• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Nintendo Direct News And Discussion Thread

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
i think its ok to be disappointed with the direction a company is taking and i imagine we've all been there. I think its ok to express that disappointment but i don't think its anything that warrants attacking other people over.
Being too expressive about their disappointment kinda has its limits too, honestly.
We had a similar situation back then with AwdryFan1997 having an exaggerated hate about Pyra/Mythra's reveal for Smash where asking for him to at least tone down was pretty much unanimous due to people getting uncomfortable with how repetitive and inconsiderate of others that negativity was.

Complaining too much about something that other people might be enjoying kinda brings the whole mood down and is pretty toxic if the goal is to make them feel bad for getting something they wanted/liked. And I really don't think it's as comparable as someone being tongue in cheek about someone not getting what they wanted, because it's just a matter of time until those do get something desirable.

Last edited:

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
Being too expressive about their disappointment kinda has its limits too, honestly.
We had a similar situation back then with AwdryFan1997 having an exaggerated hate about Pyra/Mythra's reveal for Smash where asking for him to at least tone down was pretty much unanimous due to people getting uncomfortable due to how repetitive and inconsiderate of others that negativity was.

Complaining too much about something that other people might be enjoying kinda brings the whole mood down and is pretty toxic if the goal is to make them feel bad for getting something they wanted/liked. And I really don't think it's as comparable as someone being tongue in cheek about someone not getting what they wanted, because it's just a matter of time until those do get something desirable.

I don't necessarily think it is just a matter of time and its important to respect other people's disappointment. Nintendo has been a big part of the lives of a lot of the people here and i imagine not getting what they used to out of it can be pretty hard to deal with emotionally, no matter what the reason for that is.

I can agree that negative energy can be a bit of a moodkiller and at a certain point it might be worthwhile for the community to have a discussion about what lines they want to set with regard to that. Arguing with people who are being negative here is just going to make the space feel more negative though. If your goal is to make the space feel more positive then you'll probably have more success bringing up your concerns in a singular place rather than getting into fights wherever people are being negative, which'll just make the problem worse.

This probably isn't the place for this kind of discussion though, so this will be my last post on the topic here.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
How is this a response to anything that I said?
Because... Canceling Xenoblade would not suddenly open up the floodgates for "abandoned" projects such as F-Zero, Kid Icarus, or Golden Sun. Nintendo as it is would suffer without MonolithSoft's technical expertise, which they've used Xenoblade to hone to near perfection just by getting XC3 to run stably on the Switch. Not to mention BotW and every other game they've pitched in on.

If one of Monolith's five studios was given the chance to develop one of those games, then I'd be all for it, but Nintendo has opted to not move forward with any of them, that we know of.

That context literally does not exist.
Yes it sparking does. Take a look at the Twitter or Youtube comments of the XC3 Showcase for a more recent example, or hell even Pythra's Smash reveal.

As I said earlier, you have been spoon fed Xenoblade content after Xenoblade content for years, while other franchises that are just as popular if not more so have gotten nothing on the switch, or in some cases nothing since the GameCube. Xenoblade has literally gotten more support on the Switch than mainline Mario has. Nintendo absolutely has the ability to manage what gets released, regardless of what its developers have been working on. Why should Xenoblade get 2 brand new games, DLC the size of their own games entirely for both of said games, a port of the first game with its own extra content, and a damn smash bros character, meanwhile StarFox has laid completely dormant for 5 years.

Complaining about the amount of support Xenoblade has been getting is more than reasonable, regardless of the game’s quality.
MonolithSoft have been strategic about growing the brand over the last few years. However, this is largely due to Nintendo telling them to only focus on developing Xenoblade as their flagship series. No matter how many projects they presented, each one was turned down. So that there is the sad truth as to why the Switch has 2 brand new games, a port with extra content, DLC the size of the base games, and a damn Smash Bros. rep on top of more stuff coming next year.

That being said, of course I want a new Star Fox game that isn't laden with gimmicky controls or a rehashed premise from 20 years ago. I'd love for there to be a new story campaign with familiar characters and awesome dogfights. But as it stands, the Switch does not have many story-driven first party titles to choose from. Only Monolith has been consistent in providing yearly updates, apart from Pokémon I suppose.

What’ll be funnier is eventually watching the tables turn on the entitled JRPG fans.
The tea here is lovely.

I’m not sure if anyone isn’t aware of how much support Xenoblade has been getting, but Ronin is sure acting like it hasn’t been.
Except that I'm more of the mindset that it's about time Xenoblade has been getting more acknowledgment. Whereas XC2 was like five steps back, each follow up since then has put the series back on the map.

Kirino

Tatakae
Which is why I’m not mad at people who got what they want, I’m mad at the people who got what they want and use that to taunt anyone who dares to complain over the sheer amount of love that one franchise has been getting over all others. There’s being happy that you got something, and then theres being a dick to others because they didn’t.
I don't think anyone's obligated to be happy about it. It's perfectly fine to be disappointed and complain, but when it's constant and involves actively mocking the games as "trash" and things that no one cares about, it comes across as bitter and puts a damper on enjoyment of them. I've also seen some people here mock the actual players of these games as "weebs" or perverts or some other word just for liking them. Not that I'm the type to get offended by it, but given how constant this is every time the existence of a JRPG is so much as mentioned, I hardly think it's a big deal to make a joke or two about wanting more JRPGs, or finding the sheer volume of salt to be kind of funny.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Because... Canceling Xenoblade would not suddenly open up the floodgates for "abandoned" projects such as F-Zero, Kid Icarus, or Golden Sun. Nintendo as it is would suffer without MonolithSoft's technical expertise, which they've used Xenoblade to hone to near perfection just by getting XC3 to run stably on the Switch. Not to mention BotW and every other game they've pitched in on.

If one of Monolith's five studios was given the chance to develop one of those games, then I'd be all for it, but Nintendo has opted to not move forward with any of them, that we know of.
MonolithSoft have been strategic about growing the brand over the last few years. However, this is largely due to Nintendo telling them to only focus on developing Xenoblade as their flagship series. No matter how many projects they presented, each one was turned down. So that there is the sad truth as to why the Switch has 2 brand new games, a port with extra content, DLC the size of the base games, and a damn Smash Bros. rep on top of more stuff coming next year.
But I haven’t blamed Monolith for anything? If anything what you’ve said is just in support of what I’ve been saying about It being Nintendos fault that Xenoblade has gotten so much support while other series haven’t.

Yes it sparking does. Take a look at the Twitter or Youtube comments of the XC3 Showcase for a more recent example, or hell even Pythra's Smash reveal.
You mean the response to when people were first getting fed up with the franchise’s saturation? Nobody was complaining when it was just XC2 or XCDE.

Except that I'm more of the mindset that it's about time Xenoblade has been getting more acknowledgment. Whereas XC2 was like five steps back, each follow up since then has put the series back on the map.
I hate to break it to you, but filling a release schedule with a singular franchise isn’t going to help the public reception all too much, particularly when the same people you’re marketing it towards have been waiting for a handful of games for half a decade.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
To you there was, which is something that I tried to tell you then too. To the vast majority of people, there isn’t a notable difference. That’s not complaining, thats stating a fact.

Lol, that's not fact. Just because you believe it doesn't mean it's true. Splatoon 3 has broken records as the fastest selling video game in Japan's history. Nintendo's stock has risen 5% because of it's Japanese sells. There aren't numbers for how it's done in the US yet, but seeing as Nintendo is a Japanese company, and it has made Nintendo's stock rise, that's pretty huge. I believe one of your arguments was that no one had reason to get 3 if they already had 2 so the numbers would be low. Lmao.

You can't just say something is fact when there's no evidence of it being so. Especially when I pointed out multiple things that proved otherwise. So yeah, it is complaining to ask why a game needed to exist. You expected people to just wait til Nintendo's next console to get Splatoon 3, which would likely be about 10 years after 2's release given what Nintendo has said. And yet you're complaining about Zelda not getting a release yet.

no, but directly wishing the people who are generally split on the issue of franchise and genre oversaturation a direct full of the worst offender and another sore spot certainly is.

No it isn't. Not even close to being assholeish. It sounds ridiculous to call someone an asshole for joking about how people get so upset over a Nintendo direct. And, the original post was likely even agreeing with you that the directs lately have been lacking. So it's even more ridiculous to be bothered by the joke.

Guess what? People ***** about stuff I like too. You don’t see me taunting anyone when something I like gets announced, do you? I never chanted “hoes mad” like a brain dead monkey whenever Steve was announced for Smash. People are allowed to complain about a problem they have with something, and pretending that they’re not or that it justifies taunting them just because that criticism doesn’t effect you is completely selfish.

Guess what? I'm not a fan of those games either and I'd like to see games I actually am a fan of get some news. But I also think it's funny to joke about them because I'm not going to be whiny over things that I hope to get like I deserve it or something. That's what is selfish. It's the internet. If you think some harmless jokes are taunting, assholeish, or selfish then you should maybe grow some thicker skin.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I don't necessarily think it is just a matter of time and its important to respect other people's disappointment. Nintendo has been a big part of the lives of a lot of the people here and i imagine not getting what they used to out of it can be pretty hard to deal with emotionally, no matter what the reason for that is.

I can agree that negative energy can be a bit of a moodkiller and at a certain point it might be worthwhile for the community to have a discussion about what lines they want to set with regard to that. Arguing with people who are being negative here is just going to make the space feel more negative though. If your goal is to make the space feel more positive then you'll probably have more success bringing up your concerns in a singular place rather than getting into fights wherever people are being negative, which'll just make the problem worse.

This probably isn't the place for this kind of discussion though, so this will be my last post on the topic here.
throwing the thread back to its tracks, didya see they revealed an atelier game in the direct? any strong feelings towards it?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
But I haven’t blamed Monolith for anything? If anything what you’ve said is just in support of what I’ve been saying about It being Nintendos fault that Xenoblade has gotten so much support while other series haven’t.
I'm in agreement that Nintendo has the final say, but removing Xenoblade from the equation would not magically make room for a renaissance of older titles. Nintendo has made partnerships with outside developers that proved to be successful; perhaps it's time they started doing that again.

You mean the response to when people were first getting fed up with the franchise’s saturation? Nobody was complaining when it was just XC2 or XCDE.
No, I mean the oversaturation of entitled casuals who would spout generic "weeb game" or "not another hentai" nonsense. XC2 brought on this negative perception that Monolith has steadily been trying to deconstruct, or at least show that the series is more than just fanservice. Which it is.

I hate to break it to you, but filling a release schedule with a singular franchise isn’t going to help the public reception all too much, particularly when the same people you’re marketing it towards have been waiting for a handful of games for half a decade.
Then perhaps these same people should try out a different game in the meantime while they wait, even if it's not their usual cup of Pyra's tea?

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Lol, that's not fact. Just because you believe it doesn't mean it's true. Splatoon 3 has broken records as the fastest selling video game in Japan's history. Nintendo's stock has risen 5% because of it's Japanese sells. There aren't numbers for how it's done in the US yet, but seeing as Nintendo is a Japanese company, and it has made Nintendo's stock rise, that's pretty huge. I believe one of your arguments was that no one had reason to get 3 if they already had 2 so the numbers would be low. Lmao.
Sure, its selling well after the Splatoon direct. That doesn’t change that there was a noticeable amount of the instal base that didn’t know the difference prior. Literally all you have to do to prove this is look at any youtube comment section before the direct was announced.

You can't just say something is fact when there's no evidence of it being so. Especially when I pointed out multiple things that proved otherwise. So yeah, it is complaining to ask why a game needed to exist.
What you said proved almost nothing. It proved that there was enough of a difference for you to notice, and you’re far from the lowest common denominator. Having a legitimate question about what sort of purpose a third game served to people who only casually played the first 2 off and on is not a complaint

You expected people to just wait til Nintendo's next console to get Splatoon 3, which would likely be about 10 years after 2's release given what Nintendo has said. And yet you're complaining about Zelda not getting a release yet.
Right. I didn’t understand what sort of gap in the market a third game in a team-based online shooter franchise served to fill when the last one on the same console was perfectly fine. Thats totally the same thing as a heavily story-based singleplayer open world franchise where it’s readily apparent whats going to be different from the last one just from the knowledge that it’s going to have a new story and world.

It’s the same reason why I don’t want another Mario Maker on switch. The second one is perfectly fine, just update that instead. That’s not me saying that I despise the idea of having two of them on one console, just that I don’t see a reason to completely invalidate the last one by making a bigger and better sequel.

No it isn't. Not even close to being assholeish. It sounds ridiculous to call someone an asshole for joking about how people get so upset over a Nintendo direct. And, the original post was likely even agreeing with you that the directs lately have been lacking. So it's even more ridiculous to be bothered by the joke.

How is that ridiculous? “People care more about something than I do, I’d better joke about how they’re annoyed with it by intentionally wishing them a negative result.”

Excuse me for not understanding that they agree with me when they say the exact opposite.

Guess what? I'm not a fan of those games either and I'd like to see games I actually am a fan of get some news. But I also think it's funny to joke about them because I'm not going to be whiny over things that I hope to get like I deserve it or something. That's what is selfish. It's the internet. If you think some harmless jokes are taunting, assholeish, or selfish then you should maybe grow some thicker skin.
Ah yes, the “you snowflakes can’t take a joke” argument, with some projection on the side. Nice Boomer take.

You act like I think I’m owed something, and yet when I question why Splatoon needed another game on the switch you turn around and bring up the “you expected people to wait ‘til Nintendo’s next console to get Splatoon 3” as if it’s completely unreasonable to wait that long for a new game. By your own stance on this, you would’ve complained over the gap and yet I’m the one being “whiny” because I’m vocally complaining over a lack of Wario Land.

If we didn’t get a Splatoon game for the next 20 years and instead got nothing but franchises that I like and you don’t, would you really want me saying “I hope you never get a Splatoon game again” under the guise of it being a joke? It’s still an inherently mean-spirited joke directed towards people who complain, so why isn’t it assholish? Maybe thats just subjective and its not up to you to determine what is and isn’t reasonable for me to find insulting?

I'm in agreement that Nintendo has the final say, but removing Xenoblade from the equation would not magically make room for a renaissance of older titles. Nintendo has made partnerships with outside developers that proved to be successful; perhaps it's time they started doing that again.
I mean… yeah? That’s what I’ve been saying. That doesn’t mean that mentioning the amount of Xenoblade support isn’t relevant (particularly when in smash’s case, not having Pyra/Mythra would’ve opened up more dev time for something better, smash or not).

No, I mean the oversaturation of entitled casuals who would spout generic "weeb game" or "not another hentai" nonsense. XC2 brought on this negative perception that Monolith has steadily been trying to deconstruct, or at least show that the series is more than just fanservice. Which it is.
I honestly wasn’t even aware of the sexual fanservice aspects of XC2 until after Pyra/Mythra’s smash reveal. I’m pretty sure that, at least until then, most of that reception was within the fanbase.

Then perhaps these same people should try out a different game in the meantime while they wait, even if it's not their usual cup of Pyra's tea?
That doesn’t change anything. It doesn’t matter how many “Zelda-likes” we play, that doesn’t mean it’s not frustrating to rarely get Zelda updates while Xenoblade gets something every direct.

I'm gonna bet you part of the reason some of these series haven't come back is that Nintendo legit just doesn't have an idea for a game and is too proud to outsource it to a company that does. Even if they're getting money from it, how much of a blow to one's pride is it that an entry to a game IP they own that they weren't heavily involved in making is more successful and well received than ones they did make? iirc Sakamoto was really threatened by Metroid Prime for this same reason.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
I'm gonna bet you part of the reason some of these series haven't come back is that Nintendo legit just doesn't have an idea for a game and is too proud to outsource it to a company that does. Even if they're getting money from it, how much of a blow to one's pride is it that an entry to a game IP they own that they weren't heavily involved in making is more successful and well received than ones they did make? iirc Sakamoto was really threatened by Metroid Prime for this same reason.
Actually with Wario Land’s case I think its the exact opposite, they outsourced Shake It to Good-feel, only for it to be a commercial flop. It might be less of a pride thing and more of a “I don’t trust anyone with this property but me” thing, which to be fair if I lend out my IP to someone and they made Hotel Mario then I’d be hesitant to do it again too. You might be right though.

Being protective of the IPs in general could be the case too, yeah, good point. And I mean they're pretty quick to shut down fan projects and stuff even when they're nonprofit so that kinda points to it a bit too. But if they got no ideas then maybe they should talk to the people that do. Not all of them will be good game-worthy ideas but part of coming up with a game pitch is throwing a lot of ideas into the mix anyway.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
throwing the thread back to its tracks, didya see they revealed an atelier game in the direct? any strong feelings towards it?

I've been waiting for it to come out before playing the second one in the cycle so its welcome news. Won't be for a little while though.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Sure, its selling well after the Splatoon direct. That doesn’t change that there was a noticeable amount of the instal base that didn’t know the difference prior. Literally all you have to do to prove this is look at any youtube comment section before the direct was announced.

Even after the direct was announced people were saying the same thing, so that proves nothing. Just because people didn't bother taking a few seconds to find out the differences even before then, doesn't mean they weren't noticeable.

What you said proved almost nothing. It proved that there was enough of a difference for you to notice, and you’re far from the lowest common denominator. Having a legitimate question about what sort of purpose a third game served to people who only casually played the first 2 off and on is not a complaint

If it was genuinely a legitimate question in good faith then you could've just asked what the differences are. Asking why we even need a third game conveys that it's pointless, not that you're curious about the differences. For people who casually played there still should have been noticeable differences already. And if there weren't then they're not really the target market for the game, whereas tons of others are.

Right. I didn’t understand what sort of gap in the market a third game in a team-based online shooter franchise served to fill when the last one on the same console was perfectly fine. Thats totally the same thing as a heavily story-based singleplayer open world franchise where it’s readily apparent whats going to be different from the last one just from the knowledge that it’s going to have a new story and world.

It’s the same reason why I don’t want another Mario Maker on switch. The second one is perfectly fine, just update that instead. That’s not me saying that I despise the idea of having two of them on one console, just that I don’t see a reason to completely invalidate the last one by making a bigger and better sequel.

Splatoon 3 had more differences told between games before the last direct than TotK has shown differences between it and BotW. TotK so far just seems like BotW 2.0 with a few new added features and a story that continues from BotW. Believe it or not, some people don't even care about the story aspect of Zelda games just like some people don't care about the story aspect of Splatoon.

Why invalidate BotW when they could've just added TotK as a dlc story to it? That's basically the same argument, which doesn't make a ton of sense.

How is that ridiculous? “People care more about something than I do, I’d better joke about how they’re annoyed with it by intentionally wishing them a negative result.”

Excuse me for not understanding that they agree with me when they say the exact opposite.

Because it's literally just that, a joke about wishing something happens that they would find funny because people take it too seriously. Them saying that has no bearing on what Nintendo actually shows, no affect on your life or enjoyment/disappointment with a direct. Calling someone an asshole for a joke is more rude than someone joking about something you like/don't like.

Ah yes, the “you snowflakes can’t take a joke” argument, with some projection on the side. Nice Boomer take.

You act like I think I’m owed something, and yet when I question why Splatoon needed another game on the switch you turn around and bring up the “you expected people to wait ‘til Nintendo’s next console to get Splatoon 3” as if it’s completely unreasonable to wait that long for a new game. By your own stance on this, you would’ve complained over the gap and yet I’m the one being “whiny” because I’m vocally complaining over a lack of Wario Land.

If we didn’t get a Splatoon game for the next 20 years and instead got nothing but franchises that I like and you don’t, would you really want me saying “I hope you never get a Splatoon game again” under the guise of it being a joke? It’s still an inherently mean-spirited joke directed towards people who complain, so why isn’t it assholish? Maybe thats just subjective and its not up to you to determine what is and isn’t reasonable for me to find insulting?

Lol, that's not a boomer take. Nor is it calling anyone a "snowflake". It's a general fact of the internet. If something that is a harmless joke makes you consider someone an asshole, selfish, and be upset than that is overreacting. People are going to joke about harmless things that they find humorous that others don't and that doesn't make anyone an asshole nor selfish.

You are acting like you're owed something. Saying that there's too much of a game in directs and that Nintendo should allocate the funds for that game and more for games you like instead. I brought up your argument regarding why Splatoon needed another game on the switch because you're being hypocritical. "These people should have to wait because they already have a game on this console, but I shouldn't have to wait because things I don't like are always being announced." Like I said, TotK is basically BotW 2.0 at this point, and yet you aren't saying it needs to wait for the next generation of consoles. Yeah if there were that long of a gap between Splatoon games I would be annoyed, but I wouldn't whine about it nor consider it a personal slight that other games that I don't like are getting announced.

If we didn't get another Splatoon game and you got all games you liked and you made that joke I wouldn't be bothered by it. Because it's literally just a joke about video games. Ya know, something that isn't that serious. Saying something like "Man, I love all these games they've announced and have been coming out with. Sucks to suck that you don't get Splatoon, and I hope you never do" wouldn't bother me because I don't care about your opinion and you joking about it has no bearing on reality. Especially if I were constantly complaining about all of those games you like and saying that you shouldn't get them because I'm not getting what I want. You can find it insulting, but I can also call you whiny for doing so, especially because by calling the person who made the joke and asshole for doing so you're basically calling Kirino an asshole for posting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom