• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Relationship of the Koroks to the Kokiri

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
In Ocarina of Time, we have Kokiri, who are children of the forest, watched over by the Great Deku Tree.

In Wind Waker, we have the Koroks, who are children of the forest who look like twigs and leaves, and are watched over by the Great Deku Tree.

I've always wondered how the one race eventually became the other. Now, we don't exactly know the anatomy of the Kokiri, but they appear to be composed of flesh like a normal human. The Koroks, on the other hand, are made of hollow wood, their most crucial organs appear to be some sort of jingling thing that bounces around loosely inside of them, and have leaves for faces (or they wear leaves as masks.)

Now, I can't imagine an evolutionary process to be comfortable, especially going from flesh to wood, but then again we don't really know the biological traits of a Kokiri. I think there must be some actual plant DNA in Kokiri genes, because Saria's hair is green. The reason plants appear green is due to photosynthesis. The only other way to get her hair like this would be to dye it, or if she had very pure white hair and she mooshed grass into it, giving every strand a grass stain.

But seriously, how did the Kokiri eventually become the Koroks?

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
no one ever says they "evolved" into the koroks. the only statement is that they used to have different forms. any number of reasons could explain this. the DT has a plan of planting forests all over the great sea. maybe they were made to look like trees in honor of the lost forests. also, the fact that they look so different can probably best be explained by magic. there is so much magic in Zelda that its likely they were transformed rather than evolved.

Like Zemen said, it's more likely that they transformed instead of evolved. Kind of like the Rito; they couldn't have evolved from Zoras in just 100 years, they had to have had outside help.

Since I'm pretty sure the Great Deku Tree sort of created the Kokiri in the first place, ho could give them new forms, correct? So, if the entire land was flooded, what would be the best choice? Something light enough to fly. And so that's how their current form would've come. They then use Deku Leaves (that somehow work like helicopters) to fly with.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
for the record, WW takes place hundreds of years after OoT, not 100. it might be in the BS or in a conversation in the game but i know that it says somewhere that the events of Ganondorfs escaping the sacred realm happened "hundreds of years ago" as it states in game.

for the record, WW takes place hundreds of years after OoT, not 100. it might be in the BS or in a conversation in the game but i know that it says somewhere that the events of Ganondorfs escaping the sacred realm happened "hundreds of years ago" as it states in game.

It has been stated that WW takes place around 100 years after OoT, as TP does. Proof is here:
Aonuma at a Gamepro interview said:
Aonuma: Ocarina of Time basically has two endings of sorts; one has Link as a child and the other has him as an adult. This game, The Wind Waker, takes place a hundred years after the adult Link defeats Ganon at the end of Ocarina.

Which came from here: Gamepro interview. I think that if Anouma and Myimoto say that's what happened, we have to take it as true.

Chris

It has been awhile...
Well, like Zemen said, no one said they evloved. But here I go with my crazy theroies:

I believe that some sort of magician like Agahnim (But not actually him) came and cursed the Kokiri. Then, the Kokiri slowly transformed into the korok we know today. This again is highly unlikely but still possible considering we don't actually know what happened to them. Though feel free to ignore my crazy theroies.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
It has been stated that WW takes place around 100 years after OoT, as TP does. Proof is here:

Which came from here: Gamepro interview. I think that if Anouma and Myimoto say that's what happened, we have to take it as true.

im glad you can find creator quotes, but as i said IN THE GAME ITSELF it says that the events of the BS take place HUNDREDSSSSSSSSSSSSS of years before WW. here is the in game quote since you dont seem to understand what an in game quote is.

"So, before the sealing of the kingdom,
the gods chose those who would build a
new country and commanded them to take
refuge on the mountaintops.
Those people were your ancestors.
Hundreds of years have passed since then...

So long as Ganondorf was not revived,
Hyrule would remain below, never waking
from its slumber."

thats what the king of red lions tells you.

there is your proof. in game completely destroys what the creators say. if they told you that Link wears hot pink would you believe them or would you believe what the game shows you?

Ok, I suppose you're most likely correct here. You should have just posted a reference to what you said in the first post, instead of thinking I'd believe you when you show any evidence.

Anyways, that being said, this goes against what you said earlier; it means they could have evolved, not been transformed. Hundreds of years could be long enough, if it was influenced by the Goddesses.

But I still find it more likely that it was the Deku Tree's doing.

I believe it was the Deku Tree who transformed them for one reason or another. Possibly for the purpose of planting trees and flying across the sea (with their leave propellers.)

I also think having the Kokiri turn into the Koroks was a bit of an aesthetic choice by the developers, wanting to have something different, but also to have something similar to the Deku.

For the record, Saria's hair being green doesn't have to be like you described. It could easily be because of different genetics that the Kokiri have. Either way, I'm not sure thinking about this in the lines of genetics is such a great idea, consider all the magic and such that probably surrounds the Kokiri.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Ok, I suppose you're most likely correct here. You should have just posted a reference to what you said in the first post, instead of thinking I'd believe you when you show any evidence.

Anyways, that being said, this goes against what you said earlier; it means they could have evolved, not been transformed. Hundreds of years could be long enough, if it was influenced by the Goddesses.

But I still find it more likely that it was the Deku Tree's doing.

i never once said they evolved. im the one who said that its more likely that they transformed than evolved. maybe youre the one who should read previous posts before posting.

i never once said they evolved. im the one who said that its more likely that they transformed than evolved. maybe youre the one who should read previous posts before posting.

Oh my gosh. First of all, there's no reason for you to argue me; we've both posted our opinions now, and that's that.

Second, when did I say that you believed they'd evolved? I simply mentioned that, since hundreds of years had taken place, it was possible for evolution to have happened. That made me wonder why you were arguing that, as you didn't agree with the evolution possibility anyways.

Regardless, I'm done with this argument.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
You don't win, Zemen. :P

Anyway, I thought Midna666 brought up another good point. Why DON'T the Koroks, a seemingly weaker and more fragile race of beings, though of the same "bloodline", not have fairies; while the Kokiri, a race of human-esque beings who can appear and disappear at a whim, are assigned one just as fast as they are given a name?

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Haha. Although I know a lot of people who think creator quote > in-game evidence. So I was showing that the creator quote being referred to could have easily been wrong.

fair enough. thats fing teamwork!! nice backup. the creator quotes are sometimes wrong and easily proven wrong.

just saw your post DvSag and im gonna tell you that i still win. i dont see how this matters. yes, they dont have fairies but its obvious that the koroks are the kokiri. why doesnt link have a fairy in the game? in fact, there are no fairies except for the great fairies and the healing fairies (which in my mind are different from fairies like navi).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom