• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild The Music

What do you think of the music overall?

• Total voters

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
I couldn't find a thread on this, excuse me of this has been talked about before.

What do you all think of the music of this game? So far during gameplay we mostly have lonely piano, but we also got a taste of an orchestra filled with worldly instruments (mostly Erhu) in the trailer, although still with heavy use of the piano.

Let me know your thoughts.

I love it as well. I hope there are plenty of iconic music pieces to go with various sets, as music has always been the most memorable part of any Zelda game to me. But I also like the lonely expansive feeling of having little music and mostly silence in the wide open spaces. As much as I love the adventurous field theme of any Zelda game while I'm running around exploring, I think the toned down overworld music fits the theme of this game nicely, and I'm hoping the cutscenes, dungeons, and more iconic locations like towns and villages will have some great music.

I love what they have showed us and I'm positive the score will be memorable like all of the Zelda titles. It's what adds to this legendary franchise.

Agent of Majora

Herald of the Consumer
Its certainly very nice and laid back. I'm really loving the woodwinds that gently play whist the Link runs around Hyrule field, almost like their sound is being carried by the wind itself.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
The song that plays in the main trailer for it is absolutely fantastic. I could see it becoming one of my favorite Zelda songs of all time.

Now, I'm not sure how much music will actually play in the game. In the demos I've seen, its relatively silent, just the sound of the wind. I think music plays when you go into combat though, maybe? I'll have to rewatch some gameplay. And who knows, maybe they're keeping some of that up their sleeve? Different areas might hold different songs. I think it'd be neat if each area had more and more dynamic music as you went along, but that might be a tad bit too gimmicky. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Now, I'm not sure how much music will actually play in the game. In the demos I've seen, its relatively silent, just the sound of the wind. I think music plays when you go into combat though, maybe?
In the demo videos you can hear ambient music in the background, especially around the Temple of Time.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
In the demo videos you can hear ambient music in the background, especially around the Temple of Time.

Hmm, I suppose I wasn't paying too much attention to the music at the time. I think I was too busy processing everything else first! I'd go back, but I kiiiinda wanna stay as blind as possible. I like games when they can really surprise me.

I'm not a huge fan of the minimalistic approach to music in the game but I really enjoyed the piece from the reveal trailer; it sounded great.

I dunno. The music is nice, and it definitely evoked a feeling of wonder reminiscent of Miyazaki's movies, but... well, I have trouble remembering it. What we heard sounded good and fit the mood and the scene and all, but it didn't feel recognizable or "oh wow I'll be humming this for years" like other music in the series. I guess I'm worried that it'll be nice but ultimately forgettable, and I prefer distinct, separate, and highly memorable pieces like "Midna's Lament" or "Fi's Theme" or "Ballad of the Goddess."

The music is great, but I hope it isn't all just ambient like the little bit we heard. I'm really rooting for some killer themes.

Nicolai

I dunno. The music is nice, and it definitely evoked a feeling of wonder reminiscent of Miyazaki's movies, but... well, I have trouble remembering it. What we heard sounded good and fit the mood and the scene and all, but it didn't feel recognizable or "oh wow I'll be humming this for years" like other music in the series. I guess I'm worried that it'll be nice but ultimately forgettable, and I prefer distinct, separate, and highly memorable pieces like "Midna's Lament" or "Fi's Theme" or "Ballad of the Goddess."

The music is great, but I hope it isn't all just ambient like the little bit we heard. I'm really rooting for some killer themes.
I'm sure you'll be humming a different tune ^^ after you've become a fan of the game and listened to it more. The tunes from A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are only as popular as they are because we like the games so much.

You're probably right, @Nikolai. The more I play it, the more I'll like it. Plus, it's not like every tune in the game can be a Midna's Lament. Zelda is so good with its music, I'm sure they won't let me down.

The music itself isn't new as almost all of what we've seen has been used before as a nostalgic throwback but I certainly love the direction they're going with the quietness, really brings out the fact Hyrule is just a shadow of what it once was

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
In addition to the most recent trailer having that epic score with some Eastern musical elements, I love the gameplay music that we've heard so far. It's all very simple, distant music that I didn't notice at first, but a lot of YouTubers have sped up the footage to reveal that a lot of it is music from other Zelda games played in a way like never before. That's my favorite thing about Koji Kondo. He makes the same piece of music ten times and not one sounds the same.

Nicolai

In addition to the most recent trailer having that epic score with some Eastern musical elements, I love the gameplay music that we've heard so far. It's all very simple, distant music that I didn't notice at first, but a lot of YouTubers have sped up the footage to reveal that a lot of it is music from other Zelda games played in a way like never before. That's my favorite thing about Koji Kondo. He makes the same piece of music ten times and not one sounds the same.
To be fair, do we know the extent of Koji Kondo's involvement in BtoW?

That's actually brings up a broader question that's on my mind: when a title like Skyward Sword has his name and Hajime Wakai's credited, do we know if Kondo composed anything for it, or if he's just getting credit for Zelda's lullaby and the like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom