• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The original game was a Minish sized adventure.

Based on how the Eastern coastline, and Zora domain, in Breath of the wild, lines up with the Western landmass in Zelda 2, and how small the map of the original is based on its placement in the Zelda 2 map; the original game takes place in a rather small location. (Yes, I am saying that the Zelda 2 palace, in the middle of a small lake/mote, is Zora in origin.) Here is an old map I made, a few years back, for anyone not familiar with my old topic:

bJXN91L.png

There are two solutions to the size issue, that I can think of.

One, is that Link was literally shrunk down for the whole adventure, and the old men we see are actually Minish.

The other, is that even Breath of the wild is small in scope. There was a video I watched, a while back, where the in game units were used to measure the heights of the mountains, which came out a little small. Of course, we all know that the day-night cycle is very fast. 1 hour per minute. If the travel time for the distance is what is accurate, not the in game measurement, I can guess that all distance measurements would be more accurately measured at 60 times. One in game meter is actually 60 meters (60 minutes pr hour). This is just quick math, but it may be enough to allow the original to be closer to 1 to 1. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to work out all the math, and pace it out in game, again, So I invite everyone to make your own comparisons, keeping erosion in mind, and let me know what you think.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I went to the area in botw you highlighted and compared it to the map of zelda one. Compared to the map of botw it's a teeny tiny area, but realistically it's not a bed size. It doesnt take og link more than a few seconds to walk past it, so I dont see why the same can't apply in botw. I also noticed that there's one central stony hill towards the north of the area and the rest is rocky hills with fairly little vegetation. There are certain geographical changes that could result in this, such as if the hill was the main mountain we see in zelda 1 there could have been some form of rock slide filling the caverns and breaking down the mountain. Another option accounting for size would be if part of the shoreline had sunk with time, but by that point there would be little indicating it's the same area.

I agree that there is little to go on, if we compare the two games directly. There are some basic shapes that could have remained such as the central lake being part of the shoreline, now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom