• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The ocarina of time (whats it made of)

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
I'm not seeing strong evidence for either side of this argument. I think it is a creative spot though! It would help if we knew more about timeshift stones. That would help us compare the proporties of both objects. My personal opinion now is no. The Ocarina gets its most of its power through the songs it plays (remember Flat and Sharp in OoT who were looking for magical songs?). Besides, color dosen't matter, Ever heard of spray-paint? :)

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
realy, spray-paint? Do you realy think that thay had spray-paint, and do you think that anyone smater than a octorok would PAINT IT?!?

Well considering that the empty bottles Link has can somehow fit objects as large as deluge Princesses in them, I don't see how spray paint would be impossible in the Zelda verse. Personally, I think hand painting the ocarina would make more sense but, In conclusion, the ocarina's color shouldn't have anything to do with its origin, as if could've been easily painted.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I used this idea (as seen in the first post) in one of my fan fictions - well, more like, it's vaugely hinted at.

My theory as seen in one of my stories is as follows: The Timeshift Stones, or Chronolites, if you will, in a raw state or in a lightly-refined state are what are seen in Skyward Sword and have limited time-shifting capabilities. Refined fully, however - cut and polished lovingly like fine diamond - Chronolite becomes more stable, is a darker shade of blue, and, particularly when made subject to the touch of a divine being, such as the Old Gods or the Goddess, can be made into great holy things like Time Gates and even, possibly, "musical instruments upon which one can play Time."

I don't think Nintendo had the Timeshift Stones in mind when making OoT, but it's a fun theory in retrospective. Though Nintendo may have actually been thinking of another thing: Blue Shift.

I was talking to my guy while playing Skwyard and making note of the Time Gate "Why is the color of Time always blue in fiction?" Being a science fiction writer and science-geek, that launched us into a disscussion of astrophysics. I kid you not. Sometimes we have random science conversations... He started talking about the Red Shift and Blue Shift in stars - if I remember correctly, Red is Time coming toward you and Blue is time moving away.

So, when you're playing Zelda and you see everything Time-related as blue? There's a reason!

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Most ocarinas back in medieval times consisted of polished, hollowed-out rocks, and took hours to make. It seems likely that the Ocarina of Time is no exception. However, other plausible materials include bone, polished wood, and cheap metal.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
We can kind of assume it's not just cheap metal or rock, that leaves us a certain mineral (Timeshift stones?), polished wood (From a relevant enough tree of course), the bone of an (ancient) beast, or something like, personally I think the devs decided to use the same color scheme of the ocarina to retcon it's origins

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I don't think that the ocarina could be made of timeshift stones because it is a different color and can't change time, just bring a small area into what is used to be when the timeshift stone was placed there. I think that the ocarina was given to the royal family by the goddesses in foresight to the events of OoT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom