up to open it, but hesitated when she reached the door. Kirana had no way of telling wheather the Rain had truly left, although the shouts from the guards had faded. She stood there unmoving, wating to see if it would pass.

Another knock came on the door, and Kirana took a step back for fear of the Rain entering her house. Suddenly the doorknob began to turn, and the door opened to a dark figure standing in the doorway. She gasped at the sight, but was even more frightened when the figure fell over into her house.

Suddenly Kirana recognized the man who’d fallen over; it was her brother Allan! She rushed to his side, and held him up. He seemed to be alive, but his eyes were closed as if he were asleep.

“Allan!”

His eyes were still closed, and her cry was to no avail. She began to stroke his short dark blue hair, a gene that never seemed to leave the family line, and hope for his awakening. He was dressed in the same garb as Kirana, as they both tended to wear the same thing all the time, even when far apart. Kirana held her hope, seeing if he would awaken or not, when his eyes slowly opened like a man coming out of a daze.

“Where am I?” He asked, propping up on his elbows and rubbing his head.

“Your home Allan! You’re here at Calla!” Kirana said with joy, hugging him.

He hugged her back, awkwardly from the angle he was at, then stood up slowly along with Kirana.

“How did I get here?”

Kirana had no way of answering that, as she didn’t know either. So she gave a shrug, and Allan was left wondering.

“I really shouldn’t be here though, I need to get back to the Wind Temple.” Allan rubbed his eyes with one hand, and his mucles seemed to tense up from stress. Then he looked to regard his sister. “Kirana, I’m sorry for this happening, but now I have to go. The Wind Sage’s life is in danger, and I need to help her.”

“I understand, it’s perfectly alright,” Kirana said, holding back tears. The last time she had said that, was seven years ago when he first left. That was the day…

“I’m really sorry,” He said, hugging her then. “But I need to go. It’s my job to protect Ashie, I can’t let her down.”

“No, go on, the Rain can’t take anyone else anyway…”

“What do you mean?” Allan asked, breaking the hug and looking her in the eye. His eyes too, were red like rubies.

“It’s the day you left Allan,” Kirana said, breaking down and crying. “The Rain, th-they took them, mom and dad. Their dead!”

Allan didn’t know what to say, but he bent down and hugged Kirana to calm her. His parents died the day he left? For some reason though, he was unable to cry. Kirana gladly accepted his hug to comfort her, and waited a little while more to tell the rest of her story.

“A few hours after you left, the guards signaled the Rain coming. Dad went out to fight, and hours passed,” Kirana explained, while still embracing Allan. “We had no way of knowing if the Rain were gone yet, we alwayse had to wait until morning. But mom, she went outside, telling me she would be back. She never came back Allan, the Rain killed her too! I was left there until morning, when they came and got me, we had their funeral there. I’ve been living alone ever since Allan, for seven years!” She began to cry again, and all Allan could do was pet her hair.

“I should’ve been here,” He said in a low voice.

“No, you had to protect the Wind Sage, it was your duty,” Kirana said, looking up now and stiffling her tears.

“I know, I just wish they’d chosen somebody else.”

“You were chosen for a reason, Allan, and that makes you special,” Kirana smiled at her brother, knowing it would cheer him up.

Allan stood up then, and Kirana followed suite. She knew this was now where he would leave again, probably never to be seen. He had to protect the Wind Sage, and that was probably one of the biggest jobs in hitory.

“I have to go though, Kirana, I’m sorry.”

“I’m fine Allan, the Wind Sage needs you more.” Kirana managed a smile.

And with that, Allan headed out the door. Kirana stood at the door, watching him leave, hesitant to run and give him one last hug. She held herself back though, and saw his figure fade with the growing mist. Kirana stood there for a moment, hoping to see Allan once more, but once she realized that fooling herself woud do her no good, she went back in.

It was starting to rain outside now, and the sun, although hardly noticable with the thick forest they lived in, was coming up. The people of this town had figured out ways to tell where the sun was, and so everyone born there were brought up with that knowledge. Kirana decided she’d gather her things then, and check to see if Tekara was ready to go yet. She grabbed her satchel, and put on her cloak, tieing her hair back so it wouldn’t be in the way. She headed out the door, remembering how that was the place she’d seen Allan in a long time; but she ignored the thoughts and walked through the rain to Tekara’s house.

There seemed to be no horses about, but Kirana ignored that and knocked. Momentslater there was no answer.

Did she leave already?

Kirana wouldn’t believe that Tekara would have left, and she knocked again. No answer once more, and so Kirana was lead to believe the previous thought. She took off from the small town, through the arch that she saw her brother fade into, and out intothe open forest. She heard calls of good luck to her from the guards, and she smiled.

It was a dense forest, and you could hardly see ahead of you. Kirana followed the path that was created long ago, to keep from getting lost. The path lead to the docks by the ocean, which was where she would probably meet Tekara. About an hour passed and Kirana finally reached the open plains, surprisingly without a single encounter from a nasty creature. The Rain must have scared them off.

It was raining harder out here, without the cover from the trees, and Kirana had to pull up her hood to see properly. The mist too, was thicker here, and she had to walk at a slower pace to keep from stumbling. After about thirty minutes of walking in the mist and rain, she heard a noise behind her that sounded similar to horses. When she turned she was unable to see anything but two large figures heading her way, at a quick speed too. Knowing that the riders would not see her in this mist either, she hurried off the pathway to stay clear of being trampled. When the horses got closer, they stopped.

“Walking eh?” She heard a familiar voice.

Kirana turned to see Tekara, dripping wet from the rain, on a horse and holding the reins of another horse.

“Well I checked your house but you didn’t answer,” Kirana said, smiling at Tekara for bringing the horses.

“Well hop on, walking takes too long.”

Kirana gladly got on the horse that was offered to her, and they both began at a trot. Going too fast in this rain and mist might end badly, the horses didn’t have infravision, but they needed to go at a moderately good pace to get there in a timely fashion. Kirana kept silent while they trod along the muddy road, and Tekara seemed to keep herself occupied with steering her horse in the right direction.

Soon the mist lifted, and all that was left was the light rain that continued to fall. They were able to speed their horses up a little, but not too much lest they slip in the mud. The sun was nowhere to be seen still, but Kirana could tell it was about midday. As soon as it hit about two or three in the afternnon they stopped, and let their horses graze while they ate their own meals they broght with them.

“Did you see them last night?” Tekara asked, breaking the long silence.

“The Rain?” Kirana asked, receiving a nod. “Yes.” They both fell into silence then, not too eager to recall the accounts of last night.

It made Kirana even more sad to think about Allan though, rather than the Rain’s appearance. She finished her slice of bread and cheese, and put her satchel back into the horse securely. The rain had come to a slow drizzle now, but the clouds did not pass.

They kept silent for the rest of the day, neither mentioning their experiences with the Rain the previous night. When the sun fell and the moon rose, they dimounted and tied their horses to a nearby tree. Kirana hadn’t brought a mat to sleep on, but luckily Tekara had thought ahead and her horse had one attached to the saddle. She detached it, and set it up in the dryest spot that she could find.

“I’ll collect firewood, you can start to make some sort of meal,” Tekara said, heading off into the plains in search of dry wood.

Kirana took to getting their food supplies out and found a pan in Tekara’s satchel. She got that out, along with two fish that Tekara had packed, and waited for Tekara to come back with the wood. After some time of hard searching, Tekara arrived with a good load of firewood, and they made their fire. Kirana cooked the fish for them, and they both ate pleasantly.

“Kirana, have you ever lost anyone by the Rain?” Tekara asked, starting on her fish.

“Yes,” Kirana said, putting her half eaten fish on her lap.

“I’m sorry, I just… Wanted to know if I was travelling with someone who shared the same feelings as I do, towards the Rain.”

Kirana left her fish uneaten, and sat there for a time.

“I lost my mother to them, when I was five,” Tekara started. “My mother was a soldier of the town, fighting due to the absence of men who lived there. She never came back after the Rain left, and I shut myself in my house.” Tekara poked the fire to keep it going, and continued her story without looking up. “I stayed in there for what seemed like weeks, living off of the food that had been stored in there. One day I heard a knock on the door, I opened and to my horror I saw one of them, it was another raid. I ran to my room, calling for my mother, and the Rain left as if I wasn’t important anymore.” Kirana shuddered at Tekara’s mention of meeting one of the Rain, but stayed silent to hear the rest.

“I once more stayed in there for the longest time, ignoring knocks and shout at my door. One of the soldiers, he was a good friend of my mother’s, I let in after I had been starving myself for a while. He said he was going to adopt me,” Tekara had trouble holding back tears, and Kirana felt sorry for being sort of rude when she asked about the Rain. “I never saw him again though, because once he left to get his things to live there, I shut myself out again. I’ve snuck out to get food for my whole life now, not allowing anyone to know I lived there. That’s probably why you never saw me in town I guess.” Tekara looked up at Kirana, and gave a weak smile.

“My situation was similar,” Kirana said, feeling guilty about not sharing her story when Tekara had done so. “Right after my brother left to be a Keeper, my father died fighting the Rain, and my mother died going out to warn of another raid. I lived on my own without being bothered, hoping that my brother would come back some day.” Kirana let loose her tears now, and she heard Tekara come over to sit next to her. She wiped away the water and looked at Tekara. “I never thought I’d see him again Tekara, but he came back, last night. The Rain took him for some reason, and brought him here. But he left, to go help the Wind Sage.”

“It seems the Rain has left their mark on everyone. But don’t ever loose hope that you and your brother can see each other again, the Sages aren’t unkind to good souls.”

Tekara patted Kirana’s back, and Kirana decided she didn’t want the fish anymore. She tossed it in the fire, and they watched the body burn up. Kirana let Tekara know she was fine, and Tekara went back to her mat to cover up. Kirana did the same, lying down and pulling a blanket over herself. They both gave each other a smile, and fell asleep.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate your feedback and support. ^^

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Well, Rainy, I am glad you have finally posted the story. I read through all that and let me tell ya that I am content with how this is going. There were some typos and some misplaced commas, but nothing that really ruined the story for me. I'd point those out but you know I've never been fond of doing that. lol So just keep it up and keep updating whenever you can. ;) And even though I read this long ago back when you posted the first version, I don't remember much, though I did remember the Rain and what they did. Keep it up, you're doing great. ~Atsie

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Thanks so much for reading. ^^ By the way, Word isn't working with spell check or grammar check, so I know there will be typos that I miss in there; please excuse them. :bleh:

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Okay, a little update on this story for all who wanted/want to read it. I'll have (or I already have, for about a month DX) a pause in writting it. I'm working on trying to get it on the main computer so I can write there, instead of on my laptop, but my laptop is kinda slow, so I've been procrastinating it. X3 Please sit tight, it'll launch again soon hopefully!

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Okay, a little update on this story for all who wanted/want to read it. I'll have (or I already have, for about a month DX) a pause in writting it. I'm working on trying to get it on the main computer so I can write there, instead of on my laptop, but my laptop is kinda slow, so I've been procrastinating it. X3 Please sit tight, it'll launch again soon hopefully!

Copy that. Thanks for letting us know, Rainy. (And I thought you had posted chapter 2 when I clicked on the link. I wasn't disappointed, though, when I found out that it was just a heads up.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Hey! For anyone who cares, chapter two is up!

Chapter two: New Path

The moment Kirana and Tekara came to the dock of Calla, they knew it would be hard to find a decent boat. Not because the rush to get boats, but because the lack of existing boats in the harbor. They would first go to the provisioner’s and stock up for their journey, though.

“It’s not going to be easy to find a boat here,” Kirana said after they were stocked up. “Let alone someone who would take us to Sovlain; Their practically flushed out of sailors.”

“While the former may be true, I think I know of a way we won’t need any sailors,” Tekara replied, seeming to hide something with a joyful smile.

“What, row ourselves? Sure.”

“You worry about getting a boat, and I’ll see that we have a way to get there, okay?”

“You’ve got yourself a deal I guess,” Kirana said, not too enthusiastic about the prospect.

Kirana and Tekara parted ways, as Kirana headed out to the first ship captain she saw. She had in mind going down the row until someone would take them, but at a decent price. The first captain she came across was a tall man, wearing pants that were too short for him, and a shirt that had a few small holes in it. His shoes looked a bit small, but his feet apparently fit in them. The captain had a beard that puffed out just a little, and his hair was curly and unclean. Kirana was a bit hesitant to approach him, but they needed passage to Sovlain.

“Excuse me Captain, do you have room for two girls on board?” Kathrine asked, trying to sound polite.

“Girls? I don’t take no girls on my ship! Get outta’ here!” The Captain waved her away, and she hurried off to the next captain who might take them.
She was denied to come aboard by every captain she talked to. Most had just waved their hands in dismissal, others had kindly declined. She was stuck now with no boat; Kirana would have to break the news to Tekara. Just as she lost hope she saw the most beautiful thing she could have seen then. A little rowboat, which seemed to have been abandoned by whoever owned it.

Kirana hurried up and ran to the boat, overjoyed at her miraculous savior. When she got a closer look, she could see that boat was not in bad shape, so much as messy shape. There were barnacles stuck to the bottom of the boat, and lots of sand had built up inside. Kirana was thankful though, and began dumping out the sand at once.

She scooped out the sand with her hands; the boat was too heavy for her to tip over. Although she didn’t see anything wrong with the barnacles being there, so after a few trials of scraping with her finger nails, she gave up. Now to test it in the water, to check for holes. Kirana shoved the boat as hard as she could, and got it in the water soon enough.

When the boat was floating for a few minutes in the water without water leaking in, or it sinking, she deemed the boat worthy and pulled it back to shore.

“It’ll need a name, for taking us across,” Kirana said out loud, her hand in a thinking position. She thought hard on the name, and then it came to her. “Messenger.”

Since Kirana didn’t have paint to put the name on, she pulled out her dagger and chipped it in the side. When she was done, she looked proudly upon her work.

Messenger eh?”

Kirana turned around to see Tekara walking towards her, smiling.

“Yeah, I thought it was a fitting name for this boat,” Kirana smiled back.

“No, there’s nothing wrong with it; I like it.” Tekara came over and examined the boat a little. “Looks like she’s ready to go then. Well, we’d better cast off before the sun hits the horizon.”

“Without some oars or something?” Kirana was puzzled.

“We’ve got our way of going, trust me. Come on.”

Tekara waved Kirana in the boat, and she followed uncertain as to how they were going to do this. Kirana shoved the boat into sea, and hoped in when it was out far enough. Her pants were soaked, but that didn’t really matter. She waited patiently for Tekara to tell her the brilliant plan for how to get to Sovlain.

“So, how are we going to move then?” Kirana asked.

“You’ll see.”

Tekara has a mischievous smile on her face, and that made Kirana a little excited for what she had in store for their way of motion. Nothing happened for about a minute, and Kirana was beginning to think that she should get out and look for oars. Just when she was going to stand up, the boat started moving. Slowly at first, but with every passing second it got faster.

“Wait, what’s moving us?” Kirana asked, scared from the magic, but a little delighted.

Tekara laughed out loud, unable to contain her joy. “I have a friend named Haru, he’s a Zora. He’s pushing us.”

“A what?” Kirana had never thought that the Zora were still alive, or if they even existed in the first place. She was amazed, and dazzled at the thought.

Tekara only smiled at her, and they both waited in the boat for their arrival at Sovlain.

Days passed, and Haru left every night to get his rest while they rowed for a while. Haru had come back after the first day with some oars so they could keep moving during the night. Kirana and Tekara each took turns rowing while the other got their rest, and then Haru would come and push or pull for the day.

Finally, after three weeks of non-stop sailing, the two girls saw Sovlain not too far from where they were at.

“There it is!” Kirana shouted.

“Ah, we can finally take a little break.”

They reached the shore near Sovlain’s docks soon enough, and pulled their boat into a hiding place.

“We may need to get back to Calla,” Tekara said.

When they finished hiding Messenger, Haru was waiting for them in the water.

“So, what do you owe me for this feat?” Haru asked, panting.

Haru, being a Zora, had blue scaly skin, with a few darker blue shades of scales here and there. His eyes were black, and his head was oddly shaped. His head was normal human shaped on the face, but the back of his head looked like he was wearing a long greenish hat. Although it was part of his head, and the green scales made it look not a part of his body. His hands and feet were webbed, and he wore no shirt.

“Well, I could get you another sea shell?” Tekara said.

“Hmm, I was thinking more like a new strummer.”

“I’ll try Haru, but dead fish don’t just wash ashore every day!” Tekara joked.

“I’ll be waiting!”

Haru dove back into the water, and left Kirana and Tekara there. Kirana turned to Tekara with a puzzled look. “A strummer?”

“It’s like a guitar, but it’s made of fish bones; which makes the Zora able to play them.”

“Oh.”

Kirana just left it at that, and didn’t want to delve further into the mysteries of the Zora. While Tekara searched the beach for her fish, Kirana decided she’d head into town to restock their provisions. She didn’t know Sovlain well, and didn’t know where to go for restocking. The market was easy enough to find though, with the yammering people and hurrying crowds.

Kirana pushed her way through the bustling people to the food vendor.

“Hello missy, what can I do for ya?” The vendor asked.

“I’m just restocking on my food, bread and cheese will be fine.”

“Alrighty then, here ya are,” The vendor handed her a block of cheese and a sack with bread slices. “That’ll be thirty silver.”

Kirana dug into her pocket for some silver, and pulled out thirty. When she handed it to the vendor, he smiled and she left the crowded market. She put her hand in her pocket to feel how much money she had left, and it seemed that her luck was running out, with only a few coins. Kirana sighed, and headed back to the shore where Tekara was still searching for a dead fish.

“I restocked our food,” Kirana said upon her arrival.

“Good, and I found a dead fish!” Tekara exclaimed, coming out from behind a large rock.

Tekara took it to the sea, where Haru waited, and handed it to him. He took it with a smile, and dove back into the water.

“We’re all done here now. Let’s go find Keeta.”

Kirana was unsure as to how they’d find the girl, but she trusted Tekara to lead her the right way. Tekara lead Kirana through the streets of Sovlain to the Fire Heart inn. It was not as busy as Kirana would have thought for Sovlain, but it was busy enough that all the seats were taken by drinkers and the like. At first Kirana was questionable as to why they began their search in the inn, but when she saw a few mysterious figures in corners, she knew that Keeta was most likely trying to lay low.

Tekara walked up to the innkeeper and inquired about a girl coming in with very short red hair.

“Yes, she came in and went somewhere over there I think,” The innkeeper pointed to the area underneath the staircase that lead to the rooms upstairs.

“Thank you,” Tekara said. She turned to Kirana, “Let’s go find her then.”

Kirana just followed Tekara to the table in the corner under the staircase. A lone figure sat there, with a hood covering their face. Tekara simply sat down at the table, and Kirana did the same. The figure didn’t speak, and Kirana was feeling antsy to find Keeta.

“Excuse me, but do you mind?” The figure said in a low and rough voice. “I’d rather be alone right now.”

“Oh, uh, I guess you’re not Keeta then?” Tekara asked sheepishly.

“Do you know Keeta?” The figure pulled off his hood to reveal a man with short black hair and brown eyes that seemed to see into someone’s soul. Tekara got an eerie feeling from his gaze, and his face was as rough as his voice.

“Y-Yes I do,” Tekara said, not quite regaining herself from fright. “Do you know her?”

“Yes, I know Keeta, she is a good friend of mine.”

“Well that’s good, because any friend of Keeta’s is a friend of mine!” Tekara said, trying to ease off the nervousness. “Do you know where she is then?”

“Yes. Why do you want to see her?”

“Well we-” Kirana began.

“We’re just friends stopping by to say hi. You know, long time no see.” Tekara said, giving Kirana a warning glance.

“I see,” The man said. “My name is Justin Riley, and I would like to ask a favor of you before I direct you to Keeta.”

“Fire away,” Kirana said cheerily.

“I would like you to come with me to the temple of Death; there is something I need from there.”

“Well, we don’t really know our way there, and we might not be of much use, but I guess well go,” Kirana said.

“It’s not that I can’t get there on my own; I can’t get the item on my own. There is something that prevents me in particular from getting what I need, so I would like someone’s assistance.”

“Sure, we’ll do it!”

“So long as you take us to Keeta afterwards,” Tekara added.

“I will keep my promise.” Justin Riley gave them a nod. “Meet me outside the East entrance when you’re ready.”

Justin Riley got up from the table and headed out of the inn. When Tekata and Kirana were left alone in their corner, they started discussing the matter.

“Let’s be careful, it could be a trick,” Tekara said. “Be on your guard Kirana.”

“Oh come on, I’ll be fine.”

Tekara and Kirana left the inn then, and headed to the beach where their boat and supplies lay in wait for them. Tekara took up her bag of supplies, while Kirana got her own things, and they headed to the East entrance of Sovlain.

Justin Riley was on a horse waiting for them at the entrance, and two horsed already saddled waited for them to mount.

“We must leave as soon as possible, and waste no time in getting there,” Justin said with urgency. “Mount, and we’ll be off.”

Kirana strapped her things on the horse, and Tekara followed suit. They both mounted the horses that Justin had brought for them, and the three headed out along the road to the East, where Kirana and Tekara’s journey would take a turn.

Thanks for reading!

Clank

Hmm
It looks great,I would gave written some stuff differently, but it is still quite amazing.

Keep up the superb work,I look forward to more.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
That was a good update, Rainy, regardless of the mistakes I found along the way. Minor mistakes such as typos, forgotten apostrophes, etc. But the story is going great and that is all that matters to me. I can't wait to see what happens in the Temple of Death. Keep it up. :yes:

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Thanks for reading, although this is not my best. XP Anyway, I've decided I'm just going to take it up from my previous story. I can only see this as insulting myself, so I'll say this anyway because I know I won’t mind. :bleh: My story is just sucking right now, it stinks and I know why. I can't get in the groove for this, re-writing something like this is just destroying my writing thing (hrmm, what is it? Hard to explain). So, The previous story will be posted in the thread (in a spoiler, it's quite long :p) and I'll continue from there. Ha, yes the previous story sucks as much as the re-written version here, but I promise that the future chapters that I left off at will be better. It's just easier for me to work fresh, and not from scratch re-write. Although this may sound a little weak on my part, because most all writers write from scratch their stuff while polishing it. But I can blame it on my beginner self, and I'm not an experienced writer like others. So sorry to disappoint anybody, but you'll have to bear with me. And if you don't feel like reading the horrible chapters of long ago, please don't, I'd hate to read them myself. I'll put in a little spoiler for those who don't want to suffer, and so you'll be up to date on the happenings.

Until the stuff is up, cheerio!

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Naw, your stories don't suck, Rainy. I actually enjoying reading them. :) And I don't really mind reading the chapters from the old story, at least we'll have something to read. :P Good luck with your other projects.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Ha ha, just kidding, I am re-writting it all. :bleh:

Chapter three: Temple of Death

Tekara, Kirana and Justin had been riding until dusk, and now they decided it’d be best to stop. Justin found a good place for sleeping, where they might not be disturbed, and tied up the horses there. Tekara gathered firewood and started the fire to warm them, while Kirana just laid out her mat for sleeping.

When Tekara got the fire started, Kirana began to cook some fish Justin had brought.

“So,” Kirana started, unnerved by the silence. “What is it you want from the Death temple?”

“Something that will help the Death sage.” Justin replied.

“Oh.”

Kirana had nothing to say to that, she didn’t like to pry into other people’s business. But she was very curious as to what it is Justin wanted from the Death temple. Kirana decided it then, she might as well ask him otherwise she’d be left unknowing probably forever, because she may not even know what it was that Justin would have.

“Not to intrude, but I’m curious. What exactly is it you want? And if I may be bolder, why do you want it?”

Kirana had thought she went too far, as Justin was silent for a while. Then he spoke, without a change in his rough voice. “I need to get the Death orb. The sage of Death has fallen, and the only way to save her now is to get the Death orb and bring it to her.”

Kirana decided she should leave her curiosity alone for now, Justin had told her enough and she shouldn’t make him tell his life story. Kirana was too involved in her thoughts then, that she didn’t realize the fish were burning until Tekara cried out.

“Kirana!”

She snapped back to reality, and looked at the minorly over cooked fish. Panicking she took it away from the fire, and laid it on the pad that had been put there for the purpose of putting the pan on it. She then took her bowl, and shyly took her fish.

“Um, sorry,” She said a little smile coming on her face.

“They aren’t ruined, but they’ll taste a little crispy,” Tekara said, smiling to ease Kirana’s doubt.

Justin said nothing, and just ate his fish silently. When they had all finished their crispy fish, which turned out to be pretty good, they lay down and covered up. Justin suggested they keep the fire going, not only to warm them through the night, but also to ward off creatures that dislike fire.

Kirana shifted around in the night, unable to sleep, and she wondered if the others we’re able to sleep as well. Then she thought something ridiculous and possibly stupid for right now. She wanted to awaken Justin and actually ask him his life story. That’s who Kirana was, a curious girl, who wanted to know who she was with, know their pains and joys so she could make the trip better for them.

Kirana sat up on her mat, and looked over to the others. The firelight shown them both with their eyes closed, but Kirana figured at least Tekara would be awake. Then she called out softly, so that she might not disturb them if they were wake, but loud enough so they wouldn’t think it was the wind.

“Tekara, Justin, are you awake?”

Takara stirred, but Justin was silent. Kirana called out again, a little louder this time, but not too loud.

“Justin and Tekara, can you sleep at all?”

“What?” Tekara said, opening her eyes and looking at Kirana.

“I just couldn’t sleep, and wanted to talk for a little while,” Kirana said as a cover up, ashamed at herself for awakening Tekara.

“Well, talk away.”

“Justin, are you up?”

Justin gave a low “m-hmm” which let Kirana know he was conscious enough to hear her.

“I just wanted to know, since Tekara and I have a similar past, what’s yours?”

Justin was silent, along with Tekara. Tekara too wanted to know about Justin, so she kept her mouth shut. Kirana feared now that she had offended Justin, and she got worried. The Justin started to speak, but quietly so Kirana and Tekara had to strain to hear.

“I used to live in Horem, where I was a guard. It was a fairly safe place for a while, until the Rain showed up. Rain had never bothered to come there, so no one expected them that night. I was on watch, and I saw shadows moving amongst the trees outside town. I alerted the town guard, and civilians were moved into their shelters. We waited, for the longest time for the shadows to arrive, but they didn’t come. Although we were honorable guards, and waited almost all night for their arrival.”

Kirana was disheartened at the thought of the Rain, and figured she knew what was going to happen next. She waited for Justin to continue the story though, and hoped for a better ending.

“The Rain came at us close to dawn, bearing down the gates. They rushed in, and we met them with our swords. Our swords were able to puncture their skin, or whatever they were, thankfully and we were relieved at that. Our men fought bravely, and when dawn came the Rain were gone.” Justin’s voice never changed tones as he spoke, yet Kirana knew it pained him to remember. “We rejoiced, for we had conquered the Rain for our first time fighting them. But what we didn’t know is that was a distraction for us. We had hear screams while the battle went on in the early darkened morning, but thought that our men were just dying. When we continued to hear cries of agony after the Rain had gone, our eyes widened and we ran deeper into the town. The Rain were-” Justin stopped in his tracks, and Kirana feared that she had made a mistake in asking him about his past. But he continued, with the same level of toughness in him.

“The Rain were slaughtering all the town’s people we had sworn to protect. Everyone we found was just a body without a soul, bloodied and torn. We ran to the safe house then, knowing that we should protect that masses that gathered there. Just as we arrived, the Rain were entering for their killings. We hurried in; tearing passed the Rain that were still outside. Most of the guards died here, with Rain coming from all sides in an ambush.

“I was one of the five that were left in the battle inside the sanctuary. My family and other innocents were behind us as we fought off the Rain. The men fought bravely, but fell one by one at my side. The Rain were getting around our barrier now, and killing them behind us while we were occupied. I decided then that I needed to get my family out of there as soon as possible. I took my mother and sister’s arms, and bulled passed the Rain guarding the doorway out. We ran, as fast as we could, myself not knowing if the Rain followed.

“Then we made it out of the town, and my mother thought we were safe; but I knew better. I took us into the forest, where we might be hidden from the Rain. There we rested, and I stood guard for them.” Kirana was hopeful that his family might have a happy ending, but her expression changed when Justin began again. “The Rain came upon us, and killed my sister and mother before me. There were too many- I was unable to stop them…”

Justin was silent, and Kirana swore she heard a change of tone in Justin’s voice at the end, as though he were shedding tears. Kirana herself shed tears, at the realization that Justin had lost everyone he knew. She felt his pain, although he must have felt worse because he lost far more than she. Then Kirana laid down, and closed her eyes.

She felt bad about asking him, but she also felt good that she knew she could feel his pain, instead of Justin being alone in loss. She fell asleep then, the fire dimming as the time had passed.

When day came, Kirana and Tekara mounted, and Justin began to ride along the road again. They followed him in silence, both fearing they might upset him once more after the previous night. It was a long way that they traveled, and all Kirana could think was that she had made Justin remember his horrible past.

Justin stopped then, and Kirana’s horse almost bumped into his as she was looking down. Justin stared ahead, unmoving and silent. Kirana was puzzled more than afraid, and wondered why they had stopped.

“The temple is just within that forest, we’re close,” Justin said, pointing to the forest off the road.

“Oh, well let’s go then!” Kirana said, kicking her horse into action.

They trotted toward the forest, all of them silent once more. Kirana thought it best to keep silent until they were afoot, it would be easier not to have to raise your voice for others to hear. Justin was right too, the temple was practically right within the forest. It was a big clearing, like a meadow but brighter with the sun shining directly in the clearing from the large opening. The temple looked almost like a Myan temple; it was rectangular and like a pyramid going up. The temple wasn’t concealed very well though, although Kirana didn’t think it needed to be.

There were vines and dirt covering the temple from age, and it’s yellowish color had turned to a dirty sand. The entrance was clearly opened too, and that’s what puzzled Kirana. Who left the temple door to the Death orb wide open?

“It must be some kind of trap the temple builders set,” Tekara said.

Kirana turned to her, and realized she was talking about the open door. Justin had dismounted, and so Kirana and Tekara did the same. They took their horse’s reigns, and lead them to the temple entrance. All the while Kirana was thinking of a way to get passed the trap, if it was a trap.

When they came to the entrance, Justin halted and tied up his horse, Kirana and Tekara did the same. Justin looked at the entrance for a while, thinking of how to get passed.

“Well, I guess we should just walk in,” he said finally.

“What if it’ll shoot arrows at us?” Tekara asked a little panicky.

“Then I guess we won’t be getting that orb,” Justin looked back at Tekara and gave her a small smile, which surprised her because he’d never smiled before as far as she knew.

Kirana was the first to go in, plucking up the courage and entering to show them she could get passed. As soon as she stepped on the stone floor within, she shut her eyes and prepared for the worst. When nothing happened, she opened her eyes and turned to the others.

“Ha, it’s safe,” She said smiling.

“It’s dark too, don’t you have a light?” Tekara asked Justin.

“No, we’ll have to use our hands like a blind man. Don’t worry though, I know that there’s light within the center of the temple.”

“Nice,” Kirana said, continuing forward.

Kirana didn’t much like the fact of walking blindly, but she had no choice now. If she’d thought about them going to an old temple, she might have brought a light, but she didn’t know exactly where they would be going. She knew about the temples, her brother was the keeper of the wind sage. And although Allan had never told her much about the wind sage, he’s written to her about how there are more sages and keepers.

Kirana could hear Tekara and Justin following closely behind her, as she shuffled her feet to feel trap doors, and her hands moved along the wall to notice any turns. It seemed like they’d been walking for hours when Kirana’s hands no longer felt the wall, she used her left hand to feel the other side, but there was no wall there either.

“Well fellas, that’s the end of the wall,” She said.

Kirana now inched forward, but she wasn’t even a foot in the room when some torches lit up on the walls and she was able to see a little. The room was still pretty dark, in the corners and further back, but she could see what they were looking for, up some steps on a pedestal in the center of the room. Only the walkway to the steps were shown in the light, and everything else encased in darkness.

This room too had been effected by age and dirt, and parts of the floor and steps were chipped away. Kirana moved aside to let the others in, and decided to wait back here while Justin could get his orb.

“Okay, you can go ahead,” Kirana said, turning to Justin.

But Justin was gone, only Tekara stood there gazing at the pedestal. When Tekara realized that Justin had gone as well, obviously from the fact that Justin hadn’t moved forward, she looked around too.

“I could swear he was right behind me,” Tekara said.

“Do you think he fell in a trap?” Kirana asked a little worried.

“I guess, but you didn’t feel anything right?”

“Right,” Kirana said, confused. “Well, I guess one of us can go get it, and we’ll wait outside for Justin. If he doesn’t arrive within a good amount of time, we’ll come back.”

Tekara nodded at her, and Kirana started toward the steps. It seemed like a long way to get there, but she finally touched on the first step. She looked back at Tekara and gave a nervous nod, then started going up. But before she could take another step, something came leaping at her. She was knocked onto the floor and had hit her head hard in the stone.

“Kirana!” She heard Tekara shout, although her vision was going from her.

Suddenly the figure on top of her was removed, and she could hear fighting very near to her. Kirana strained to see, but her vision was only coming back very slowly. After what seemed like forever, Kirana was able to see what looked like Tekara, fighting a man wearing a black cloak. Was that Justin?

Kirana was now able get up, ignoring the sharp pain she felt in her head, and she saw that it really was Justin fighting Tekara. Kirana could not believe her eyes! She got up slowly, to avoid much of the pain, and watched them battling with their fists. Tekara was just dodging Justin’s blows, and getting in a hit or two occasionally.

Now Kirana saw her chance, she had to run for it, up the stairs and to the orb. Justin was going mad for a reason Kirana didn’t know, but she knew that she should get the orb. Justin had told her it would awaken the sage od Death, so she needed to help the sage somehow. Kirana went now, hoping Justin wouldn’t notice her until she at least had the orb.

Kirana bolted up the stairs, biting her tongue at the pain that pounded at her head. She lost track of everything, and before she knew it she was holding the orb and looking down at the two. Tekara was too occupied in defending herself to notice Kirana, and Justin had gone mad and hadn’t noticed her.

Now Kirana hurried down the steps. She would grab Tekara and they could run out of the temple with the orb. Suddenly Justin saw Kirana, and charged at her.

“Kirana, here!” Tekara shouted with her hands in the air.

Just before Justin could get to her, Kirana threw the orb at Tekaara, hoping it wouldn’t break and Tekara could catch it. Then Justin ran back to Tekara and Kirana hurried for the doorway. She had made it there just a few seconds before Justin made it to Tekara and Tekara tossed the orb to Kirana.

Then Kirana turned and ran for it, out of the temple and hopefully to safety. There was no time to check for traps and holes, she thought there were none now since they had searched when they entered. Kirana didn’t know it Tekara was following her or not, but she could hear someone running behind her.

And finally hope arrived, and Kirana could see the sunlight. She was blinded only for a moment by the brightness, but she knew where the horses were and headed there. She mounted her horse, and looked back to see if Tekara had made it. Kirana was glad to see that Tekara was close and hurrying to get to her horse, but Justin had just ran out of the temple when Tekara mounted up.

Then Kirana and Tekara kicked their horses into a gallop, and didn’t dare look back to see if Justin was following. They made it out of the forest, and followed the road for as long as their horses would go. Hours passed, and neither of them were brave enough to see if Justin was close behind them. Finally the sun fell, and they had to stop for their horses, and to rest themselves.

Kirana quickly looked around though, to see if Justin was anywhere in sight in the twilight. Justin had fallen far behind apparently, and so Kirana relaxed and tied up her horse. Tekara did the same, and they both set up their mats for sleeping.

“You don’t think Justin will come at us at night do you?” Tekara asked.

“Well, if he does one of us will know. We should take watches,” Kirana said, her tone completely changed from innocent to serious. “I’ll take the first one.”

“I’ll make a meal then,” Tekara said, starting a fire.

There was dry wood nearby, and so Tekara got out her flint and steel to start the flame. When their fire was going, she brought out two fish from her satchel and began to cook them on a pan. Kirana’s head didn’t seem to hurt anymore, and she kept the orb close to her. She stayed alert for Justin, but saw no movement anywhere. When the fish were done, she ate her fill and Tekara went to sleep.

Those horses won’t hold out long, now that we’ve driven them non-stop. If Justin comes tonight, we may not stand a chance…

Kirana stood awake for a long while, but her eyelids began to drop. She thought of awakening Tekara to take a watch, but her arms seemed stiff, and her legs wouldn’t budge. Then she saw a dark figure approaching them, but she was unable to tell who it was with her eyesight fading. The figure came closer, but Kirana was unable to see who it was.

The orb fell out of her arms, and she faded away, leaving Tekara and herself at the hands of whoever this was.

Phew! That was a long one! Ha, only because it's double spaced. Anyway, hope you enjoyed it, and I hope it was better than the last one. You'll be seeing more soon! ;)

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I really enjoyed it, Rainy, what with Justin going nuts in the temple. :P I will be awaiting the next chapter. :cool: ~Atsuma

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom