• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild The Problem With No Specific Dungeon Order

• Thread starter Deleted member 14134
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 14134

When I played A Link Between Worlds I found that during the 7 main dungeons the first few were more difficult, but as I progressed and got more heart containers the game got much easier as it went on. Don't get me wrong, bosses in Zelda have been too easy for years now, even in linear games but I feel that the game should feel harder the farther you get into rather than easier since you can take more hits. I hope they fix this for Zelda U and make enemies hit harder as you progress through the game the way enemies in Skyrim and other RPG's level up with you.

Also I prefer finding my own items rather than all of them being available from the start in one central location. If your going to open the entire world to us at one let us find the items to make progress rather than just pick up what we need when we need it.

That is all for now.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
That's actually a really good point, with making you able to decide which dungeons to do first, they can't make any specifically harder than others. I'd say that I hope they make there a general order of what dungeons to do in Zelda Wii U, but not make it SO linear. Because there does have to be the sense of it getting harder. Although as you said, Zelda games have all been too easy lately, so I'd say there's not much hope anyways :P

As for the items, I didn't hugely mind Ravio's shop. I guess it is nice to go out and find them, but there WERE some items in ALBW that you went out and found, not every item was in Ravio's shop. I don't think they'll do that kind of thing again, because I think it was a one time gimmick they were trying out, not a new way of doing the series.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Making enemies hit harder doesn't really do anything. You could simply not collect heart containers and achieve the same result. The problem is that the puzzles don't get harder, the AI doesn't get smarter, and there's no new twists to the enemies to make them more challenge. Simply making them hit harder as you go on is pointless artificial difficulty.

In a way, it also sort of eliminates a true sense of adventure. There's less motivation to explore when you have full access to generally all overworld terrain right off the bat. That's not totally true all of the time, but don't deny the fact that when you obtain something like bombs or a hookshot in a dungeon, the first thing you do once you clear it, is use them to explore places you couldn't reach before. Places you saw earlier in the game where you would need them, but couldn't yet access. If you already had said items, there would be not much time in between one dungeon and the next, because you'd have already thoroughly dissected the overworld and all of its secrets. That's not really any fun. And is probably part of the reason why I whipped through A Link Between Worlds so quickly.

Believe it or not, I think pieces of heart are one of the biggest promoters of overworld exploration. They're usually pretty well hidden and oftentimes involve some backtracking and remembering details. Having immediate access to all items, and therefore all dungeons totally shatters that element. I think A Link to the Past did nearly a perfect job with this. I suppose it was also the title that introduced the idea of heart pieces, but while it did have a fixed dungeon order, and therefore a general dungeon item order, you could still bypass it if you felt brave enough. The dungeons within your access were generally the same in terms of difficulty--just certain elements were different that made you think a little bit more as well as deemed them slightly more "dangerous." But you could always go into a dungeon, grab the item in it, and leave to proceed to a harder, more difficult dungeon. I did this a lot. (I normally saved Skull Woods for last because it's my least favorite dungeon, but in order to get past the first room in Ice Palace, I needed the Fire Rod. So, I would use the Cane of Somaria--which I got from Misery Mire--to hold down that pressure switch to get access to the big key room, instead of pushing a statue and risking getting snatched by a wallmaster. Then I'd get the Fire Rod and get the heck out of there.)

And I don't think I really want a solid non-linear game like A Link Between Worlds--at least, not for a while. I liked how A Link to the Past was open to the option, but sometimes you really had to work for an odd dungeon order, depending on what order you end up doing. Sure, it's probably making things more complicated than they need to be, but it certainly makes for a unique playthrough. Ocarina of Time is the same way, in most cases. There is a more distinguishable step up in difficulty from dungeon to dungeon in that game (at least, moreso than in A Link to the Past), but if that doesn't hinder you, then nothing will. Nothing wrong with clearing the Fire Temple first, Forest Temple second and the Spirit Temple third... nothing... at all...

Last edited:
I think that they made the game this way to shake things up from ALTTP, which is the game I've played most and is my favorite in the series(well a tie with MM). I love what ALBW did cause it gave a fresh feel and so much nostalgia at the same time. I just finished my second playthrough last week and I gotta say it's game that may have topped it's predecessor

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
There should be a levelling system as i suggested in a previous thread. That way they could have areas that are advisable to do first because some places would be too tough to fight in initially.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
There should be a levelling system as i suggested in a previous thread. That way they could have areas that are advisable to do first because some places would be too tough to fight in initially.

....So basically, more or less requiring players to go through the linear system...but now with grinding. Nty.

Your point is completely valid. I'm not sure how they could manage to have a game get progressively harder, which I personally would prefer, when there is no set order to the dungeons.

The solution to your problems are very simple... Maybe the main quest items can be hidden in random places in the overworld and/or tied into sidequests. I think it would be cool to get clues on the whereabouts of certain items from NPCs. For example a certain NPC might agree to give you a map or clues on where to find the bow, hookshot etc for X amount of rupees. And to carry that concept further maybe you can hire other adventurers to help you find items that are hidden in especially dangerous locations that are crawling with enemies. IDK thats just my idea...

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The problem is that the puzzles don't get harder, the AI doesn't get smarter.

Yeah I always thought this was an issue that needs to get fixed somehow. I'm guessing they could try preset difficulty puzzles. Like each puzzle is the same and has the same result but you can choose a difficultly level for a particuliar puzzle, either easy, medium, or hard. Is this a bad idea or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom