• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Oversexualized Samus

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
And I'm irritated with people crying out sexism when it's not even there. Seriously, so many people are way too sensitive when it comes to these kinds of situations, especially when gaming is involved. If you want a truly sexualized female character, look no further than Bayonetta.

Well said. If anything, people calling out over-sexualisation about this one are the ones in the wrong.

Nothing Samus does is 'sexual'. Like JJ said, there are lots of things Bayonetta does that are purposely alluring and sexual in their nature, whether that's right or wrong is another topic entirely, but Samus doesn't do that. Other females characters do, camera angles purposely flash some skin or arse or something of that ilk, in movies this happens too, and TV, but this doesn't happen in the Smash Bros. People need to keep in mind that these camera angles and screenshots are user manipulated and therefore aren't representative of how Nintendo as a whole wishes to portray Samus within the game. The game itself won't be zooming in like this, nor are these screenshots the main type of advertisement for the game. I mean, you could take lots of freeze-frames of character animations and say it's a sexy pose but we don't say that do we because a) that'd be stupid, and b) unlike Bayonetta, the animation is not designed to be sexual. So if 1 or 2 frames of it happen to look perhaps slightly sexual, it's not exactly the animators fault and somehow proof that she is being over-sexualised on purpose. Regardless, I don't think any of the screenshots posted are like that at all anyway, so arguing against a baseless point.

The only 'sexual' thing people see is the female form, and that's why the people trying to condemn this are in turn the ones in the wrong and being the insulting ones, as far as I'm concerned. Is it over-sexualisation just to have breasts? Should all videogame females have to hide them away? No, cos that'd be wrong, it's a part of a female's anatomy and not exactly an entire gender's fault they are sexually stimulating to people. And should all females be banned from wearing any kind of tight clothing, yet Snake, Raiden and other male characters can bounce around in them all they like? No, cos that'd also be wrong. Do people think any female with a figure like Samus' is just a walking ball of sexualisation too, in real life? I would hope not. And if you don't think that in real life, why would you now apply that thought to a videogame? Olympic gymnasts wear less clothing than what Samus is wearing right now, they also do a lot of the poses that she's doing too. Are they over-sexualised? Again, no, they aren't.

Bottom line is it isn't wrong for a female videogame character to be good-looking, and nor is it sexualisation, and especially not over-sexualisation, for a female simply to be attractive and have a nice body, and not to hide this all away like it's wrong to have these things. Samus has a nice body, yes, but simply the act of having that is not inherently suggestive and over-sexualised. Saying otherwise is just objectifying the female form as nothing but sexual in and of itself.

Last edited:

キラ

Yo!
So...she's a woman with big breasts, so that's autmoatically suggestive? No, wait, its the fact that she's showing them off, THAT'S suggestive? She's not though. Yes, skin tight outfit, whatever, its still covered and not exposed. If, at some point in the game, she were to zip it down, rip it off, or if it became tattered in battles, then I would find that sexually suggestive. A woman having "big tatas" does not make her sexually suggestive. And I'm sure children have seen bigger boobs in real life, on TV, or in movies, and I'm sure they haven't been traumatized after seeing them.

I think it's a bit suggestive, just a tiny bit. The character designers could have given her smaller breasts, but they didn't. Having skin-tight clothes shows off your curves and many women in real life wear skin-tight clothes to show off their curves. And I don't think kids would be traumatized at all and I would let my kids still play Smash Bros cause it's not a huge deal but... the suggestive content is there.

Not saying that her skin-tight outfit doesn't serve a purpose though.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think it's a bit suggestive, just a tiny bit. The character designers could have given her smaller breasts, but they didn't.

It's official, everyone. Being blessed with nice attributes is inherently suggestive. As such, it should be a law that designers of spin-off titles should alter these attributes even if it creates an inaccurate model of the character.

キラ

Yo!
It's official, everyone. Being blessed with nice attributes is inherently suggestive. As such, it should be a law that designers of spin-off titles should alter these attributes even if it creates an inaccurate model of the character.

While I really do not have a problem with how Samus looks, big breasts aren't necessary. Character designers should design characters how they want to. If they want Samus to be sexy, that's perfectly fine with me. Teehee

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Hmmm I never played the game so I read this topic as a neutral person without any opinion at all. I don't see anything wrong with the pics. Okay the boobs are clearly visible. But not in a way I think it is material to be worried about. It is just a game character and I personally don't really pay attention to it. When I look at some female Pokemon characters they are dressed in very short skirts and a bit skimpy outfits too. But it is all a game. I think it is just done to make a game look more modern instead of oldfashioned. But again I don't know if my two cents are worth anything because I don't know this game

Chiraku

Demon slayer
SamusHeels.jpg
Lol, though seriously.
Fact of the matter is, Samus looks pretty, and she only looks too pretty if you let her be. She's not showing skin, and she certainly doesn't... do what Team Ninja could have made her done.
She's A-Ok. Anything else is just a double-standard thing.

LilyPadGeek

Some Weird Person
Can a girl not have a body without being oversexualized? Yes, I know, she's an animated character so it's not really "just her body" or whatever, but I think Nintendo is trying to show that a girl can be strong as well as being very feminine and good-looking. If you think she is sexualized, the chances are that you are probably seeing her that way by yourself.

Vanitas Remnant

You've done it, Ventus.
Iowa, or Hell. They're both the same thing.
I don't think she's oversexualized at all. So she has heels. They aren't just for show, though, they give her powered up kicks and she has a better recovery. I mean, would they rather have her in big, clunky boots instead? It wouldn't match the outfit and it'd just look off.

My 2 cents, anyway.

Fig

The Altruist
I honestly get frustrated when people say [Zero Suit] Samus is being oversexualized in the latest installment of the Super Smash Bros. series. I really don't see how adding boots, jet boots mind you, can make Samus sexual towards the Smash community and gaming audience in general. It's not like the boots are meant to be appeal to the eye, they have a combat reason behind it! Why can't people see that? When I found out that Zero Suit Samus was in the game, I was excited because she looks much better than she did in Brawl in terms of play style. I wasn't thinking about the boots in an appealing manner, but rather at the technical level. She finally has an amazing recovery move! Is it wrong that I view Samus with this mindset. I'm sorry but I think the people who are having the mentality that Samus is being oversexualized are probably the only ones who see it like it. I believe both Gaijin Goomba and Kirbopher have perfectly stated that what I'm trying to say as they do explain it better plus give their own opinions about this matter.

[video=youtube;fA7PHtpzSFQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA7PHtpzSFQ[/video]
[video=youtube;2yCtT4ZvgiU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yCtT4ZvgiU&list=UUKnUnMncnZ7zHxtxBNzdvaA[/video]

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
No, the decision to have Samus in the Zero Suit lies entirely in the domain of using sex to sell a product. Look back up at those pictures Vergo posted. Two of them feature Samus in a position with her back to the camera, but her body contorted so that her chest is also facing the camera. The other features Samus bent over in a strangely contorted pose. Sure, she may not always be like this in game. But this is the way her appearance is being marketed. It's turning a powerful female character into a sex object to move copies of a product. Disgusting.

Can characters be attractive? Absolutely. There is nothing wrong with having attractive characters, male or female. And perhaps oversexualization is the wrong word. But the existence of more egregious examples (Soul Calibur was mentioned, fairly) does not make this instance of it acceptable.

EDIT: Oh wow, as I was posting this, Ghost posted a few more screenshots that show Zero Suit Samus in even more sexualized positions. Yuck.

Oh you one of those guys who act's like Samus has lost her virginity cause the game industry tainted her by giving her more sex appeal huh? Or uuhmm...(how do i put this subtle in a non offensive way)...dislike beautiful women? I mean all I'm reading is "unacceptable, disgusting, yuck!"

Yes there are games and characters that use sex to sell a product. For example Dead or Alive, Killer is Dead, Bayonetta (but damn besides them curves, you gotta love her personality too)

But since when is Metroid one of them? Sure Samus gained some bigger boobs and upgraded her curves, yes it's fan service. You have games and characters that make a selling point out of sex and fan service. And you have games that actualy give you a "fan service" you know, a service...for fans...to please fans...

I mean this isn't even a Metroid game to start with. Why no one complain about about Princess Peach or Princess Zelda? For every male here who denies that tried to view an "upskirt" is a liar. Does that make Zelda and Mario games oversexualized too? It not like Link or Mario will bowchikawowow the princess after saving them and actualy use sex as a selling point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom