• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The PROPER way to say Scone

How do you pronounce scone

• Scone (as in bone)

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Scone (as in gone)

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Scone (as in cupcake)

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Every PROPER British person drinks tea and eats scones. But there is a debate on how to pronounce the name. Some say it rhymes with gone and some say it rhymes with bone.

If you say it the PROPER way it rhymes with gone but I am interested to know how everyone here pronounces it.

If you say it the PROPER way
This is called linguistic prestige, and there is truly no "correct" or "proper" way to say something as long as all parties engaged in communication can understand each other. Note that a lack of understanding just means that the person listening doesn't understand the speaker rather than the speaker speaking "incorrectly". Personally I pronounce "Scone" like "cone"

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
This is called linguistic prestige, and there is truly no "correct" or "proper" way to say something as long as all parties engaged in communication can understand each other. Note that a lack of understanding just means that the person listening doesn't understand the speaker rather than the speaker speaking "incorrectly". Personally I pronounce "Scone" like "cone"

You are quite wrong there. There is indeed a proper way to speak English and that is how they speak in Oxford. The birthplace of the English language and of course the Oxford English dictionary. Oxford English is how Jesus himself spoke and how God speaks.

You are quite wrong there. There is indeed a proper way to speak English and that is how they speak in Oxford. The birthplace of the English language and of course the Oxford English dictionary. Oxford English is how Jesus himself spoke and how God speaks.

By jove dear chap, i say jolly good show on the thread pondering the linguistic prestige of those fellows across the pond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom