• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Perfect Visual Comedy

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
pirates-7.jpg
I haven't been thinking about it long, but this strikes me as possibly the most perfectly comedic non-vocal scene in modern filmdom. The close-up of Sparrow's stoic face, the swelling music, the impeccable timing, everything was perfect. I'm sure there are plenty of other perfect non-vocal comedic moments in film, what are they?

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Atkinson is a great physical comedian, no doubt. I haven't watched any Chaplin save for a few clips but I know he had a great reputation for physical comedy. I'm a big fan of the Stooges and Monty Python's Flying Circus but I'm still going to say that the surrounding context of Sparrow's entrance makes it more perfect. The movie was so genuine and sincere, as opposed to like the MCU and other comedies these days that rely so heavily on satire for comedy. The dinghy sinking wasn't a gag scenario Sparrow was dropped into, it was internally consistent and showed us who he was within the context of the movie. If the movie had been a self-aware comedy (like Python), it could have been a great scene but the juxtaposition of an absurd coincidence being dealt with in an internally consistent, serious manner, gave the scene it's salt.

Bean: The Movie was fantastic, by the way. Anyone who hasn't yet seen it needs to check it out if you can deal with dry physical comedy. Atkinson was awesome in the remake of Rat Race too, one of the most 90's movies you'll ever see.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
You're right that visual comedy in American media is largely dead nowadays. Afaik it's still well and alive in British comedy but for the most part our comedy lately is verbal or situational which makes me sad

I do want to shout out Scott pilgrim vs the world for actually having really good visual comedy and I'd use it as one of the best modern examples of visual comedy

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Bean: The Movie was fantastic, by the way. Anyone who hasn't yet seen it needs to check it out if you can deal with dry physical comedy. Atkinson was awesome in the remake of Rat Race too, one of the most 90's movies you'll ever see.

Which of the movies? I assume you mean the first one. I think they're both great, but I have a closer relationship with the second one, Mr. Bean's Holiday, as I saw it in theaters.
The part when he is doing different dances to earn money for bus tickets, just in reaction to what random songs that are playing is amazing

Reactions: Dio

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
View attachment 58542
I haven't been thinking about it long, but this strikes me as possibly the most perfectly comedic non-vocal scene in modern filmdom. The close-up of Sparrow's stoic face, the swelling music, the impeccable timing, everything was perfect. I'm sure there are plenty of other perfect non-vocal comedic moments in film, what are they?
Ever since this thread was posted I've been trying to think of a better example of visual comedy than this and literally cannot. I quit. Give Jack a medal.

Everything Everywhere All At Once has great visual comedy throughout. The rocks especially.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Ever since this thread was posted I've been trying to think of a better example of visual comedy than this and literally cannot. I quit. Give Jack a medal.
When writing this, I had in mind The Ministry of Silly Walks which is also great physical comedy but I still can't say the physicality is as funny as Sparrow, it's intentionally way over the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom