• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Resident Evil Thread

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
So I'm a really big Resident Evil fan and just thought I make this thread to discuss everything Resident Evil and keep you updated with news and share my thoughts on Resident Evil.

Resident Evil is one of my favorite video game series, it probably tops Zelda on my list. I first got into Resident Evil with Resident Evil 2 on the N64. Even though I never played the games I still knew the story and loved the series. So when I was mature and good enough to actually play a game like Resident Evil I played and passed Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 4 was so different from what Resident Evil was but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It was a fantastic game on its own and still had some scares here and there but nothing like the originals. It was more of an action game but still had a dark enough atmosphere and made me panic at times due to being ammo hungry and being surrounded. Then came Resident Evil 5. The one that went the furthest away from the series. It was still an action game but this time it was co-op. Even though it is a fantastic game it took a lot away from what made Resident Evil, well Resident Evil. The setting of the game wasn't scary and the atmosphere didn't even feel creepy and the game was level based. It got rid of the infamous type writer that was in every game before it. The game did deliver moments of being panicked but not because of fear.

Time to talk originals. Resident Evil REmake was and still is a classic. This is the definition of a remake. The camera angles of the original games were awesome and is what added to the survival horror. You never knew what to expect when you turn the corner and you always hear random growls that freaked you out. The music always got loud when you encounter something special which also just made you want to run away due to fear. Then comes the surprising crimson head zombies that are stronger and just come running at you unexpectedly along with Hunters and Cerberus. The second game was also a classic and provided two different experiences for each character. It also introduced one of the scariest monsters in the Resident Evil series, the Lickers. This game had some scares of its own. For example, the hands busting out from walls, Mr X and William Birkin roaming the police station, etc. This game was just so much more epic then the first. Enter Nemesis, Resident Evil 3 was another great installment in the Resident Evil series but just wasn't as memorable like the first two to me. Doesn't mean it wasn't good. This game had more scares up it's sleeves. First off the game is different each time around, you feel safe because zombies weren't here before well think again. Then if you thought the two wimps in the police station were tough well think again again because Nemesis was a real bi.... every time he encounters you, you have a choice to run or stay and fight. Just because you run doesn't mean you're safe. He will chase you and go through doors and walls if he needs too. He was also really fast and mutated which made him even harder and scarier. This game was pure genius when it came to scaring the sh... out of me. I can't say much about Code Veronica since I haven't started it yet but lets not forget about Resident Evil 0. This was another great game that took place before the infamous mansion incident in Raccoon City. This game also brought something new to the table. It gave you the ability to switch between two characters throughout the game at anytime and also had you sharing equipment between the characters which required smarter playing. You also had to decide were to leave what and when to come back for it, no more easy street with magical chests. All in all the Resident Evil series is a great series.

Enough nostalgia, lets talk the new. First off, Resident Evil Code Veronica and Resident Evil 4 is coming to the XBOX 360 Arcade and the PSN remastered in HD sometime this year. Even though I have these games, I'll get em again for the achievements.

Then there is Resident Evil Mercenaries 3DS for the Nintendo 3DS which is just Mercenaries mode from Resident Evil 4 and 5 with various characters from the Resident Evil Universe with new modes and character abilities. The confirmed characters as of now are Chris Redfield, Claire Redfield, Jill Valentine, Rebecca Chambers, Barry Burton, Jack Krauser, HUNK, and Albert Wesker. This game looks fantastic and will come with a demo of Resident Evil Revelations when it hits stores June 28.

Speaking of Resident Evil Revelations. Revelations goes back to the roots of the series and empathizes more on horror, conserving ammo, puzzle solving, and back tracking. The camera angle is still behind the shoulder like the previous two Resident Evil games 4 and 5 an will take place on a cruise ship, a village, and snowy mountains. This is set in 2005/between 4 and 5 and features Resident Evil's originals Chris and Jill and will be only on the Nintendo 3DS.

Another Resident Evil game is also scheduled to release this year, Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City for the XBOX 360 and the PS3. It is a shooter being developed by Slant Six and published by Capcom that takes you back to the Raccoon City outbreak/Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3. This time you'll get to alter the timeline and play as the bad guys.

What do you guys think of this series? Who's your favorite character? What's Your favorite game? What is your top scare? What do you think of the new titles? Discuss.

Last edited:

SuperGleeok64

For the Greater Good.
Sadly I've only gotten to play RE 5, but I thought it was a great game. I've seen quite a bit of game play from RE 4 and I think I would like it if I played it.

Also I can't wait for RE: Operation Raccoon City since I read about it in the last issue of GameInformer.

blackenedktulu

Fierce Deity
Resident Evil wouldn't be one of my favourite over all series, but definitely my favourite horror/action game. (Haven't played Silent Hill or Dead Space, starting on those over the Summer)
I first played RE:2, and Nemesis at the same time. I rented the both of them, when I was around 10 (11 years ago... how depressing) And I remember trembling with fear during my first encounter with Nemesis - "S.T.A.R.S.". I never completed either of them as I never owned them, but I played them a few times. They were genuinely terrifying to me.

I bought RE:4 on my Wii in... 2008, I believe. And I LOVED it. As you said, it's quite different from the others, but not TOO different. I wasn't too keen on the storyline, but the gameplay was fun. (The Ashley/Leon parts where you can control either of them, (4-3, I think) still makes me quiver. I just feel such panic when I'm playing a game like that, and that's the reason I love them - The adrenaline you feel when you're low on ammo, and Ashley is being carried away. Ah, bliss.

The Gamecube edition of RE is on my list of games to get, so hopefully I'll have it soon enough. I watched a friend play through it on the Playstation, and thought it looked cool, but I was too afraid to play it :P
I played Code Veronica:X briefly (like, half an hour), at a cousin's house, so I never got into it. And I haven't played 5.

I might get the 3DS games, if they get good reviews, but I'm not certain just yet.

As an aside, I <3 the Resident Evil movies. I'm one of the only people I know who does. They're cheesy, and not completely well written, but I still think they're amazing - the first one in particular.

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
What do you guys think of this series? Who's your favorite character? What's Your favorite game? What is your top scare? What do you think of the new titles? Discuss.

Its ridiculously scary, but good at the same time. I haven't played any of the earlier games nor do I plan to anytime soon because I'm not into that hardcore horror. Its just not for me. I read each characters files though, watched degeneration, and researched online on some parts, so I think I'm pretty much "caught up" when it comes to the story. The series has a lot of cool characters that are very unique, but my #1 favorite would have to be Jill Valentine (BSAA of course :rolleyes:). RE5 Chris was cool too even though he kept getting his butt kicked in almost every cutscene. He has good hair though so I guess that makes up for it lol! Oh, and I like Claire and Ada too.

Anyway, speaking of Chris...I have to say Resident evil 5 was my favorite. It was kind of creepy, but it wasn't scary. I think that's what Capcom was aiming for when they created this game. They probably wanted players like me to get the chance to play so they could expand their audience. Some of the things that I loved about this game were the story of finding Jill, gameplay, co-op, and the Versus mode they included when you purchase the DLC from the gold edition.

I like the new titles, but I'm kind of disappointed in the Mercenaries 3D because its basically a copy of the original from RE5. Sure, they add Claire and Krauser....but that's it. There won't be any Leon since he's in a different game and there's no Ada either. Is there going to be any story in this game? Even though nobody really knows much about Revelations; it seems like it would still be the highly anticipated game out of the two.

here's the character trailer for the Mercenaries 3D by the way......
[video=youtube;f_W0Q_QO6vw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_W0Q_QO6vw[/video]

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Its ridiculously scary, but good at the same time. I haven't played any of the earlier games nor do I plan to anytime soon because I'm not into that hardcore horror. Its just not for me. I read each characters files though, watched degeneration, and researched online on some parts, so I think I'm pretty much "caught up" when it comes to the story. The series has a lot of cool characters that are very unique, but my #1 favorite would have to be Jill Valentine (BSAA of course :rolleyes:). RE5 Chris was cool too even though he kept getting his butt kicked in almost every cutscene. He has good hair though so I guess that makes up for it lol! Oh, and I like Claire and Ada too.

Anyway, speaking of Chris...I have to say Resident evil 5 was my favorite. It was kind of creepy, but it wasn't scary. I think that's what Capcom was aiming for when they created this game. They probably wanted players like me to get the chance to play so they could expand their audience. Some of the things that I loved about this game were the story of finding Jill, gameplay, co-op, and the Versus mode they included when you purchase the DLC from the gold edition.

I like the new titles, but I'm kind of disappointed in the Mercenaries 3D because its basically a copy of the original from RE5. Sure, they add Claire and Krauser....but that's it. There won't be any Leon since he's in a different game and there's no Ada either. Is there going to be any story in this game? Even though nobody really knows much about Revelations; it seems like it would still be the highly anticipated game out of the two.

here's the character trailer for the Mercenaries 3D by the way......
[video=youtube;f_W0Q_QO6vw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_W0Q_QO6vw[/video]

Well actually, Leon was in Resident Evil 4 and the Mercenaries mode came from there. They have all the maps from 4 and 5, it's stupid because they add Krauser and HUNK but no Leon and Ada. What he hell. Barry and Rebecca make the cut too? Why not throw in Billy as well along with Sheva, she was in Resident Evil 5 even Excella. I bet Capcom is just trying to make more money off of DLC because they know people will pay for Leon and Ada in a pack together. Also, Mercenaries will have no real story but it will have co-op missions like 30 or more of them. Thanks for putting up that trailer, it looks great and I've never seen it before. I also can't wait for Revelations. Mercenaries will just fulfill my need to kill zombies with some of my favorite characters but Revelations is the real next installment in the epic Resident Evil franchise and I need more of it!!!

Also. I feel a bit more disappointed about Resident Evil 5. What happened to this game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKvrI1NRtX4

Screw co-op, this version would of shut up Leon Kennedy fan boys and looks a whole lot better then what we ended up getting. I hate whoever said Resident Evil 5 was racist, they ruined the game.

I would also have to say that my biggest Resident Evil scare came from Resident Evil 3. I was running back from the hospital as Carlos with Jill's cure and as I get close... BAM!!! Nemesis comes busting out of a wall and as I run towards the next door with fear again. It turns out Nemesis mutated even more. I'm close to the door and I see some really long tentacles reaching at me as I barely make it to safety. I feel safe because Jill is just in the next room and what happens. Nemesis comes running out from fire in the background and the same thing happens again but this time he reaches me and throws me across the room and gives me a fight until I get to Jill on time.

As for favorite character, I like all of them so I'll just list them from favorite to least favorite.

Chris Redfield
Leon S. Kennedy
Jill Valentine
Claire Redfield
Billy Coen
Rebecca Chambers
Carlos Oliveira

Again as for favorite game I'll make another list.

Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 3 Nemesis
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles

Can't choose where CVX goes since I have yet to start it.

As for new titles, I'm only excited for Mercenaries, Revelations, and the ports. I'm most excited for Revelations for obvious reasons. Operation Raccoon City seems like a waste of time and also pointless.

Last edited:

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
I bet Capcom is just trying to make more money off of DLC because they know people will pay for Leon and Ada in a pack together.

IF they make it. According to the article about Leon being missing from Mercenaries 3D; they don't have any plans right now for DLC. I just think it would be beneficial if they added more characters to the game because it increase more sales once Mercenaries is released. There shouldn't have to be any DLC, in my opinion. :OHere's the article by the way in case you wanted to look http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-20-why-leon-isnt-in-resi-evil-mercs-3d

Also. I feel a bit more disappointed about Resident Evil 5. What happened to this game?
Screw co-op, this version would of shut up Leon Kennedy fan boys and looks a whole lot better then what we ended up getting. I hate whoever said Resident Evil 5 was racist, they ruined the game.

Even though I said I liked it a bunch of times; I have to admit that I'm somewhat disappointed after watching this video:
[video=youtube;nbbT8pvUvXo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbbT8pvUvXo&feature=related[/video]
THIS is what should've been in the game.....well, a couple of scenes. BSAA blonde Jill would've been kick*** to play! Oh, and all of these scenes are REAL too. This isn't fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom