• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Official Skyward Sword Reviews by You

MonkeyFightSquad

*LAUGHS EVILLY*
this is the oficial thread where YOU post reviews for skyward sword.for those who have the game can post reviews.

people who dont have the game please dont post reviews

First off, I'm not going to post a numeric score, seeing how people tend to rely too much on them. That said, let's begin typing this wall of text.

Skyward Sword is truly an amazing achievement. We have been waiting for five long years for this title, and what we got (are about to get) is a game that will be remembered. Remembered as a redeeming turning point for the series as a whole, as well as the epic origin story every Zelda fan has been dying to discover. It succeeds in almost every criterion, making it a near-perfect experience (and trust me, I don't say that lightly).

There's so much to say, and seeing how I don't have any experience in reviewing a game, I'll just try my best to express my thoughts.

The motion controls do work well and are so much fun. There will be a few times in the game, however, where Link simply won't stab or swing his sword in the direction you want. This may be due to calibrating issues or not, I don't exactly know, but suffice to say that it's frustrating all the same. Other than that, I sure hope that motion controls will be continued and expanded on in future titles.

The story is downright epic. It is THE legend of Zelda and THE adventure of Link, while other NPC's still manage in a truly heartfelt way to turn the spotlight on them at times. It is a fairly simple tale, but told in such a powerful manner that this doesn't matter at all. It is easily one if not the best stories of any Zelda game thus far and will be very hard to succeed by future titles.

The most important aspect of the game, the actual game world, shines. The moment you control Link for the first time and breeze through that lively town of Skyloft is truly spectacular. I did feel home there very quickly and always enjoyed coming back and talking to all those fleshed-out townsfolk. But that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the vast land of Hyrule down below. In the contrary, I have much praise for the three land parts and especially the dungeons in them. Although the path through the areas is rather linear, there's so much content and story-related changes filled into every inch that you will not grow tired by adventuring through the same area more than once.
The dungeons are easily amongst the best of all Zelda games thus far. I even think that some of them may be considered THE best and most innovative dungeons ever. While not fairly difficult or lenghty, they do require you to think your way through them. The puzzles are cleverer than ever, making it so much fun to try and figure them out. The bosses are well thought-out, and especially the one of the fourth dungeon is easily the best one thus far. I actually felt very tense while battling them.

By reading other reviews one might think that the music doesn't quite live up to previous Zelda titles, resulting in a slight degradation. I don't think so at all. There is a fair amount of memorable themes (Fi, Main Theme, Sky, Credits, Boss Battle Theme, Mini Boss Theme, Skyview Temple, Ghirahim, Lanayru Desert to name a few) that every new console Zelda game needs to introduce, as well as orchestrated "story-supporting" tunes that make me shiver every time I hear them. The musical instrument however is pretty useless compared to Ocarina of Time or the Wind Waker, save for some side-quests and item refillment. Almost all of the songs played on it are mediocre at best.

While there is some great character development going on, I was rather disappointed by Fi's role. Without spoiling much I must say that I envisioned a more memorable relationship between Link and Fi, as well as a more emotional ending to it. Rest assured that there's plenty of other people stating that they were crying and deeply touched by Fi's story arc, so this really is subjective.

Skyward Sword is my favorite Zelda game as of now, which doesn't really say much seeing how I'm still processing the whole experience in these after-hours. But I really don't think my opinion on the game will change much. It is bound to be the greatest Zelda game ever, and at least for me, that is already true.

I think that's it for now. Maybe I'll edit some more opinions into the text later on. For now, I hope you enjoyed this little review and don't mind if I haven't sounded as excited about the game as I undoubtedly am as I'm writing this!

Last edited:
First off, I'm not going to post a numeric score, seeing how people tend to rely too much on them. That said, let's begin typing this wall of text.

Skyward Sword is truly an amazing achievement. We have been waiting for five long years for this title, and what we got (are about to get) is a game that will be remembered. Remembered as a redeeming turning point for the series as a whole, as well as the epic origin story every Zelda fan has been dying to discover. It succeeds in almost every criterion, making it a near-perfect experience (and trust me, I don't say that lightly).

There's so much to say, and seeing how I don't have any experience in reviewing a game, I'll just try my best to express my thoughts.

The motion controls do work well and are so much fun. There will be a few times in the game, however, where Link simply won't stab or swing his sword in the direction you want. This may be due to calibrating issues or not, I don't exactly know, but suffice to say that it's frustrating all the same. Other than that, I sure hope that motion controls will be continued and expanded on in future titles.

The story is downright epic. It is THE legend of Zelda and THE adventure of Link, while other NPC's still manage in a truly heartfelt way to turn the spotlight on them at times. It is a fairly simple tale, but told in such a powerful manner that this doesn't matter at all. It is easily one if not the best stories of any Zelda game thus far and will be very hard to succeed by future titles.

The most important aspect of the game, the actual game world, shines. The moment you control Link for the first time and breeze through that lively town of Skyloft is truly spectacular. I did feel home there very quickly and always enjoyed coming back and talking to all those fleshed-out townsfolk. But that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the vast land of Hyrule down below. In the contrary, I have much praise for the three land parts and especially the dungeons in them. Although the path through the areas is rather linear, there's so much content and story-related changes filled into every inch that you will not grow tired by adventuring through the same area more than once.
The dungeons are easily amongst the best of all Zelda games thus far. I even think that some of them may be considered THE best and most innovative dungeons ever. While not fairly difficult or lenghty, they do require you to think your way through them. The puzzles are cleverer than ever, making it so much fun to try and figure them out. The bosses are well thought-out, and especially the one of the fourth dungeon is easily the best one thus far. I actually felt very tense while battling them.

By reading other reviews one might think that the music doesn't quite live up to previous Zelda titles, resulting in a slight degradation. I don't think so at all. There is a fair amount of memorable themes (Fi, Main Theme, Sky, Credits, Boss Battle Theme, Mini Boss Theme, Skyview Temple, Ghirahim, Lanayru Desert to name a few) that every new console Zelda game needs to introduce, as well as orchestrated "story-supporting" tunes that make me shiver every time I hear them. The musical instrument however is pretty useless compared to Ocarina of Time or the Wind Waker, save for some side-quests and item refillment. Almost all of the songs played on it are mediocre at best.

While there is some great character development going on, I was rather disappointed by Fi's role. Without spoiling much I must say that I envisioned a more memorable relationship between Link and Fi, as well as a more emotional ending to it. Rest assured that there's plenty of other people stating that they were crying and deeply touched by Fi's story arc, so this really is subjective.

Skyward Sword is my favorite Zelda game as of now, which doesn't really say much seeing how I'm still processing the whole experience in these after-hours. But I really don't think my opinion on the game will change much. It is bound to be the greatest Zelda game ever, and at least for me, that is already true.

I think that's it for now. Maybe I'll edit some more opinions into the text later on. For now, I hope you enjoyed this little review and don't mind if I haven't sounded as excited about the game as I undoubtedly am as I'm writing this!
thanks dude, i really needed to hear a good review from a Zelda fan and not from some critic.
this review and the ZI review finally got me hyped again! its a shame abut the Harp thou, it had such great potential.
what was your favorite dungeon? ( from the ones we know of?)

thanks dude, i really needed to hear a good review from a Zelda fan and not from some critic.
this review and the ZI review finally got me hyped again! its a shame abut the Harp thou, it had such great potential.
what was your favorite dungeon? ( from the ones we know of?)

You're very welcome!

I think that would be the Lanayru Mining Facility. It introduces a very innovative gameplay element, which is even tied to the story itself and is just pure fun! Also, the last one is literally nicely laid out :P.

I'm not very proficient in english and in the other hand there's SO MUCH to talk about this. So I'll leave some bullet points of my opinion about the game so far (I'm 12:30 into the game, almost entering the 3rd dungeon).

-Best level design ever in a game. The dungeon-like overworld is amazing. Puzzling yet expansive and pretty. Puzzles are MUCH more creative than in previous entries.
-Soundtrack second only to OoT.
-Excellent NPC work. The best in the series in visuals. You can distinct each one from a mile away (except Kiwiks), and all of them look very cool or funny or cute looking up close (and not only Skyloftians).
-Great start, good character and world presentation. The sequence of events until Zelda is gone feels very natural.
-Great cutscenes and plot development. I shad a tear at the end of the second dungeon.
-Fi is great and useful too, and she is not annoying. Has some remarkable moments.
-The travel system is PERFECT. Going back from any point in the overworld to the Sky and back to the overworld is like a breeze, and it doesn't feel like cheating (like the warp in previous) since it's the only way to get around.
-I love the save system. There are save points every corner.
-The Beedle Airshop is one of the most charismatic things in the series.
-So far the game is not hard, once you truly understand how the controls work. But it is tough enough to keep you worried. Sometimes I feel that if they just have sprinkled some more foes, the game would be even better.
-The item system is great too, adds a lot of depth. Watch out for your upgraded shields, if you broke them they are gone and you'll to buy from level 1. Get a new item pouch feels better than get a new heart container or empty bottle.
-The best economy in the series by a long shot.
-Bug catching blends amazingly into the game. It doesn't metter where you're, you can always find cool bugs and choose to run after it or not. Each species has it's own simple behavior. Allied with the materials hunting it is by a long shot, the best collecting in the series.
-So far there hasn't been much mini-games or side-quests with distinct mini-games/mechanics.
-Sky exploration so far is very light, when compared to The Great Sea or TPs Hyrule Field. It consists basically of descending on small islands where there are unlocked godess chests. Feels somewhat shallow and streamlined, I hope it gets a little thicker later on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom