• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Problem with Resident Evil 6...

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
...as a Resident Evil game. Now I've expressed my opinions on Resident Evil 6 on several occasions, since its release on October 2nd. In case you're not familiar with my posts, here's a quick rundown. Resident Evil 6 has tons of great content, and does so much right, but has its flaws. Its biggest weakness, is its ambition. Capcom tried to do too much with a great idea, that would of been perfect, if it had less. With that said, I'll admit that I had, and still continue to have, a great time with Resident Evil 6. It's a fun game, and is worth checking out if you enjoy action games, co-op games, or are a fan of the direction the series has been heading.

I've been a fan of Resident Evil since my brother first got Resident Evil 2 for the N64. So I understand where a lot of the older fans are coming from when they bash the more action oriented installments. As a gamer, I appreciate both sides of the series, but as a fan of the series and the survival horror genre, I really wish Capcom would go back to its roots. I'm not asking for fixed camera angles, mansions, or any of what we got from the past, but an evolution of that. I don't even mind if action is mixed in there, just as long as we get something that resembles what the series used to be. I want backtracking, fear of what's around the next corner, intimidating enemies, exploration, and puzzle solving.

It's sad to say, but Resident Evil 4 and 5 do a better job of most of those elements, than Resident Evil 6. Resident Evil 4 and 5 may have been linear, but the environments were still very explorable. Whereas Resident Evil 6 feels like there is only one path, with all possible items being dropped on the floor after wasting an enemy. The "horror" feels really forced, and the exploration was pushed down to 0. The beginning of Leon's campaign is nothing but walking with no reason to go off elsewhere, and cheap "scares" that come off as stupid. What's the point in being forced to walk? Does it somehow make the game scary? At least have something interesting occur.

Then there's the zombies... don't get me wrong, they were a bit overwhelming, and I loved the variety, but they were pushovers. You shoot them and they get dazed and even fall back a bit. In the original games, I was reluctant to unload on a zombie, and when I did, he was relentless. His head would jerk a bit, but that sonofa***** still kept walking towards me. Now, they're just canon fodder. Are zombies no longer scary, or is Capcom just slacking? I mean, the most recent entries that were actually scary, featured different enemies. Revelations has oozes, and Resident Evil 5's Lost in Nightmares DLC, had some huge ugly monsters. Even the reapers in RE5 were terrifying.

We all remember Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, don't we? You know what the best part of that game was? NEMESIS! He was unpredictable, and his encounters can go in a number of directions. So it was good news when Capcom announced that they were going to put that same magic into Resident Evil 6, with the Ustanak. Too bad it was a failed attempt. It was too scripted and was treated very poorly. He would of worked fine, if the game was more open-ended, but it's the same old stuff every time. Especially when you have a lame *** character who could just melee the damn monster until it goes away...

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind if the next Resident Evil game had an open world and was slower paced. It could still have the same gameplay mechanics as Resident Evil 6, or a variation of that, while still being co-op. I say this, because an open world would provide Resident Evil with enough leeway to utilize all of the elements that make the series so great. The streets could act as a hub in which we have to traverse to get from one place to another, and the destinations could be buildings or whatnot, in which we have to solve puzzles and and backtrack through. Sounds unconventional for the series, but at this point, the series needs a new approach.

So what do you guys think? Do you agree with me? Do you disagree? Would you like to see something new for the next installment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom