• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler The Mystery of The Happy Mask Salesman

DarkLink17

Well then
Do you ever wonder how the mask salesman got all of his masks? This brings me back to when i was playing majoras mask and finnally got on the moon. All of the kids looked like the mask salesman and and you had to give them multiple masks in order to get the Fierce dietys mask. So thats how he got all those masks.

So the only, possible way that the happy mask sales-man could have got to termina is by the lost woods and maybe thats where the skull kid stole the mask. ALSO! many characters are supposed to be based on the zelda team so, is there someone like that? Just some silly thoughts

Z

zeldafan7

i think a lot of points made are not very good proof just some half-connections. The idea that hes from the ancient dark tribe is a good idea, but you are all forgetting that majora was not from that dark tribe, majora was from a race that was around well before the dark tribe existed, and majoras people celebrated the mask ritual every year. majora was ridiculed for having a mask that was different and all of his dark emotion and hate went into the mask, making it evil. the mask was then used in hexing rituals much later in time by that dark tribe you are talking about. so the mask salesmen would more likely have been a descendant from the same group of people as majora, not the dark tribe. This is especially obvious because of the children in the moon looking like the mask salesman. the main point that i am making here is that he is clearly not from the dark tribe, but more likely from the same group of people that majora belonged to.

the one thing that is clear is that the mask salesman is very mysterious, seemingly all-knowing, and has the ability to travel between parallel universes/dimensions. the happy mask salesman is most likely a very powerful entity. the happy mask salesman could be a person from the same race as majora who saw what that mask did to his people and could be trying to prevent it from happening again. he may even be majora himself. majora doesnt have to be evil. it was his mask that was evil. he couldve recieved power from the mask to live forever and feels guilty of what his mask did.

i dont really think that the happy mask salesman is evil, he got mugged by the skull kid, and clearly stated he was trying to stop the mask from getting into the wrong hands because it was an evil mask. hes more of a guardian and a protector, a god-like figure almost.

this is a very funny little side-fact which is almost definitely a coincidence, but technically, he is literally "guiding the chosen hero of the goddess
from the edge of time/universe" (sound familiar?) because termina (root of that word means end hinthint) is an alternate universe/dimension connected to hyrule by that hole in the lost woods. that rift between the clock tower where link enters and the hole in the lost woods that link falls down into could technically be considered the edge of time/ the end of the universe for both realms. i dont actually think this is the case but its kindve funny to see how it fits that scenario almost perfectly. if only nintendo thought out that much of the story (which they clearly didnt).

either way i do think that the happy mask salesman is a nearly all-knowing entity, and good point about connecting him to majoras people through the children inside of the moon.

Honestly, while I do find the HMS a creepy and mysterious guy (and a character I love because of it) I never got the impression he was a powerful being or entity or anything like that. I always thought he was just an obsessive collector. You have some weird guys in real life who go nutty over their collections. It just so happens this guys obsession includes objects with dark and untold power.
He does seem to know a great deal, including being able to cross into Termina. In my opinion I think it's simply because he has traveled cross the world, searched for masks all across the world and gained untold knowledge over his journeys about the objects he collected.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
@zeldafan7
You got the story mixed up, all we are told about Majora's masks orgins are that it was used in hexing ritual and the tribe feared its power so they sealed the mask away. You mixed the story of the 4 giants with Majora's mask orgin story, see the old lady tells you a imp was friends with the 4 giants, but the imp was mischievous and caused trouble for the townsfolk. the imp was banished by the 4 giants. thats were you got that story about the mask causeing trouble.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
There are a few good points, but Skull Kid stole the mask from the Happy Mask Salesman, he didn't drop it. He might have some mood swings though.

hylianbeast

Sage of Destiny
I used to think that he just wanted to destroy Termina, but then I remembered he told Link to get the mask back.
I agree with you on the mirrored image thing. There are characters from OoT that have mirrored images of themselves, but none are that different from their counter-parts except for the Happy Mask Salesman. He is a mysterious guy and his true agenda may not be revealed. I think that's the fun of this series, we can interprate it however we want.

Kleora

Kleora
Yea, I like the idea of the salesman being an entity, an incarnation of Majora itself, or even a guardian that a greater being made to retaliate against the Dark Tribe, as an attempt to seal away or protect the people from the chaos of the Mask.
'

This is a very interesting post. I have always been very suspicious about the happy mask salesman but have never taken the time to form a theory as elaborate as this one. I don't really think that he is completely evil because as many have pointed out he did not drop the mask on purpose, it was stolen from him by skull kid.

C

CosmicCucco

You DO Know That Majora Was A Sacred Tribe. And OF COURSE The Main Character (Link) WOULD Totally Be The "Final Existence" Of The Tribe. Incorrect. It Is Actually Happy Mask Salesman Who Is The Only Descendant Of "Majora." He Is What It Takes To Even Activate The Mask With The Smallest Spark. Without Him Being Around, The Mask Would've Been A Useless Hunk Of Wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom