• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda The Puppet Archetype

Ganondork

goo
Twilight Princess had Zant, an antagonist that seemed to be the final enemy until Ganondorf came into the picture about halfway through the game. Skyward Sword had Ghirahim, who we knew was trying to revive his master, Demise. A Link Between Worlds had Hilda, who showed her true intentions to steal Hyrule's triforce, only for Yuga to take her Triforce piece. The last three Zelda titles have shared a common theme; there is a puppet who is controlled by a more powerful entity, who hides behind the scenes for much of the game.

With this increasingly used character archetype, the questions are raised: did you like the recent use of it in three consecutive Zelda titles? Do you want to see it in more Zelda games? Why do you feel this way?

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
I think that three consecutive games, plus at least two others (that I know of) from the past, namely Ocarina of Time (Phantom Ganon) and Majora's Mask (Skull Kid), is a little too much, but it's not a bad thing to use in general. At this point it's kind of a gimmick, because I honestly won't be surprised if the next game has some sort of puppet as well. It's old news.

If it's used in more games in the future, it needs to be done well, unlike the Zant fiasco in Twilight Princess. Instead of throwing in Ganondorf as a crutch, how about they create another character that could be well-suited for villainy instead of faking everyone out and ruining a perfectly good potential antagonist? In any case if they decide to use it again, they should wait a couple games before trying again.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I dont think Phantom Ganon counts either, not in the least, he was just a boss. One you all seem to be forgetting is Agahnim he was really the first "Puppet" archetype.

But to answer the question, I like the Puppet character. Usually the main boss is sealed away or imprisoned in some way and needs a Pawn to bring him out or to awaken his power. as much as I love to hate the character Ghirahim has probably been the most Interesting Pawn of a main villain i have seen in the Zelda franchise, and SS is one of my least favorite games. Zant lacked character, he seemed more Possessed than anything, as for the first one which i mentioned Agahnim was interesting, but still theres the debate of whether he was actually Ganon in disguise or not, I believe NOT, but either way is still a good story for me.

So yeah im all about the Pawn archtype, However if ever Dark Link were to become a villain, i wouldnt want there to be a Pawn, I would want him to meddle in your adventure the whole way through. However knowing Nintendo, if Dark Link were to become a real character, he would end up being the Pawn to Ganon. at least thats how i feel!

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
Just to start, Phantom Hourglass did not have a puppet villian (OK, the Ghost Ship was a place, not a villain. That doesn't count, sine the only villain was Bellum), but Spirit Tracks did, with Cole, sorta. He had a Ghirahim-ish role, so yeah. You didn't mention either of these games, and they came after Twilight Princess. So that's not exactly consecutive.

Anyway, I rather do like this arcetype, when it is done well. A la ALBW, and not TP. But I do think Nintendo has been using it too much lately. I say, give the puppets a break, give us some straightforward, evil villains for a while, then bring the puppets back when they've had enough time to become cool and unexpected again.

It needs to just plain stop, it was never a good idea. I find it to be lazy and predictable even for Zelda standards. Ganondorf's shoehorning into TP was one of the worst I've ever seen; it even ruined the game for me a little since I actually liked Zant a little by the time he was sent off, but Surprise! Zant didn't matter and you're stupid for thinking so! No it's not just Zelda that has this problem, it can't be done right at all. I venture to say it's even more stale than the U R HERO GO CRAWL DUNGEON cliche.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't necessarily hate this archetype but I am rather tired of seeing it. It makes for a good twist when handled properly, but I like it better when the main villain is introduced in the beginning, so we can have a good build-up to the final battle. If we get to see the main bad guy and what he can do early on, it can give a great sense of anticipation to when you finally get to fight him, especially if he appears often to strut his stuff. I enjoy that kind of thing more than the puppet archetype.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Though I favor the whole "Pawn doing the main villains bidding" thing, it would be nice for them to have a game with a Main Villain who doesnt need such help from underlings. It would be nice for a Villain you Fear by the time you face him cuz you have seen him do some pretty bad stuff, as apposed to some Evil Wizard who lets a bunch of Pawns do his bidding. I'm not saying him being the boss of every level, just more of an Interactive Villain.

I cant believe im doing this.... But Ghirahim has been the best Villain as far as a Villain that is kinda.. pretty much... the main bad guy! I emotionally dreaded running into him, with all his flamboyance and arrogance! Now that i have played the game twice, i can respect how well designed he was. His final Form is what tops it all off for me. Hes weird and all out Creepy. He proves the Puppet Archtype can work in modern videogames (Zelda).

TriFiERCE

Fury, Spirit, and Will
Yeah, the Puppet archtype is getting old. Thank goodness Shia from Zelda Musou ain't gonna be one.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
videogames do every concept to death. I'd still like a new villain completely independent of Ganon.

I agree, but i really like ganon, so if we do go without ganon, i would like a more just spiteful villain. one who is all about just effin with Link and trying to be meddling in his work.

But i do want ganon back

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom