• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Possibility of a Resident Evil Reboot

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I've been wrestling with this idea for a while now. Half of me desperately wants a reboot of the franchise, the other half just wants to see what they cook up for Resident Evil 7. The end of Resident Evil 6 seemed to be setting up a few plot lines for Capcom to follow on from, particularly with Ada and Jake. I love Ada and would relish the opportunity to find out more about her (and one day, one bloody day, see her and Leon kiss each other again) and I really liked Jake too and think he could be an interesting lead, especially if Chris has actually been retired from the limelight like RE6 seems to suggest.

On the other hand though, I really miss Raccoon City. I miss S.T.A.R.S. I miss Rebecca and Barry and Wesker. A reboot could bring all of these things back to me, but new, like I'd be having them for the first time again. The series has proven that it really can go anywhere and do anything and a reboot is not necessary for a dramtic shift in narrative or tone or even gameplay. They've done all of that before. But a reboot could provide a chance for them to go back to those characters from the start and give them new life. I sometimes wonder what it'd be like if, instead of her being in S.T.A.R.S. and him being a rookie cop, Jill and Leon were partners in the RPD. I sometimes wonder what it'd be like if Rebecca or Barry played a bigger role or if Umbrella wasn't completely filled with evil madmen. Sometimes I wonder what it'd be like if the T-Virus outbreak was an accident, as in, Umbrella themselves had no idea what it would do. All of these differences could send the series on drastically different paths than the one we know and for that reason I would be thrilled by confirmation of a reboot. But is one necessary? No, not by a long shot. If Resident Evil was to become 'open-world' or if it become much more focused on horror then there's no reason why it couldn't just do it now. So bring on the future, I'm in the marvellous position where I'll be made up no matter what they do :D

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
A reboot isn't necessary at all for the Resident Evil series. It's stuck in limbo between staying in the dead survival-horror area and advancing to the more alive, action-oriented genre. Resident Evil 6 was testament to this; whether I like it or not, the game really was a mess as far as story is concerned, and the feel constantly shifted between forced shock (which, by the way, was largely ineffective) and the action feel of, say, Call of Duty.

All Cashcom needs to do is release a game with the atmosphere and restricted feel of Revelations, but a more fluid version of 6's controls. That being said, please do not reboot the plot/setting just yet. Chris' story is all but done, but we're forgetting two very endearing characters: Rebecca Chambers and Barry Burton. I do not believe their stories are done, not just yet. And although C may be joking, I have to affirm that Rebecca is not in jail. :I

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Looks like there won't be a reboot: Resident Evil Producer: It'd Be "Very Difficult" to Go Back to Series' Roots - PlayStation 3 News At PS3Trophies.org

Oh well, I didn't want one anyway. I find unnecessary at this point to reboot. There's been no closure with any of the characters, and it seems like they're (Capcom) set on this type of genre/gameplay. I think they'll remake games like RE2 in the future, but I don't think Capcom will push the "reboot" button anytime soon.

Very difficult, not impossible. Plus, that just sounds like someone else' opinion on the matter. At this point, a reboot is still just a possibility. He's speaking as if "going back to the series' roots" means, literally making the games like they used to be. I highly doubt that was the case, as Revelations can even be considered a return to form. It was the closest to survival horror the series has come to in years. According to Capcom, we'll have to wait and see how well Revelations does on consoles, to determine the direction the series heads.

As for my thoughts of a reboot... I can't really say. Resident Evil is in a very tough spot right now. Resident Evil 6 didn't really do much for the series, but introduce a lame *** character who is being viewed as the future of the series. Jake looks like your typical western video game hero, with the shaved head, ridiculous combat, and tough attitude. That's not the direction a series like Resident Evil should go in. Capcom probably understands this, so I'm sure that's their reasoning for trying to rethink its current position. The main characters are aging, the story is one giant mess, and I don't think survival horror can even hold the series together anymore. Going back to the series' roots at this point, sounds like a terrible idea. Unless Resident Evil 7 starts with Jake's funeral... and they go back to telling relevant stories with great characters.

A reboot on the other hand, can be both a good or a bad thing. There was mention of starting from scratch and even ridding the series of its iconic characters. I think we can all agree when I say that a major part of what makes Resident Evil what it is, are its characters. In the series alone, you have at least 4 iconic characters with Jill Valentine, Albert Wesker, Leon S. Kennedy, and Chris Redfield. Even if Capcom chooses to keep them, they can still ruin the characters' legacies just like they did with Dante in DmC. We're talking about anything from physical appearance to actual character.

What I'd like to see from a reboot, is an evolved survival horror experience with the right blend of action, and co-op that doesn't take away from the horror and vulnerability of the players. I'd like for Capcom to follow the original story for at least the first few games, with no major gaps between games. Doing this will give Capcom a chance to reintroduce famous characters and events the franchise is known for, in a far more effective and meaningful way, without so much time passing within a couple of games. This way, the fans still get to enjoy the characters and stories they adored for so many years, just this time, we get to actually understand them a lot more.

In either case, things could work out. I just don't trust Capcom to do the right thing.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I don't see why there would need to be a reboot of any sort. They brought back the horror elements in Revelations, after all. They just dropped/failed to execute them properly in 6.

Although a reboot would effectively mean 6 never happened. ...But then 2 would have never happened, either, and Raccoon City is iconic...

Eh. No reboot is necessary no matter what. Capcom just needs to stop doing whatever drugs they're doing and get Resident Evil back on track (i.e. keep doing what they did in Revelations).

I think Resident Evil needs some kind of change, they've been trying to recreate the feel of 4 for too long and need something new. Resident Evil 5 was awful and I only played the demo for 6 but I didn't like that either.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I think Resident Evil needs some kind of change, they've been trying to recreate the feel of 4 for too long and need something new. Resident Evil 5 was awful and I only played the demo for 6 but I didn't like that either.

If 5 was awful, then that says a lot about RE4...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom