• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Return Of The Hookshot?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Whether I think of Breath of the Wild 2 these days, I keep returning to Aonumas cryptic quote about 'it'll be the same world but with new gameplay elements.'

Could that 'new gameplay' be ... THE HOOKSHOT?

Perhaps. They seem to be on to many concept art scrapped ideas recently, there was actually a floating castle already in their concept art. (The Master Cycle Zero was also one of those) They talked a bit about a Hookshot previously.

Hookshot. In. Botw2. Yes? No? How do you think it'd affect movement?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Maybe? If you want to just climb old fashioned BotW style, you can always go to the first BotW. I could see this new game having older elements of Zelda with a more modern touch. Although, the problem with the hookshot has always been that in the overworld, a hookshot target is a dead giveaway that there might be something interesting. Not that there was anything of much interest you could find in BotW anyway, you find a weapon, cool! You'll break it anyway if you use it.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Honestly i'm shocked that we didn't get a hookshot esque item in BOTW, it would've worked really well in that game allowing you to climb trees wtih ease and rob them eggs, hell i could think of a few puzzles that'd require hookshots and would've worked well with the Shrine themes ^^.

Botw was astonishingly short of interesting equipments but then in a game where items tend to break easily would the Hookshot have worked well? probably not though now the image of link falling a few hundred feet to his death cuz the hookshot broke is now seared into my brain.

I feel like the Hookshot would make more sense as a dungeon item of some sort. (Assuming that we're going to have traditional dungeons in BotW 2) They could possibly add a new variant, similar to that of the Clawshot, Switch Hook, and Gripshot.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I feel like the Hookshot would make more sense as a dungeon item of some sort. (Assuming that we're going to have traditional dungeons in BotW 2) They could possibly add a new variant, similar to that of the Clawshot, Switch Hook, and Gripshot.
They could've even just made a grappling hook for BOTW and it would've worked with the game quite nicely, would also have allowed access to some more of those irritating to climb areas (looking at you Lurelin Korok)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The hookshot should indeed return particularly the double hookshot.

BoTW 1 made you think about how to tackle certain climbs because of the stamina wheel to do that again would just be doing the same old thing. Link should have a lot more stamina starting BoTW2 and be fully powered up as a hero making big climbs something that shouldn't be much of a challenge. Adding in the hookshots would be a good way to climb fast and especially good in more confined caverns and temples.

I hope more traditional items return this time around even if they are not in their usual form and are spectral conjurations of the Sheikah arm. The runes were good but there just didn't seem as much variety as usual.

in the entirety of the Zelda series the hookshot is my overall favorite item somewhat narrowly beating the bow

but since they made everything climable in BOTW this more or less makes that item useless, what (unique or interesting) purpose could it still have, beats me

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
in the entirety of the Zelda series the hookshot is my overall favorite item somewhat narrowly beating the bow

but since they made everything climable in BOTW this more or less makes that item useless, what (unique or interesting) purpose could it still have, beats me

They could instill the use the whip had in SS, the ability to swipe items off foes, it'd also allow easier climbing and i daresay a few puzzles could come about specifically for it. One good use would be reeling in foes for link to hit or even to catch some fish cuz aside from shock arrows fishing is irritating.

Link can only climb short distances really with the hookshot you'd be able to reach heights far quicker saving a bit of time.

I'd like if we could get customizable heads for the hookshot or some drag time before the hook head breaks off the hooked point.

Final upgrade for it could be a serrated clawed head that'd allow alot longer hang time and to wrench weapons from even the toughest foes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom