• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Moment You Fell In "Love" with the Zelda Series?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
When I played a 3D Zelda title (OoT). Before then, the 2D titles were, what I considered, "something you only want to experience once". Although the "Wind Waker" era, nearly made me fall out of the fandom.

V

vuragado

My first had to be the Nes zelda(Legend of zelda), I played it when I was like 5. As soon as I struggled with dungeons, I almost quit until I found the fairy pool and tread on in the magical world of Hyrule.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
I never actually played any Zelda games until I was 7 or 8. About the age of 3 I just watched my mom play them, first being Ocarina of Time. Not sure if there was any particular moment in the game that made me love the series, I just really loved watching it in general.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I knew that I was in for a grand adventure the very first time I obtained the Master Sword in A Link to the Past. I've been addicted ever since. ^^
Another moment I can think of is when I stepped into Ocarina of Time's Hyrule Field for the first time. That was truly magical.

Ocarina of Time was the first video game I ever owned, but it wasn't until Majora's Mask that I fell in love with the series. I can even remember the exact moment: finding Anju crying in the rain by the laundry pool on the second day. It was such a bare, powerful character moment, and it only became more powerful the more context I was able to put together, like the fact that Kafei is literally next door, probably watching her cry, but too ashamed to go to her. Also, on my next three day cycle, I was able to observe Anju more closely, as she puts on a happy face for the inn's customers, stolidly walks through town to the laundry pool where she can be alone, and then just breaks down when she gets there. An astonishing character moment, and the first time I felt that an NPC was really a character, and not just a non-player.

That moment also drove home to me what an intricate game MM is, and how it really manages to keep track of all it's characters and all of their individual three-day schedules. The first thing I thought when I saw her there was, "What's the innkeeper doing outside of the inn?" I'd never seen a game before where the innkeeper (or whatever the case may be) was anything more than that. In that moment, I saw Anju as a character in her own right, and not just as a role that needed to be filled, or a problem that needed to be solved. That's when I fell in love with Majora's Mask, and that's when I fell in love with Zelda.

Well, after my long history o failing at TP and giving up for months, and getting ST, thusly regaining the courage to tread onward in TP, you would think it was when I turned on ST for the first time. I don't recall exactly what that felt like, so it may have been then. But I would say that at three(EDIT: Now four) different moments I truly recalled how much I love the Zelda series.

) The first time was when I found ZD. I was stuck, wedged like a piece of spinach in your teeth. So I looked up online walkthroughs like the wimp I was then and found ZD, a whole site dedicated to Zelda love. "Wait... so there are even more?"
I found what I needed and almost left... but first I looked at an intriguing icon and clicked on Video Walkthrough, just to see what it was like. It was astonishing--the mist, the mysterious melodies playing, the image of the boy riding the copper mare throughout the forest... and suddenly, a stranger appeared out of nowhere and the trouble began. I was seriously intrigued, and at one point later one browsed the site and read an article. That was when I fell in love--when I realized how many cared so much for it.

) The next time it happened was when I defeated Malladus. The music, the exciting battle, the cutscenes, everything about it rang perfection in a rather flawed game. And the ending... I chose Engineer, by the way. And it just... I still think about it.

)When I started playing with headphones. PH, ST, TP, OoT, adn SS are all I tried it on, and... wow. Just wow. I cried when I first played with them plugged in, finishing ST for the sixth time, on my 3-Heart run no less. I decided right then to finish TP with them, and for the first time... Midna completely... I count that all as one awakening, because the same emotion was there the whole day.

)When I heard about the tWW U in HD. I looked at the screenshots and started weeping... This is why I love it. Not the remakes, but that long after you finish and love the games to pieces, Nintendo still finds ways of making you cry. This happened just earlier today.

And it will happen again... It will.

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
It was when I played OoT and MM for the first time. I got the collector's disk for the GC, so my first experience with Zelda was both of these games combined. I absolutely loved the epic feel of OoT, the stuff to do on the side kept me enthralled with the game (particularly the fishing hole), and the first time I beat Ganondorf/Ganon is eternally etched into my mind. I fell in love with the time mechanic of MM, it made Termina feel more real than any gaming world I had seen before (and arguably even since), and I loved the feel of the game, whether it be its darker moments like with the moon falling (still one of the most memorable moments in gaming for me), the heartwarming moments, or the overall supreme WEIRDNESS of the game.

Warbad

Gotta love me!
I basically fell in love with the series by playing an OoT ROM. I saw one of my favorite youtube Lp´ers playing WW and from then i heard about ZeldaDungeon...which led me to discover OoT. When I played the ROM, I felt a sensation that you get upon encounting your first true love. Watching that cutscene of Navi flying around...in my head ," That land looks so beautiful....."
I had never seen a combat system like OoT, so that was a really big YES! for me. After going through the first dungeon of OoT, I continued the game(ROM) until I reached a certain point when I said to myself, "I really NEED to buy myself this game. This game is truly a legend"

After that, my love into the Zelda series grew and grew and of course gave me the desire to play the origin games.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Twilight Princess. I played some Ocarina of Time and saw plenty of Phantom Hourglass, but when playing through the entirety Twilight Princess, that is when I knew the franchise would be something I would cherish.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Well, my first game was OoT and I fell in love with that game, loved it so much that the minute I noticed there was another game out there called Zelda, I bought it. I had a lot of fun with MM. I never got a Gamecube, I was one of those people who just weren't impressed with what the trailer for WW looked like. I only started playing the game last year, but when I did I felt like a proper idiot for how reluctant I had been. When TP was coming for the Wii, it made me want to go buy myself a Wii. I had to wait, tho, but when I did, I loved that game, too.

So for me, it just was playing OoT, getting to know this world and creatures, experiencing the adventure. It made me want to see what else was out there. And I love my other favorite gaming series because it partly reminds me of Zelda, lol.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Man, when I first saw the openess of Hyrule field in Ocarina of Time as a kid. Just amazing. I remember I was afraid of the Stallchilds that came out at night, so I just used the Hylian shield. *Boom* Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom