• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Problem Falls to Link

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I think I found what makes me slowly irk at the graphics of Skyward Sword. It is Link, he is the cause of this bad taste in my mouth. I mean, look at how much he clashes with everything:

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20100615103805125_640w.jpg

The shading given to him is overall too dark for this game. The style that his model is also too grim to fit with the lighter settings as well. He's the thing that makes the graphical style stand out to me.

I believe that Link's model should be altered in SS to something a little lighter and less realistic while still being cel shaded. For instance, I find that Link from Alttp could fit well, OOX Link, or perhaps the Link from the Space world demo.

zeldacube3_640w.jpg

380px-OoA_Link.png

ALTTP001.jpg

Just imagine them and you'd see how much better they'd fit in those settings than this Link model.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This Link doesn't look all that bad. Maybe it is because the land he is in (in the screenshot, anyway) is too light, filled with sun? I'm sure he'll look better in a dark dungeon...

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
I disagree; the realistic cell shading approach looks really good so far.
But remember that there's still a lot of time before it's released, so the graphics could change a bit between now and then.

Understand that more often than not, graphics improve from what is shown at E3 to the final product. I would be surprised if there is no graphical improvement to this game by the time of release. This doesn't mean a change of style of course. Look at OoT beta and the finished product, that is the kind of change I'm talking about.

To put it in perspective, look at was available on Ocarina of Time in the 1997 E3. Obviously, there were significant improvements on the graphics without changing the style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgOfJalW_tQ

Hierarch7

~The Wolf~
I disagree and agree at the same time,
While we must keep in mind, this is NOT Link. The Link we know is in the future. (gaming wise). Also, each series Link most likely looks somewhat different. I like the approach on trying to make him look more realistic, but dislike stepping too far away from the other games. Also, this is most likely not the finalized product. He may look different when the game actually comes out.

:triforce: The Seventh Hierarch :triforce:

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I love how his outfit looks. I hate how he looks. He looks really feminine. That shot of him all by himself at the beginning of the trailer was super goofy, girly, and creepy.

R

Rarulla6

Nintendo needs to go one way or another with these graphics. Trying to make a Twilight Princess and Wind Waker hybrid is like splicing human DNA with animal DNA.

Oh wait....

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Well I do agree that there is something a bit...off about his appearance. Part of me can't help but feel he looks too short, but that's probably just me and most likely not the reason he clashes a bit with the background. I can't exactly pinpoint why he looks bit out of place, but it's a rather small thing I think. At any rate, there's always the possibility his model will be tweaked before the game's released, and even if it's not, I don't think it's terribly distracting anyways, at least not enough to damper the game.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I love how his outfit looks. I hate how he looks. He looks really feminine. That shot of him all by himself at the beginning of the trailer was super goofy, girly, and creepy.

When has he really NOT looked feminine? IMO, he's looked feminine--more or less--in every game of the series.

Sorta.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Honestly, I have to say I disagree. I think that the Link from SS is fine and perfect for the whole world. I think he fits the whole atmosphere of the area perfectly, and I also think that the model of Link from Spaceworld seems too similar from his model in SS to make much of a difference. Another thing is that OoX or ALttP Link probably wouldn't blend in too well with the environment. Just my two cents of the matter.

L

Legendary Dude

Actually, I like these graphics. Its not Wind Waker, and its not Twilight Princess. Its kinda both. Its different, I guess.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
Hmmm....it looks like you got chewed out on that opinion a bit.

Here's what I think: I see where you're coming from in terms of why you think this Link model doesn't fit with the environment. To an *extent* I can agree. Actually I am of the opinion that a rendition of young link would have complemented SS's art style the most. It does have a sort of Alice-in-wonderland-y feel to it, and I think a youthful Link would have best expressed the childlike wonder that I feel is characteristic of SS's visually fantastical world.

However, I don't think this Link model is really that out of place. I think the shading of Link gives off the impression that he was painted in, a characteristic shared by the world around him. Additionally, I feel that you're inclination of Link being out of place in the environment will only be eating at you so long as you do not see other characters (as well as towns/villages) placed in the environment alongside Link. If you see that these other characters and places share the same style of shading used in Link's model, I believe you will find the overall art style to be more balanced, and will no longer feel so much that Link is out of place. You will certainly see this when the final game is released, so don't think you'll be disappointed when it's complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom