• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda The One Handheld Title That Should Have Been a Home Console Instalment

Zelda has more than enough handheld titles, and while LoZ, AoL and ALttP and even OoT were all home console games at some point they can be played on handhelds as if they were never designed for the big home screens....

But with Zelda having so many titles assigned to handhelds, which is the one handheld instalment that should have been a home console release?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
OoT3D should've been OoTHD but failing that, I personally believe that Spirit Tracks would have excelled on many levels were it a non-gimmicky, home console installment. My reasoning for it is as follows:
- HD Graphics instead of the horribly anti-aliased, pixelly stuff we got.
- A much bigger world. I don't know about you but I felt ST was comparatively small.
- Perhaps a better point of view; the 2.5D did not seem to blend well with what I knew. I'd argue that the game would've been leaps and bounds ahead were it properly 3D.
- Better sound output (just because of technical capabilities)
- More engaging to the general player BECAUSE touch screen wouldn't be used. Thisessentially means better controls, although I don't have too many problems with ST's controls.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I love all the handheld Zelda games, and love that they're handheld.

However, The Minish Cap has always felt like a console title to me, so if I could pluck one handheld Zelda from its system and increase the resolution, that would be it.

Also, Spirit Tracks is ambitious in its scope and design, and I feel like console graphics would have spiced up the world. I wouldn't change anything about the gameplay apart from adapting the controls to consoles, though.

D

dotngtrtech

Agreed, Minish Cap would have made an excellent home console release.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Yup I would also say the Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks...

The Minish Cap- I think this the overworld if based off a 3D format would have looked amazing as well it would be interesting to see what way the graphical style would look on a larger screen.

Spirit Tracks- Even though I rate this game to be one of the worst in the series I felt that a lot of that was because it felt like I was comparing it too much towards PH and imo it just didn't live up, so maybe if we saw this on a home console ina similar graphical style to WW it would have made the game stand out to be more unique. Also I think Spirit Tracks really had some potential as far as story goes and discovering New Hyrule is a pretty big deal so I think that in a way the DS control's as well as the limitations could have held the game back in that respect.

Last edited:

sailormars109

Finding Love by the Moon
I would love to see Spirit Tracks on a home console. I think this game was adorable like Wind Waker was and I greatly enjoyed its story. I think the graphics would look pretty good in HD on my TV as well :)

The way they used Zelda as a helper was nice as well. It reminded me a little of the way Midna was used to help you in Twilight Princess.

The music for Spirit Tracks was also very catchy in my opinion. Plus, the use of the Spirit Flute to get further in the game was magnificent, imo.

It would have been a real treat to have had the game on a bigger screen than sitting there hunched over on a bus of kids so loud that you couldn't even hear anything and having the setting lighting always changing to where it made it hard to see the game. But maybe this is just me complaining.

I agree with Hanyou and justacOOlguy. Both The Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks have the high production values of a console installments. Nintendo probably created them as handheld games because the developers thought they were too short to be released for a home console. In the case of The Minish Cap, Nintendo has refused to release a 2D Zelda game for a console since Ocarina of Time ushered in 3D adventuring.

Fortunately, we'll be able to experience The Minish Cap on the big screen in due time since the Wii U Virtual Console will feature GBA games.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Agreeing with Minish Cap, that one really could have been so much more immense with the extra space a console could give.

And I think someone mentioned Spirit Tracks? Yes to that as well. If nothing else they'd have cut out the gimmicks, which effectively killed the game for me.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
When taken in context, Link's Awakening looks like the ideal choice. We got six whole years between ALTTP and OoT. Link's Awakening could have been ported to the SNES during the meantime. With spruced up colors and better graphics, it could have been enjoyed by fans during the wait for the big one. It also could have been an excellent addition to attract new fans after ALTTP had been out for a few years. LA is highly underrated, and anyone who's played it must realize how great a SNES version would have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom