• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The naming process

Would you choose a name regardless of what others think?

• I will call my child whatever I want

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I will call my child a name that won't draw attention

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Dan

Recently me and my grandfather were sent to a hospital to watch women give birth as we were told that we do not appreciate the whole process, this was due to us throwing our soiled underwear out into passing prams mothers were pushing.

At the hospital, After watching the momentous pain the women went through the child was finally born. The Doctor asked "So what are you going to name the little one" to which the mother replied Tiger Lilly. I automatically knew this would garner a negative remark from my grandfather who shouted "Why don't you just call it Human Punching back".

This made me think of the importance we as a society place on names. A child with a name that may not be of the norm or perhaps is a name now considered outdated will often go through harassment and ridicule. I even know a person that has changed their name as they have painful memories of such harassment which centred around her old name.

I'm bicurious about what you the forum dweller think of all this? I've even attached a poll to increase your dopamine levels by 5.2% (5.7% if you are female, 0.2% if you're a demigirl)

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I'm going to name my kid Dan regardless of gender.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I like different names, but I agree there is a difference between a name being uNusual and a name beign ridiculous, or even cruel to the child. Tiger Lilly is fine, but say, idk, Apple or any of those other stupid celebrity names.

I like uNusual or uncommon 'normal' names. Like maybe they're not so fashionable atm or not heard around much. It's probably a product of having quite a common name. But saying that, I know some people with really uNusual names.

P.s. it feels really unnecessarily for me have to go back to make this reply readable due to stupid emotes

linkypete

I am the very model of a modern major-general
I don't mind most names, but when a parent thinks their child will be cool for being named something out of pop-culture or something that is a pun, they are wrong. Their child is just going to be mocked, for example, Kanye West naming his child North West because it is a pun just gets the child mocked by everybody.
However, there are some great unique names out there. For example, I used to like a girl named Kaira. Sure, she was beautiful, but her name actually meant a lot to me. It is a unique and beautiful name, and it reminded me of Kairi from Kingdom hearts, a beloved franchise. I do Like uncommon names, as long as they are not ridiculous. To me, Tiger Lily is ok, but I would like it better if the name was either Tiger or Lily, instead of both.

Dan

I'm quite surprised how many people think Tiger Lilly is okay. I thought that would be a really good example of a silly name in the OP, clearly not. I'm personally down with the name that doesn't get your child mocked as much.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
P.s. it feels really unnecessarily for me have to go back to make this reply readable due to stupid emotes
Git gud scrub

:leafleaf:

Beauts

I'm quite surprised how many people think Tiger Lilly is okay. I thought that would be a really good example of a silly name in the OP, clearly not. I'm personally down with the name that doesn't get your child mocked as much.

I don't think they'd be knocked for that name, it's not even that uncommon anymore

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Maybe it's me but when people call their kids odd or weird names it irritates me so much. I know that it's their business and not mine but come on! A child has to carry this name for the rest of their life. Unless they get so tired of it and name themselves other names. Tiger Lily...really??? Lily is okay but Tiger???? What parent would call their kid THAT?! What's next? Dog Jesse? Crocodile Patricia? Cat Owen? Snake Panda? I better catch some air :P

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
I will call my child whatever I want, but I wouldn't want to call my kid something ridiculous like Apple. There's a difference between Unsual names and random words that were never meant to be names. I quite like names such as Wolfgang, Alphonse and Blythe but names like Shaniqua or Le-a (pronounced Le-dash-ah because, 'the dash ain't silent') are a little outrageous for my liking.
On a side note, tell your granddad I love him.

Beauts

Tiger Lily...really??? Lily is okay but Tiger???? What parent would call their kid THAT?! What's next? Dog Jesse? Crocodile Patricia? Cat Owen? Snake Panda? I better catch some air :P

Tiger Lily is a type of lily. Like, a legit species of lily. It looks like this 800px-NLN_Tiger_Lily.jpg . The orange and the stripes around the petals give it it's name. Calling a child Tiger Lily is no more ridiculous than calling it Rose or Lily or Poppy or any other floral name tbh.

Last edited:

ZeldaDungeon

Dungeoneer
I'll name my child what I want, it is my kid after-all. However, if my child grows up and doesn't like his/her/etc name than I will be fine with them changing it to another name ( As long as the new name is appropriate. ).

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
Maybe it's me but when people call their kids odd or weird names it irritates me so much. I know that it's their business and not mine but come on! A child has to carry this name for the rest of their life. Unless they get so tired of it and name themselves other names. Tiger Lily...really??? Lily is okay but Tiger???? What parent would call their kid THAT?! What's next? Dog Jesse? Crocodile Patricia? Cat Owen? Snake Panda? I better catch some air :P
I definitely get that. If you want to name something a silly name like that, get a bird or a fish. It's difficult to get a job when your name is Whismytree.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
Of course I would name my kid whatever I want. Whatever I want can be a common name as well. I'm not actually really fond of 'weird' names anyway, but I do like names you don't hear as often. There is a line between them.

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
I don't mind most names, but when a parent thinks their child will be cool for being named something out of pop-culture or something that is a pun, they are wrong. Their child is just going to be mocked, for example, Kanye West naming his child North West because it is a pun just gets the child mocked by everybody.
However, there are some great unique names out there. For example, I used to like a girl named Kaira. Sure, she was beautiful, but her name actually meant a lot to me. It is a unique and beautiful name, and it reminded me of Kairi from Kingdom hearts, a beloved franchise. I do Like uncommon names, as long as they are not ridiculous. To me, Tiger Lily is ok, but I would like it better if the name was either Tiger or Lily, instead of both.
Being named something out of pop culture isn't that bad as long as it's not something ridiculous. As you said, you like Kaira even though it's from a video game. I was named after the main character from a film called Highlander, but I've never been mocked for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom