• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Nintendo Direct News And Discussion Thread

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I didn't like it
it looks like they tried to cram in as much reference to all the mario games as possible and that's just not going to be conducive to good storytelling

maybe I'm just not Passionate About Mario

Honestly, that's my fear. We saw some cool references to the game series, but I'm worried they're going to be cramming too many of them in a too short movie and that the storyline will become a tour of Mario franchises. Show up to the track, point at it, and say, "Look! It's Mario Kart! It's that thing you like!" before moving onto another reference.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
That’s one of the reasons why I’m still cautiously optimistic, though if I had to choose between too many Mario references and not enough I’d certainly go for the former.

I tend towards a better story and movie in lieu of references. I feel like the biggest mistake a video game to movie adaptation can make is trying to ape the experience of playing the game.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I tend towards a better story and movie in lieu of references. I feel like the biggest mistake a video game to movie adaptation can make is trying to ape the experience of playing the game.
Well obviously. I’m saying that if the choice is between a movie with a passible yet generic story with little to no Mario references or a bad story with an over abundance of Mario references, I’d choose the later. If it doesn’t reference the source material at all then why bother even making it a Mario movie?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Well obviously. I’m saying that if the choice is between a movie with a passible yet generic story with little to no Mario references or a bad story with an over abundance of Mario references, I’d choose the later. If it doesn’t reference the source material at all then why bother even making it a Mario movie?

For the sake of a better movie. I consider Arcane and Castlevania to be the best video game adaptations so far, and both of them treat the games at jumping off points. The source material isn't to be ignored, but also shouldn't be looked at as a limitation.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Just watched the new trailer and I still think it looks bad. Mario does just sound like Chris Pratt except for the Wahoo at the end. Charlie Day does a better job at voicing Luigi, but Charlie Day also has a very distinctive voice and it comes through some. I hate Peach's voice. It does not sound fitting at all. Jack Black and Keegan Michael Key are the best voice actors in the movie.

Still not a fan of how it looks either. But that's how every animated movie looks nowadays which is probably why I haven't watched any in years. Lmao. Like Mario is easily transferable as a character to an animated movie but they couldn't even keep him looking the same.

A lot of the trailer seemed to just be references. Which I don't hate as a general thing (I love some good references), but it really depends on if they can actually tie them in or if they just threw them in there for the sake of it.

The funniest part of the trailer was the interaction with Bowser and Luigi. Which I guess isn't too surprising seeing as they're two of the only characters (besides the toads) I really care about from the trailers.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I wasn't going to watch it anyway, but my impressions have been more or less the same from the start of when we got info at all. It just looks decent at best. The voices really kill it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom