• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler The Return of Demise?

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Today, this author decided to defeat the final Boss of Skyward Sword again today, mainly to have a little bit of fun, and to defeat him the way he was supposed to be beaten. Namely, having lightning strike your sword and perform a faux-Skyward Strike on him, but that is beside the point. I had beaten him by attacking him when he used his Skyward Strike knock off and uncharged his sword.

As I stood there, swinging my Wiimote wildly (due to a laggy sensor), dodging attacks, and shouting pointlessly at my Wiimote for needing calibration five seconds after the last time I calibrated it, I enjoyed what I consider the greatest final boss Zelda has had. I paid extra attention to the dialogue throughout the entire scenario. Now, Demise's residual essence was sealed inside the Master Sword by Fi. Immediately, I noticed the one word that has become rather familiar to those of us who pay close attention to the games and dialogue: SEAL (ED). Demise's residual essence is sealed within the Master Sword, and if Zelda has taught us anything, it is that a seal never lasts.

Perhaps he will make a reappearance in Zelda Wii U? However, if he makes a return, Fi must also, as she stays inside the Master Sword to hold him at bay. Now, I have a feeling that, in order to make a return, Ganondorf has to lay a hand on the sword somehow. Cripple it in some way physically, I mean. Considering he tried to cripple it in The Wind Waker by attacking the Sages who kept it powerful, he'll probably have to attack the sages, making it a normal blade again, and then physically destroy the blade itself.

Just imagine, a scene in the climax where Ganondorf steals the blade from you, reveals he destroyed the Sages keeping it powerful (poor Medli and Makar), and shatters it in front of you. Suddenly, that essence of Demise that was sealed away in Skyward Sword comes out and starts to empower Ganondorf, who suddenly becomes Demise, reborn. How would you beat him? I don't know. Maybe a bit of Goddess Deus ex Machina gives you a BFS that allows you to match him and completely obliterate Demise forever? I just think the scene would be awesome.

What do you guys think?

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Oh dear, here we go again.

If you have seen my timeline theory thread, you know my views on what Skyward Sword does. It creates another split in the timeline, but that split has yet to place any games on it, so it basically is there just to be there. Demise was killed in the present, but in the past he was killed and his remains were sealed within the blade (and this side of my split is the side the series takes place on), and if there really is no split, Demise of the present would have been un-made, replaced by what was left of him in the sword.

In any case, Demise is in the sword, and it would be interesting to see something like this happen in a later game.

And I also just figured something. Don't yo find it ironic that the remains of the evil god are sealed within the sword that you use to destroy his incarnation multiple times? Basically you're using the evil god to kill his own servant.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
This thread is mostly speculative and has a lot of "wouldn't if be cool if x happened" sorts of things; try to remould this into more of a direct theory. If the thread remains primarily speculative, I will close it down the road.

I think Skyward Sword explains quite clearly that the only returns that Demise will be making are through Ganondorf, Vaati, or any other antagonist that may come up in the future simply by the power of his own hatred. So in a way, Demise continues to return, but not in flesh and blood.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
If you have seen my timeline theory thread, you know my views on what Skyward Sword does. It creates another split in the timeline, but that split has yet to place any games on it, so it basically is there just to be there. Demise was killed in the present, but in the past he was killed and his remains were sealed within the blade (and this side of my split is the side the series takes place on), and if there really is no split, Demise of the present would have been un-made, replaced by what was left of him in the sword.

Even if that were so, Demise's remains decayed in the Master Sword. His hatred is what hung around and is what caused Ganondorf to show up. Even if there was another split (which I'm sure Nintendo is not intending) Demise wouldn't return directly.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Some people think that the Sealing Spike is, in some way, the Master Sword. Given that Demise can get out of the Sealing Spike, your statement does make sense with that. That is, of course, if you believe that.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Well, this is more of one of those "I think it happens/will happen like this" threads, which is, in essence, what the timeline theories were like.

The Master Sword was in no way related to the Sealing Spike except that it kept Demise at bay. Now, it will be a lot harder for him to get out now that he's only a cloud of darkness, but, like I said, if there's anything Zelda has taught us, it is that seals never last. Somehow, some way, he will get out. I am of the opinion that this will likely be the finale of the series (I pray that day never comes) when this happens.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
The Master Sword was in no way related to the Sealing Spike except that it kept Demise at bay.
If the MS is the sealing spike, that would solve the apparent conflict between split/rewritten time and predestined events. Demise would have been sealed in the MS all along, and Ghirahim and Link going back in time wouldn't have changed anything. I believe Lex detailed this in an article shortly after release. The only issues would then be small things like the Tree of Life and why future Impa is so uncertain of what happened in the past just after she sees Ghirahim go through the Gate of Time.

Even so... I don't really buy it. The spike and the MS are so different. >.<

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Some people think that the Sealing Spike is, in some way, the Master Sword. Given that Demise can get out of the Sealing Spike, your statement does make sense with that. That is, of course, if you believe that.

How could the Master Sword be the Sealing Spike though? In SS we see the Goddess Sword transform into the MS throughout the duration of the game, therefore meaning that we're holding the (eventual) Master Sword the entire time. Not only that, but after hindering The Imprisoned each time, it is by that very blade that the Spike again stoppers his seal. This is proof enough that the MS is not the Sealing Spike, though, in certain ways, it could be considered similar. But no, the Goddess Sword is what becomes the Blade of Evil's Bane through exposure to the power of the Sacred Flames. The MS and Spike acting as seals is as far as their resemblance extends in my book.

How could the Master Sword be the Sealing Spike though? In SS we see the Goddess Sword transform into the MS throughout the duration of the game, therefore meaning that we're holding the (eventual) Master Sword the entire time. Not only that, but after hindering The Imprisoned each time, it is by that very blade that the Spike again stoppers his seal. This is proof enough that the MS is not the Sealing Spike, though, in certain ways, it could be considered similar. But no, the Goddess Sword is what becomes the Blade of Evil's Bane through exposure to the power of the Sacred Flames. The MS and Spike acting as seals is as far as their resemblance extends in my book.

Seems like you are having problems understanding the time travel. If I understand correctly, what SNOlink means, is that the master sword, that stayed at the past, is or is inside the spike. Everyone knows that the Goddess Sword becomes the Master Sword, once the GS turns in the MS, Link goes to the past and seals Demise in it. The Master Sword with Demise sealed inside stays at the sealed grounds while its younger version, the Goddess Sword, is in Skyloft. Both are the same, but the MS is a lot of years older, they both exist at the same time because when it became the MS it was send to the past

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Seems like you are having problems understanding the time travel. If I understand correctly, what SNOlink means, is that the master sword, that stayed at the past, is or is inside the spike. Everyone knows that the Goddess Sword becomes the Master Sword, once the GS turns in the MS, Link goes to the past and seals Demise in it. The Master Sword with Demise sealed inside stays at the sealed grounds while its younger version, the Goddess Sword, is in Skyloft. Both are the same, but the MS is a lot of years older, they both exist at the same time because when it became the MS it was sent to the past

So it's like a time paradox? Yeah, those are hard to understand.

This is just the way I see it otherwise:
Events continued as they did until Link set out to track down Zelda, succeeds, and continues his quest by completing all the trials laid out for him. And at the end the goddess statue falls and obliterates The Imprisoned altogether. Then Ghirahim abducts Zelda and goes to the past to resurrect his master from there, yet Link defeats both him and Demise. Finally, to conclude all that, Link must insert the Master Sword into the pedestal while still in the past and right after that he returns to the future. The Master Sword is still there in that room of the Sealed Temple, and by doing that he altered the events of time, causing Demise to no longer exist in any form, but was insteaf sealed within its blade. This also points to the Sealing Spike not being the Master Sword since the GS was in Skyloft until Fi led Link to it.

Additionally I don't think the Goddess Sword remained in Skyloft after all this because the goddess statue fell. I have no way to ascertain what became of it, but by my best guess it either remained inside the statue and was forgotten, or it vanished altogether. But this is simply my opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom