• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Queen of Hyrule and the Origins of Ganondorf (Theory)

Siphonix

Eater of Worlds
Throughout all of the Zelda games you never see the Queen of Hyrule. You see King Rhoam Bosphoramus Hyrule in LOZ BOTW, and of course, the games namesake, Zelda. But why not the Queen? I have a theory. I believe that the unseen Queen of Hyrule is (duh.) the previous Zelda. I say this due to the fact that Zelda is the reincarnation of the Goddess Hylia. Let’s say that Zelda is finally with the hero (or somebody else? I’ll get back to that later.) becomes pregnant and is bout to give birth. If she is due to give birth to the next Zelda, and Zelda is the reincarnation of Hylia herself. Then. During birth she must die, for they must not be able to be alive at the same time (and yeah yeah, the baby was already was alive in the womb and whatnot, but, wasn’t born yet.) because then we would have 2 descendant of Hylia on our hands. So! That is a possibility as to why we do not see the actual Queen. Hence, why King Rhoam is very protective of Zelda in OOT and BOTW. Bam! (up for discussion).

Now this next thing is verrrrry far fetched. It is my theory on the origin of Ganondorf. (Don’t judge me XD)
So let‘s say that a male Gerudo is born right, just your average Gerudo, not having any evil intent or anything, maybe even good. And let’s just say that through the fame of their birth, a Zelda just so happens to fall in love with this male Gerudo, and they decide to have a child, and you know what’s born? Ganondorf himself. Now, this may explain why Ganondorf has powers. Do you see the female Gerudo casting spells? No. They wield spears and rely on groups for protection, so we can assume that he would not have gained powers from that hereditary line, but from Zelda’s! I mean. Come on, she is of the blood of the goddess, that screams power. But why would Ganondorf use these powers for evil? The answer is... Repression. He was shunned for being different. For being the spawn of Gerudo and the Royal Family. So through his repression he has grown distant from his family and seeks the power to be known, to gain the same fame his father had. So he starts dwelling in dark magic. And, he is able to use magic due to his mothers power. And this may also explain how he is in the possession of the piece of power.

Okay. Thanks for attending my Ted Talk. Just wanted to throw my opinion out there.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
If she is due to give birth to the next Zelda, and Zelda is the reincarnation of Hylia herself. Then. During birth she must die, for they must not be able to be alive at the same time
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link proves otherwise. The Princess Zelda that was placed under the sleeping spell was not the same Zelda from the game prior. Link wakes that Zelda up, but there is also still a Princess Zelda ruling the kingdom at the time, so we can assume they can co-exist.

Siphonix

Eater of Worlds
Thanks for the info. (Seriously) helps me become better at this.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
iirc some time passes between Zelda and Zelda II, but this is an era where all royal women are named Zelda, so there's no way to tell how many generations pass

It's more likely that ganondorf in OOT learned magic from the twinrova

So basically, Queen Zelda has a one night stand with a Gerudo, giving birth to Ganondorf who essentially becomes The Joker because reasons and then Zelda goes back and gives birth to herself who will have to contend with incel Ganondorf who is actually her inbred half-brother. And the King is protective of her because he's trying to shelter her from the existential crisis this knowledge would bring.

This fits perfectly with the fact that all of Hyrule is the product of inbreeding.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
It's been stated that Ganondorf is the result of Demise's hatred reincarnating to stalk zelda and link eternally. The only question behind it all is why he picks a gerudo the race of outcasts. Hell they all get executed anyway in TP and vanish in the adult timeline. I'd say the bigger question is why is G-dorf always a gerudo?

Siphonix

Eater of Worlds
It's been stated that Ganondorf is the result of Demise's hatred reincarnating to stalk zelda and link eternally. The only question behind it all is why he picks a gerudo the race of outcasts. Hell they all get executed anyway in TP and vanish in the adult timeline. I'd say the bigger question is why is G-dorf always a gerudo?
Maybe they are the most susceptible to magic (such as wielding) but they all know that only those in power should, such as Urbosa in botw.

Twinrova are Gerudo and also magic-wielders, though I assume they're affiliated with the "tribe of evil" or whatever as well. There's probably some outside influence involved in his possession of magic, but I doubt it's associated with the divinity of Hylia.

The first bit about the incarnations of Hylia is a real puzzler though. Either it skips a generation or the definition of "incarnation" is not traditional like we think it is. Which may be the case, as Zelda in Breath of the Wild, prayed to the Goddess as an entity separate from herself. And Tetra allegedly knew her mother as a child, if I'm remembering correctly.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I never thought of it like Demise's Hatred gets to choose who will embody that hate. Anyway, there aren't multiple incarnations of Ganondorf on each timeline anyway - every time we see Ganon in the Downfall Timeline it's the same person either broken out of a magical seal or revived from death. The same goes for all the other timelines, and the only game this is an exception in is Four Swords Adventures.

Last edited:
I'd actually like to add, that ever since Skyward Sword decided to drop that dumb bombshell on us, I was sort of always under the impression that there was some sort of active intention of "creating" the perfect host for Demise's hatred. Twinrova being Ganondorf's surrogate (I'm not really gonna elaborate on how that can be interpreted because either idea in that regard could work, I suppose), kind of suggests there was some carefully thought out selection in corrupting him through his very nature. That is, of course, if they really were associated with the tribe of evil. His possession of magic was likely deliberate on behalf of that party, though. But we don't get to see this stuff so that's my shot in the dark anyway.

PoeFacedKilla

Hylian Killer Bee
well skyward sword is stupid so we can just disregard anything it says
Hard disagree it adds a lot of lore and a great origin story to the series overall.

Well it isn't always a Gerudo if we take Vaati to be the first reincarnation. Perhaps Ganondorfs hatred towards the royal family (out of jealousy: he says in WW that the winds of the gods blew fortune on Hyrule and desert on Gerudo,) and his power over magic made him bind to Demise's curse and he himself is preventing anyone else from being the reincarnation. I'm hoping BOTW 2 gives some kind of answers.

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Hard disagree it adds a lot of lore and a great origin story to the series overall.

Well it isn't always a Gerudo if we take Vaati to be the first reincarnation. Perhaps Ganondorfs hatred towards the royal family (out of jealousy: he says in WW that the winds of the gods blew fortune on Hyrule and desert on Gerudo,) and his power over magic made him bind to Demise's curse and he himself is preventing anyone else from being the reincarnation. I'm hoping BOTW 2 gives some kind of answers.

Vaati was a picori who used a magic hat to gain his powers then further stole some of the light force from that generations princess to further change himself. He was you could literally say a self made man. As far as anyone knows theres not really any links to Demise. Vaati was just a powerhungry lil picori who then became a powerhungry fart in a cloud

PoeFacedKilla

Hylian Killer Bee
Vaati was a picori who used a magic hat to gain his powers then further stole some of the light force from that generations princess to further change himself. He was you could literally say a self made man. As far as anyone knows theres not really any links to Demise. Vaati was just a powerhungry lil picori who then became a powerhungry fart in a cloud
I mean... Ganondorf was just a Gerudo who was taught magic by his mom's and used it to take over Hyrule. Either way they both came close to destroying the royal family which is all Demise's curse is. I'd say Vaati counts as part of Demise Curse but there's no way to prove he isn't.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I mean... Ganondorf was just a Gerudo who was taught magic by his mom's and used it to take over Hyrule. Either way they both came close to destroying the royal family which is all Demise's curse is. I'd say Vaati counts as part of Demise Curse but there's no way to prove he isn't.
The curse is connected to tormenting Link and Zelda, this is true; but it was foremost about what Demise hated the most. He hated the gods, and he said his reincarnation would have a lust for the Triforce. Vaati does not meet the main two criteria to be a incarnation of the Hate Curse, with that considered. Unless you want to argue that the Light Force is the Triforce, that is.

There is also the fact that Hyrule Historia has a quote from the person who designed Demise who says Demise was created to intentionally resemble Ganon/Ganondorf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom