• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Most Satisfying Character Arcs in Media

Mido

Version 1
Following a character's story in any form of media is an endeavor that requires plenty of investment. A strong character arc can endear a character to a wide audience assuming the right steps are touched for each respective audience member. I cannot say that I have much fluff with which to preface this question, so I will ask the following now:

Which character arcs in media did you find the most satisfying and why? Were there any particular elements that resonated with you as you watched the character's story? Speak your mind below!

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
The character arcs in Independence Day are satisfying to watch.

David Levingston, played by Jeff Goldblum, is a brilliant but low ambition MIT graduate who is working as a "cable repairman" - some sort of IT guy at a New York television network station. He is the only person to find the hidden signal that the alien invaders put in Earth's satellite communication system and is able to alert President Whitmore, played by Bill Pullman, before the aliens destroy the White House.

Meanwhile, Whitmore is a former combat pilot elected on the basis that he would be a tough fighter for America, but it turns out that he's an indecisive whimp.

In the end, Levingston ends up taking an active role in figuring out a method of defeating the aliens, not just applying his knowledge and intellect towards something that actually benefits humanity, but he even flies in to space along side Will Smith's character. And he reconciles with his ex-wife who left him to become Whitmore's press secretary because Levingston wasn't personally ambitious enough for her.

The President, meanwhile, after everything that's happened,
losing his wife
, and a close call with the alien hive mind, ends up finding the confidence to make the decision to go with Levingston's plan. But not only that, he takes up his role as a combat pilot to take to the skies in the climactic battle to determine the fate of HUMANITY! (ahem- got a bit carried away there.)

But the best arc belongs to Randy Quaid's character, a washed up alcoholic Vietnam war vet who claims to have been kidnapped by aliens. In the wake of the alien invasion, of course, it turns out he was right. He lives in a trailer as a single father with his kids who hate him and fails to make a living as a crop duster.

I don't want to spoil the ending for the four people who haven't seen this movie, but suffice it to say he gets his revenge.

Han Solo has an enjoyable character arc. He goes from petty loner and general selfish scumbag to deux ex machina hero, dependable brosef, learns to love someone other than himself, and becomes a major figurehead and general to the rebellion. This is a guy who starts out with his own needs being his only concern, to pretty much putting the entire galaxy - his friends well being and the rebellion's cause - before himself.

I've been trying for bloody ages to think of something for this thread but I honestly don't think I've experienced a decent character arc in a very long time...

There have been entertaining and emotionally resonant arcs like 9S and A2 in Nier Automata but I'm clued in enough to know that they were still tropey cookie-cutter arcs.

Midna's arc in TP is nice but the writing isn't good enough to wholly sell it.

I'd like to give a mention to my girl Milla, but she doesn't have an arc. She ends how she begins. Her unspoken love for Jude is powerful but that is really the only true growth she has.

So... for the best arc ever... ummmm, gonna have to say Robert Neville in the novel I Am Legend by Richard Mattheson.

I Am Legend isn't a very long book, but it is very powerful, it is the only book to ever make me cry (something I didn't think it was possible for a book to do). I won't go into specifics for fear of spoilers but Robert's struggles throughout the book and his situation are so compelling and so personally and emotionally resonant that the final moments of the novel are so profound due to Robert's character that I couldn't help but experience the hell as he must have felt it.

Don't watch any of the movies, just read the book.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom