• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Nostalgia Generation?

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Hello there everyone. Another thing has been on my mind that I would like to discuss with others.

Recently I have noticed, in a lot of forms of media, there has been a lot of reliance on Nostalgia to pull in viewers.

In movies, at least in the big blockbuster type movies, I see mostly sequels and remakes. For example, I went to the theaters just the other day, and saw the trailers for upcoming movies. The movies I saw trailers for:

Annie, the American remake of the original film, which was an adaptation of a Broadway musical
Planes: Fire & Rescue. A sequel to the Planes movies, which were a spinoff of the Cars franchise. Cuz everyone loved Cars that much. :dry:
A New Wizard of Oz movie...cuz that's never been done before.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Michael Bay explosions edition.
Transformers 4: Another Transformers movie...

Now, are these the only movies that are going to be in theaters? Of course not! There are also some original movies coming into light as well. Oculus is one that actually seems very interesting to me. But let's move onto the next point:

Nintendo. Ah yeah, we all (well, most of us anyways :P) love Nintendo around here. And I got nothing wrong with Nintendo making new Mario, Zelda and Kirby games...but...can we get some new Nintendo originals? The last original characters I remember from Nintendo were Pikmin...and that was a while ago, back in the Gamecube era.

Now, don't take that the wrong way, I still loves me some Nintendo...but I think a part of the problem is that they are banking on Nostalgia WAY too much these days. With a game like Yoshi's New Island, which relied completely on Nostalgia, and even a game like ALBW, which relied heavily on ALttP nostalgia. Is that a bad thing? Well...no. But I feel as if its just another way we are getting taken advantage of these days, in terms of what we used to love.

For some reason, with all the iterations on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the return of certain cartoons like PowerPuff Girls and that...God awful mess of Teen Titans Go!...I feel as if producers these days are relying less on interesting, creative and new ideas and more on characters we used to know and love...

But hell, I may be completely wrong on this. But this is the way I see it: 70s was the hippie peace and love era, 80s was Disco, Hair Metal and bright neon colors, 90s was grunge and flannel...so what are we? The Nostalgia Age? Now rend my opinion to pieces!

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Well you got it ALMOST right. 60's were hippies, 70's was Disco and 80's was Synthesizer pop. I know because I'm a child of the 70's :P I must admit lately we all hear about remakes and being taken back in time. Maybe because ideas are getting less and less and people look back to get some inspiration to make a fresh start again

sailormars109

Finding Love by the Moon
Hmmm. I wouldn't necessarily call this age nostalgic. I would just call it remembering. Seeing as there hasn't been many good things going on in the last 150 years in the world really. By good I mean peaceful. Someone was always at war or using some form of torture against each other. I would just call this age... bouncing back. Recovering.

To me, Planes was just a newer generation of Cars. A lot of baby and little kid things have to do with planes now; whereas, in my generation cars were cool.

A lot of remakes are so the newer generations will either understand it better or because the newer generations want a remake.

For The Wizard of Oz remake.... If you're talking about Oz, that's not a remake. That's a prequel almost to The Wizard of Oz.

I do admit I am very nostalgic as I tend to only watch Boomerang which is a channel that has a bunch of old cartoons on it anymore and usually I say that I wish I was little again, but just because we do that doesn't mean we are the age of nostalgia.

I actually agree with you. Nostalgia has always been my biggest weakness, so from my point of view it makes sense to be drawn to these things. But nostalgia is always a little sad, it's about yearning for the past. I think the reason people yearn for the past is because it's wanting what you can't have. They want things that remind them of when they were young and happy to feel young and happy again. Why not feel happy with right now? I agree with you about some new original games. Pikmin was so wonderful and refreshing and unique so something new like that would be awesome.

Dan

Wow. I wasn't even aware Pixar made a planes move...
Dusty.jpg

I'm sure Pixar can work their magic on such a limited concept, but ugh....I can understand toys, bugs and monsters, kids love that ****. Some kids love cars and planes, but there's not much you can apply to those entities that I would find interesting.

ANYWAY, back to the thread at hand, I'd partially agree with you, but hollywood has created remakes and such in the past generations, especially with horrors go figure; Look at the fly, the mummy, Dracula etc, all been remade plenty of times before this generation. You already pointed out video games that continue to be remade.
I was actually quite curious myself just the other day how the last decade is generalised, since we have quite wide distinctions of previous decades.
The last decade which is often referred to as the "naughties", could be defined by perhaps the rise of internet content, such as independent web series, Youtube, social networks and its userbase.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000s_%28decade%29

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Wow. I wasn't even aware Pixar made a planes move...
Dusty.jpg

I'm sure Pixar can work their magic on such a limited concept, but ugh....I can understand toys, bugs and monsters, kids love that ****. Some kids love cars and planes, but there's not much you can apply to those entities that I would find interesting.

ANYWAY, back to the thread at hand, I'd partially agree with you, but hollywood has created remakes and such in the past generations, especially with horrors go figure; Look at the fly, the mummy, Dracula etc, all been remade plenty of times before this generation. You already pointed out video games that continue to be remade.
I was actually quite curious myself just the other day how the last decade is generalised, since we have quite wide distinctions of previous decades.
The last decade which is often referred to as the "naughties", could be defined by perhaps the rise of internet content, such as independent web series, Youtube, social networks and its userbase.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000s_%28decade%29

Wasn't that plane movie a cars movie or something?

Dan

Wasn't that plane movie a cars movie or something?

A spinoff, although I was mistaken thinking Pixar made it,
the film was co-written and executive produced by Pixar's chief creative officer John Lasseter, who directed the Cars films.
Not sure why they keep revisiting that universe considering they know it's one of their weakest franchises, but if that's what Ol'John wants to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom