• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art The Missions

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Hey people! I'm writting a Harry Potter fan-fiction with newly found inspiration. There were no sign ups for characters because I just want my own orriginal characters in it (along with those of the story I am writting my fan-fiction from). But please enjoy the story, here's the first part. ^_^

The Missions​
Rated for mild violence, mild language and possible discriptive violence​

Kyla's Mission​

The room was completely dark, except for the dim lamp shining down on a table with one chair on either side. There was a man wearing a dark and dirty cloak, the hood covering his face, sitting in one of the chairs, and across from him was a little girl no older than eleven, looking ahead with determination. She was wearing a cloak as well, but it was kept cleaner, and it was black with a little lion clasp holding it together. Her chocolate colored hair fell down around her shoulders, not kept as clean and neat as her clothes, but one could hardly tell in the light.

The man was leaning back in his chair and looking down at his hands, while the girl looked at him with her dark green eyes, her brows furrowed. She didn’t know why she was here yet, but there could only be one reason out of two. She knew she was either her to be punished, or sent on her mission. She was taken into this organization when she was born, fostered by the teachers here after her mother died. She was taught all sorts of things, like magic, fighting and developing her mind skills.

Kyla, as she was named by the pendant found on her when she was a baby, was very skilled in all they taught her, and she was practically their prize pupil. The organization was created to send the students they raised to go out and help those in special need. The children, or adults, would be sent on their mission sometime in their life, and that would be when they left the academy. Some had stayed until they were very old, but everyone had a mission.

Kyla knew that this was the time she would get her mission, she was mostly a good girl and she was also their star pupil. She was excited on the inside to know what her mission was, but she didn’t let it show; she needed to make a good impression.

Finally the man stood up, and uncovered his face. His hair was neatly combed back, slick and black, and his face showed a very respectable appearance. He looked at Kyla, and smiled slyly.

“Kyla, do you know why you’re here?” He asked with a sly but respectable voice.

“No sir,” Kyla replied, not taking her eyes off him.

“Well then, it’s all the better surprise,” He said, chuckling a little. “We’ve chosen you to go on your mission now, Kyla. I know it’s a shock, but we’ve been watching you and have decided you’d best go when you’re…” He trailed off for a moment, thinking on his words. Then he turned back to her, and gave his snaky smile. “Fresh.”

Kyla didn’t give the slightest hint of nervousness or fear, although she did feel uncomfortable around him. She remained still, and kept her eyes fixed on his to avoid his disapproving opinions. He continued, seeming to admire her determination and will power.

“We’ve been observing one boy in particular; he’s very popular I’m sure you know him. And we’ve been asked to send one of our students to go and, er… Protect the boy. Do understand what this entails?”

“Yes sir, I’m ready to hear my orders.”

“Very good,” He smiled at her. “They told me you were obedient. Well then, your orders are to watch him at all times possible, and do everything in your power to protect, guide, and help him. He has dark times ahead of him, and he will need assistance to get through them.” The man was more serious now, but Kyla was not shaken. “We know everything about his future, but in order for these things to happen you must be there to aid him.”

“I will take on this challenge sir,” Kyla said standing up in triumph.

“Very good,” The man smiled. “You may go see Animar for further information.”

Kyla bowed to the man, as was the respectful custom in the academy when being excused or excusing yourself. The man bowed as well, and Kyla was sent out of the dark room into the light again. The hallways of the academy weren’t necessarily bright though; the entire academy and the land surrounding it was rather dreary and without much happiness.

Kyla knew where the office of Animar was, so she made her way there calmly on the outside, although inside she felt eager joy and excitement. She couldn’t believe she was getting her mission; finally she would be leaving this dreadful place forever. When she came upon the big wooden doors where Animar waited behind, she took in a big breath, and then pushed on the doors to open them.

The room was a circular tower, going up and up for what looked like forever. The diameter of the room was small, and thus the room seemed cluttered with books and papers. There were shelves all along the walls with parchment and all assorted items about, and obviously there’s wasn’t even enough room for all this; the floor was practically made of the books too.

Kyla stepped in, nervous but excited, and waited for Animar to tell her the orders. Animar was a man who looked to be about a thousand, although Kyla thought it mustn’t be true because no one could live that long. His long grey beard fell far down, passed his chair and to the floor below. He sat upon a cushioned chair on a tall pedestal that overlooked what seemed like everything. He wore a worn out red robe, with faded designs and symbols on it. His hair was almost all gone from atop his head, and he wore glasses that sat low on his nose.

Animar looked down at Kyla from his perch, and smiled sweetly, shaking his frail body. Kyla didn’t at all feel nervous, but waited anxiously for him to give her the mission.

“Kyla, I see you have passed Olar’s test, hmm?” Animar said with a thin aged voice.

“Yes sir.”

“Of course, that’s why you’re here! And I see that he’s mentioned you to be one of the best students, is that right? Hmm, and it is your time to get a mission too.” Animar paused while reading a piece of parchment. Kyla was patient enough, but she was also getting restless for her time was so near. Animar looked up from reading, and smiled again. “You have a very delicate and dangerous mission Kyla, it is very important you do not fail.”

Kyla stood there, waiting for Animar to say more. He looked at her intently, and with a stern seriousness. Then he spoke again, reading off the parchment. “Kyla Dornthane is to take on the mission of protecting a young boy from the many trials to come in his life. This boy is only eleven, conveniently her age, and he is to go to a wizarding school within the month. The headmaster of this school has personally asked for Kyla to be sent to him, and she will receive full knowledge of her mission when she arrives at the school. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is where the young Harry Potter will be attending, and during that time Kyla Dornthane is to guard and protect him at all costs. After her mission is done, she is free to do with her life as she pleases, and the Academy for Special Learning will no longer have a hold on her. Signed, Andorious Felmar the third.”

When Animar was done reading, Kyla strained to hold her tongue. She was to watch over a little boy? It was disrespectful to talk without being asked to here, and that was what got Kyla in trouble most of the time, but she held her words and waited for Animar to either send her off or say something more.

“Do you understand your mission Kyla?” Animar asked, leaning forward.

“Yes sir, but do I have permission to speak further please?”

Animar looked her over, then gave a nod and leaned back to rest.

“Sir, why do I have to babysit some boy? I thought the missions we got were dangerous and very important; what does this boy have to do with anything?”

“Kyla, this boy has to do with almost everything. You know that we can foresee the future Kyla, am I right? And so you know that we pick the most important missions based on our sight. We have seen what this boy must do, and in order for him to do it you must be there to aid him.”

“But what do I do to aid him?” Kyla asked a little upset with her mission.

“You will find that out when you leave here, and meet with the headmaster. He is to tell you everything he wants you to do, and you must follow his direction. We have everything ready for you, and if you choose to accept this mission you will be sent off right away. Do you want to take this on, Kyla Dornthane?”

Animar looked at her with his piercing eagle eyes, and Kyla stared back with determination. She was not going to let a silly little boy ruin her life, and so she would take on this mission and get it over with. Besides, she got an honor that only a handful in history have gotten; she was able to do whatever she wanted with her life after this mission.

“I will do it sir,” Kyla said nodding.

“Very good, now go see master Voren and he will send you on your way.”

Kyla gave a low bow, and left the room triumphant. She was going to get her mission over with as soon as possible, and then she could live normally like other people. Before Kyla would leave though, she would say goodbye to her friends here, although she only had one because the other students were jealous of her advancement ahead of them. She found her way through the dreary halls and met Laury scrubbing the floor. Kyla smiled down at the girl with long ragged blond hair, who was wearing rags for clothing.

The girl then noticed Kyla, and looked up as if to make a rude remark. Then, realizing that it was Kyla who stood there, she smiled and giggled a little.

“Hello Kyla, I’m sorry I thought you were Master Yoren. I swear, if he makes me clean this floor one more time today I’ll-”

“It’ll be alright Laury,” Kyla said, laughing at her friends frustration. Laury laughed as well, and stood up to talk to Kyla properly.

“So what’s the news? I heard you got called in today. Was it something bad?”

Laury was naturally very curious, but Kyla didn’t mind at all telling her friend what had happened. Although other students would be more jealous when they heard, Kyla would be away from all that when word broke out.

“I’ve got my mission Laury, and I’m to leave today.”

Kyla put her hands on her friend’s shoulders and smiled lightly, as Laury took in the news of her best friend leaving. Then Laury shook away her confused expression and hugged Kyla.

“I knew you would be leaving soon. You’re the best student Kyla, and I’m glad they recognize you for that.”

Laury pulled away then, holding her Kyla’s hands, and smiled at her sweetly. Her deep green eyes sparkled with water building up, but she didn’t let them fall. Kyla was sad to see her friend like this, and frowned a little, but Laury caressed her cheek and spoke softly.

“Don’t be afraid for me, Kyla, I’ll be alright. You have to worry about yourself now; I hear those missions are dangerous.”

“I’ll miss you Laury,” Kyla embraced her friend, squeezing tight. She promised herself internally she would not cry, but the tears came slowly down her cheeks. Laury patted her hair, and smiled.

“I’ll miss you too Kyla. I doubt I’ll ever see you again, but I’ll think of you always.”

“I have to find Master Voren now, and when I do I must depart.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure these floors stay clean while you’re gone,” Laury joked lightly with a smile.

“You’d better,” Kyla said quietly.

They gave each other one last quick embrace, and Kyla went on her way to find Master Voren. Laury stood there and saw her run off and turn the corner. She smiled at the ground, and went back to scrubbing the floor.

Kyla had finally found Master Voren, waiting at the dock right outside the front entrance. He was a very patient man, and Kyla was glad for that. She hurried to get to him; he was wearing a long brown robe and a tattered cloak. His hair was black and curly, and he towered over everyone else at the academy. Kyla pleasantly bowed to him, and smiled.

“Are you ready then Kyla?” Master Voren asked with a smile.

“Yes sir, I am ready.”

Master Voren motioned for her to step in the boat, and she sat in beside her belongings. All she had though was a sack, which had already been packed by the academy staff to prepare for her departure. Master Voren stepped in the boat too, and shoved off with his long pole.

The academy castle was a light brown stone color, atop a rock in the middle of the ocean. They had meant to be secluded and undiscovered so not just anyone could go there. The dark clouds in the sky never left, but Kyla would miss the dreary place. It was where she grew up after all; she knew no other place to call home.

The castle was soon covered in mist, and she never saw it again. The clear blue sky was what she saw now, and the blue ocean waters moving with the light wind. She had never know any place so bright and probably delightful, but she dearly missed the castle even now, and would gladly give up this perfect sky for the grey clouds and crumbling castle any day.

Her mission was now at hand though, and so Kyla looked ahead with determination to finish her mission and do what she wanted with her life. Maybe she could come back to the academy, and possibly become a Master. But that would all be left for the future, so Kyla left her thoughts alone and waited for land to appear once more.

Last edited:

Mido

Version 1
During the first one, eh? This is superb so far, Rainy! I've been immersed into the unravelling events! Continue to entertain ye old audience! I think I saw at one point where it said that "
Anime looked at her with his piercing eagle eyes", was it supposed to be Animar? Excuse me for asking! :D

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I'm beginning to see parts in your writing that remind me of my own. ;) I really like your story. So Kyla is sent to guard Harry Potter, eh? I wonder what will happen once she makes it to Hogwarts. Anyway, the only problem I see (and I only mention it to you because I want you to excel even more with your writing) are some misplaced commas. Lemme show you a few examples in the spoiler tag, you decide whether you want to fix that or not.

Bad Comma Usage

1. Finally the man stood up, and uncovered his face. (You don't really need a comma there, (the word and is actually connecting the whole sentence)
So it would be: Finally the man stood up and uncovered his face.

Another one here:
2. She remained still, and kept her eyes fixed on his to avoid his disapproving opinions. (you don't really need the comma there)

Good Comma Usage

3. “No sir,” Kyla replied, not taking her eyes off him.

4. Kyla bowed to the man, as was the respectful custom in the academy when being excused or excusing yourself. (good comma usage here too, as you are actually separating two different thoughts/actions)

I'd show you more, Rainy, but I hope you see what I mean. :cool: And there were some typos, but I don't really care about those, I make them too. xD

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Hey, I'm glad ya'll liked it, so here's some more. ;p

Hogwarts

Kyla was shaken awake by Voren; apparently they had arrived at the school. She sat up and the boat wobbled a little, then she saw Voren smiling down at her.

“We’ve arrived Kyla,” He said.

Kyla moaned a little and rubbed her eyes from sleep. Then she looked around and saw the large castle not too far from where they docked. There was a man standing on the shore with a lantern, he looked kind of scruffy and he needed a shave. His clothes were tattered and his hair that went to below his shoulders was messy and almost gone. There was a cat too, standing beside him in the lamp light. Kyla stood up and began to get her things.

“I’ll get those,” Voren said kindly.

Kyla just smiled and nodded. Then she grabbed her little bag with hardly anything in it, and got out of the boat. She needed a little help and grabbed onto the post on the dock, but once she was out she steadied herself. Being in a boat for that long was wearisome, but she kept herself balanced. When Voren got the luggage out, which was just a trunk and an owl in a cage, he got out himself and took the luggage again in his hands.

“Alright then, this way,” The scruffy man said, leading the way to the castle.

Since night had fallen, Kyla had to keep close to the scruffy man to see. The walk to the castle was short though, and they made it to the front doors in a short time. When the scruffy man opened the large doors a sudden burst of blinding light flooded outside. Kyla was stunned, and looked away, but Voren and the scruffy man seemed to be fine. It must have been the fact that Kyla wasn’t used to sudden bright lights in the dark.

Kyla was able to see clearly though very soon, for her blindness didn’t last long. The scruffy man showed them in, and Kyla followed with no other choice. She looked around her in awe; the castle was huge! There were also paintings covering almost all of the walls, and the stairs that lead upward were moving! There was a huge arch door to her right, and dozens of other hallways all around. But the direction that the scruffy man led them was to the arch door, which was open and letting noises echo all about the castle probably. There were students in there, eating, talking and laughing. Kyla was a bit shy to go in there, but she buried that fear and went in lead by the scruffy man and followed by Voren.

It was a long hall, with four long tables extending almost all the way down. Then there was one long table at the end of the hall that stretched across the width of the room that was elevated higher than the rest of the hall just a little. There was a thin podium that stood in the center, and a brass owl seemed to be holding the book holder. A man with a long grey beard and a red robe sat in the middle of the table, in a big chair. There were other adults sitting along that table eating and talking, but Kyla assumed that the bearded man was very important.

The bearded man seemed to see her too, and she looked away from him. She saw children enjoying themselves in the hall, and perhaps she got a few stares too. She wasn’t used to so many people; there were only a handful of people at the academy. But she kept walking all the same. Soon though the talking died down, and she knew they had their eyes on her.

The bearded man smiled kindly at her. He seemed like a kind old man, but she felt like his eyes were soul piercing. Kyla was then halted in the open area where the four long tables ended and she was meant to wait until the bearded man did something apparently. Just before she thought he was going to do something, a woman probably in her sixties wearing a green robe and hat passed her and there were now children surrounding her all in black robes.

Kyla was uncomfortable with the children around her, but let everything happen as it did, for she had a mission to do. Then the woman set up a stool in front of the podium and unrolled a scroll.

“When I call your names you are to come forward and I will place this hat upon your head. You will be sorted into your houses and then you will go to your house’s table,” the woman said, referring to raggedy the hat she held in her hand.

The children around were mumbling a little, obviously about what houses they’d be sorted into, but Kyla paid them no mind and waited for what she must do.

“Hermione Granger.”

A girl with thick, long brown hair went up to the stool and the lady in green placed that hat on the girl’s head. After a very short time the hat shouted, “Gryffindor!” The girl left happily as the lady in green took the hat and called out another name while the children at the tables cheered. “Ron Weasley.”

A boy with red hair and freckles came up, he seemed to be nervous as the hat was placed on his head. But soon the hat shouted, “Gryffindor!” The boy relaxed and smiled, then he went to join the cheering Gryffindor children as the lady called out more names. “Harry Potter.

Kyla froze, and realized that was the boy she was supposed to protect. A boy her age went up to the stool and sat down and the lady put the hat on his head. His hair was short and black, and he wore round glasses; he also had a scar on his forehead. He and the hat seemed to be having a conversation, although Kyla was unable to tell what they were saying. Suddenly the hat blurted out “Gryffindor!”

The crowd of children erupted and they welcomed Harry to their table gladly. Then the lady called out another name, “Draco Malfoy.” A boy with platinum blond hair came up, smirking, and the hat was not on his head a moment before the hat shouted “Slytherine!” The Slytherine table cheered and the boy seemed very pleased.

Kyla’s attention was still on the lady though, as she needed to know what to do. Then she realized Voren was gone, along with the scruffy looking man. Had they just left her there? What was she supposed to do now? Suddenly the lady in green called out another name, “Kyla Dornthane.”

Kyla was so surprised that she didn’t move, but then one of the children in the group pushed her forward and she tripped going up the stairs. A few laughs came from the other children, and Kyla’s face went red.

How am I supposed to protect that stupid kid if I can’t even keep my cool? She thought, frustrated with herself.

Kyla regained herself calmly though, and sat on the stool. The hat was a little big for her head, but Kyla learned not to care.

“Oh, you’re not from around here are you?”

Kyla looked around to see who had talked, but suddenly realized to her astonishment that it was the hat. She was now a little upset with what was happening. So Voren had just left her to find out on her own what she should do? She was all alone, and she hadn’t the slightest idea as to how to protect that stupid boy.

“I sense determination, but your smart, and a little aggression and hatred. Where should I put you eh? Definitely a hard one to place. Hmm, I suppose Gryffindor!”

The lady took the hat off Kyla’s head and it all seemed bright again. She looked around to find that Harry boy, obviously that would be her table too and that’s how she’d spot where to go. She found him, along with the other children that were placed, and she went there. The children cheered as they always do, and she sat herself down to await the next happenings.

Kyla was shy, and she kept to herself at this table while the other children talked and enjoyed themselves. When the sorting was done, the bearded man stood up and attracted the attention of the school to him.

“Now that our wonderful children have been sorted, let the feast begin,” He said with a calm gentleness.

Food suddenly appeared on the tables, and kids began grabbing and eat at once. Kyla was a little shy, and she didn’t grab anything to eat. Instead she looked around to see what everyone else was doing, so that she could possibly mimic it to fit in.

The Hermione girl seemed to be getting along with one other girl, and the Ron boy was talking with Harry. Kyla saw other people talking, but she herself had no one to talk to. She realized she could seem like a misfit if she didn’t have anyone to talk to, but there was nothing she thought she could do about it.

“So how do you like Hogwarts so far?”

Kyla turned to where the voice had come from and saw that Hermione girl next to her smiling. Kyla smiled weakly back and shrugged. “Well I’ve only just arrived, I can’t say much.”

“That’s alright; I already know everything about Hogwarts by the way. I’ve read it all in Hogwarts a History.”

This girl sounded like a smart mouth, but strangely Kyla liked her. Hermione had a strange joyfulness and friendliness that made you want to be around her for some reason.

“I never even heard of Hogwarts until today when I was sent on my-” Kyla stopped there. She was supposed to be under cover on her mission.

“Yes?”

“When I was sent on my way here, you know, they told me last minute.”

“That’s odd, one would think they’d tell you at least a day in advance,” Hermione said, partially to herself.

“Well that’s just how they are to me,” Kyla covered up and smiled lamely.

Kyla then decided to eat something, perhaps if she had something in her mouth Hermione would be less inclined to ask her questions she might mess up on the answers for. She took a few rolls and began nibbling on those, and it seemed that Hermione kept her eyes on her the whole time.

“I’m sorry it’s just, you don’t seem like a witch to me.” Hermione put it very bluntly in her normal tone, as if she had said an everyday phrase.

“Well, Hogwarts picks the strangest kids eh?”

“Yes, they certainly do.” Hermione went back to eating her own food now, and Kyla was done her rolls. It was quite filling, mainly because she wasn’t hungry though. So she stood up and grabbed her little satchel with her assorted items inside.

“Leaving then?” Hermione asked kindly and plainly.

“Yes, I think I’ll go to bed.”

“So you know where the Gryffindor common room is?”

“Umm, I’ll figure it out.”

Kyla winked at Hermione and left down the hall. It felt so relieving to be out of there; there were too many people. She decided the best place to start was to go up the stairs and find a room that looked right for the Gryffindor common room. The paintings on the walls smiled at her, and a few waved as she waved back, and suddenly the stairs changed just before she was to step onto the platform.

“No you don’t!”

Kyla leapt from the edge of the stairs onto the platform with ease, although the distance wasn’t too far by then, but no one in their right mind would probably try it anyway. Kyla smiled at herself and stuck her tongue at the stairs she was previously on. Then she continued up the set of stairs that lead right along the wall.

“Lost yet?”

Kyla turned around to see a boy with short dark hair that kind of looked blue but she couldn’t tell. His eyes looked red, but she thought that was the lighting and they were probably brown. He looked about twelve or thirteen, but Kyla was always bad at telling ages. He smiled at her with a hand in his pocket and the other holding a book.

“No, I’ve got a good sense of direction.” Kyla said triumphantly.

“Except when you don’t know where you’re going.”

The boy came up to her stair and she could now tell he was at least twelve. He was a head taller than her, although she had always been short compared to the others at the academy, and his smile never seemed to fade from his face.

“I know where I’m going,” Kyla said defensively.

“If you want to find the Gryffindor common room you’ll need to have stayed on the stairs that you leapt off of.”

“How did you-”

“I saw you sorted in the great hall,” The boy said with a smart attitude but still the kindness he had before.

Kyla folded her arms with frustration at the boy. Who did he think he was anyway? She began up the stairs again though, to try and ignore him. But the boy grabbed her shoulder and turned her around. He pulled her to him with one arm and kissed her there. Kyla struggled a little to get away, and when he let her go after just a few seconds she hurried up to the top of the stairs. There was no one else around but the paintings, and what did they care? Kyla’s face was red and the boy looked happier, either from satisfaction of the kiss or from Kyla’s reaction.

“I’ll see you later,” He said going down the stairs.

Kyla was now furious and wanted to lunge down and attack him. But she thought it better to leave it be; she could get her revenge later. Then she looked up at all the changing staircases above her, seeming to go on forever. She made up her mind to follow any set of stairs and continued up the one she was on.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
How am I supposed to protect that stupid kid if I can’t even keep my cool? Lol at the stupid kid. :P

I liked the update, Rainy, very good, took me back to the sorting scene in the movie. :nod: I wonder who kissed Kyla, though, you didn't give a name. :P Anyway, keep it up. ~Atsie

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Thanks so much for reading guys, you're great! ^^

Her Orders

Kyla was always an early riser, and so she was up before anyone else in her dorm room. Coincidentally that Hermione girl shared a dorm room with her, which she thought nice since Hermione was the only one to talk to her last night. Except for that boy of course, which Kyla hated talking about. She got dressed in her robes, which were magically changed to have her house’s crest on it, also lined with the red Gryffindor color at the edges.

The dorm room was a round and had seven beds with the heads against the wall all around. In the center was a fire pit to keep the room warm, which the house elves lit in the winter time. There were windows along the walls in between the empty spaces that were unoccupied by beds, but had a desk under each window sill. The curtains were red colored too, to match the house.

Kyla headed down the spiral steps outside her dorm room down into the common room, which was square and about as big as the dorm rooms. It had a fireplace along the wall across the spiral steps to the left, with a red couch in front of it along with two smaller couches in an arch. There were a few small tables in the room with two chairs at each, mainly for studying. Then there was a large tapestry of fine colors on the left wall of Godric Gryffindor holding a sword in a field. To the right were tall windows with the curtains pulled aside for light.

Kyla headed straight forward to the exit, which was a painting on the other side. She had her satchel with her, of course carrying her school books for the day. This morning she awoke with a piece of paper at her bedside which had the schedule of classes. Kyla remembered her way down to the great hall by memorizing the stair patterns, and so she followed her memory to go eat breakfast.

When she had made it down the changing stairs she found the great hall partly empty; mostly because no one was up that early. Kyla found herself a seat at the Gryffindor table and noticed that it was a serve it yourself meal. She grabbed a roll and some butter and decided on just bread. She also had a glass of milk which appeared as she thought of having some.

As she was reaching for the jug of milk she saw the worst thing she could possibly see right now. It was the dark haired boy who kissed her last night. Kyla’s face reddened and she poured her milk, pretending not to have seen him. Then he looked over in her direction and smiled, leaning his head on one hand with the elbow on the table. She ate her roll hurriedly and grabbed her bag as she chugged the milk. Kyla stood up and wiped her mouth on her sleeve, then took off through the large doors and headed down the hallway. Although she didn’t know where her first class was, Defense Against the Dark Arts, she kept walking.

“Hey, where are ya going!” She heard a male’s voice call to her from behind.

Kyla paid the boy no heed and kept walking, but at a faster pace now. She started hearing hard and faster footsteps behind her, and broke into a run. She turned the corner, ran up a flight of stairs, burst through a door, ran down a corridor, turned right and went up another flight of stairs to run through another door. The moment she entered the room she thought she was in heaven. The Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, professor Quarrel, was standing there waiting for the rest of the students. There were other students sitting in their chairs, and they all looked at her.

“Heh, sorry, I just didn’t want to be late,” Kyla covered up giving a half smile.

She found her seat and looked forward, waiting for class to start. The boy never came, and the class filled up with first year Gryffindors and Slytherines. When the class finally started she paid careful attention to what the teacher was saying. Coincidentally Harry Potter was sitting next to her, so she could keep an eye on him too.

“And I want a three scroll p-paper on Blast Ended Screwts by next M-Monday,” Professor Quarrel said, shooing the class.

Kyla took her satchel and headed straight for the door, along with the other students. The moment she left the room someone grabbed her arm and pulled her back. To her disgust it was the boy who kissed her last night, and she tried wrenching away.

“Hey now, I’m just here to take you to the head master. Professor Dumbledore wants to see you,” The boy said, smiling.

“Well don’t try anything, got it? I’ve just learned some pretty offensive spells and I could really hurt you.” In truth Kyla had only learned how to treat a burn from a Blast Ended Screwt, and how to tell if you’re near one so you can get away soon.

“Whatever you say,” The boy said chuckling.

He let go of her arm and started walking down the hall. Kyla followed him, although she really didn’t want to, and kept pace with him the whole way. As they were walking the silence, although not so silent with people talking around them, was getting uncomfortable. Kyla decided to speak up then, but she kept her fierce tone so he didn’t think she was uncomfortable.

“I don’t know your name you know.”

“My name’s Dantay, I’m a second year student at Hogwarts.”

He never looked at her, but looked straight on with a smile on his face.

“I’m Kyla,” Kyla said without him asking. Then she cursed herself for doing that, because she could have kept her name since he didn’t ask. Damn girl.

Dantay was laughing to himself, and Kyla looked up with anger. “What’s so funny?”

“Nothing, it’s just, you told me your name.”

“That’s all I’ll tell you, so don’t ask for anything else.”

Kyla crossed her arms and kept walking. After a turn they met a dead end at a phoenix statue in an alcove, and Kyla tapped her foot impatient. “Well? Are you lost?”

“No, this is professor Dumbledore’s office,” Dantay said with a truthful tone.

Kyla sighed and waited. Nothing happened. She got tired of waiting and turned around to start walking.

“Sherbert Lemon.”

Kyla heard the sound of stone moving and turned around, only to see that the stone statue was spiraling upward leaving a trail of steps behind. Dantay turned and smiled at her happily. She pushed passed him, purposefully knocking his shoulder, and went up the stairs. She knew Dantay was laughing down there now, because for some reason men liked it when women got angry.

When the moving stopped and she reached the top, Kyla knocked on the wooden door that possibly lead to Dumbledore’s office. When it opened she saw lots of knickknacks, oddities, and a red bird on a pole. She also saw the sorting hat on a shelf with many dust collecting books. Then there was the man in the red robe with the long grey beard. His moon glasses sat at the end of his nose, and he looked at Kyla with a small sweet smile.

“Please, sit,” He said gesturing to a chair.

Kyla sat down, not feeling angry at Dantay right now because for some reason the old man had that effect on her. He poured himself a cup of tea and gestured to Kyla if she wanted any. She shook her head and he helped himself to his delicious looking tea.

“What I have called you for is for you to find out what your mission is. I know you know to protect Harry, but you should know the full details,” Dumbledore paused and drank some more tea. “Your mission is very serious, and your success is very vital. Before you are to take on your mission I want you to use this time turner to go into the future.”

“Wait, into the future? So I can cheat on life or something?” Kyla asked, very confused as to why Dumbledore wanted her to see the future.

“Exactly!” Dumbledore said happily. “You are to go to the future and see what will happen to Harry. That is the only way you will know what to do to protect him.”

“But isn’t meddling with time bad? Wont I die or something for this?” Kyla asked, still hesitant to accept Dumbledore’s madness.

“Well yes, meddling with time is bad, and it does have severe consequences,” Dumbledore said shrugging. “But you must do this to save Harry from whatever evil will accompany him. You must know what will happen to him, so you are prepared to help him.”

“Professor Dumbledore, isn’t there another way? Do you mean I have to live a whole three fourths of my year stalking Harry, and then come back and live it all over again?” Kyla was a little outraged, and confused at the same time.

“Well if you’d like to put it that way, then yes.”

Dumbledore smiled at Kyla. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing! Dumbledore asked her to live her life twice, every year for seven years. That was too much; she didn’t think her stupid mission would be this. And now she would age about twice as much, so she’d have to hide her age from others, and she would also be doing her mission for longer than she thought. What if she had to do this for longer? Perhaps fifteen years? Then she’d be about forty when she could live her own life! No, Kyla did not want to do this job; Dumbledore could find someone else.

“I thought you’d say that,” Dumbledore said in response to Kyla’s silent decline. “And because of that I’ve come up with a different solution.” Kyla looked intently at him, hoping for something better. “In order to help Harry you’ll need to be skilled with magical defenses and offenses, and you’ll also need to know the ground very well. There’s a second year student that I’ve asked to help you with this task.” Kyla sighed with relief; finally a sensible plan! “Will you take on this task?”

“It beats having to live your life twice,” Kyla said happily.

“Good; Dantay, could you please come in?”

Kyla froze with anger, and turned to see that stupid blue haired boy standing there with that annoying smile on his face. He walked in and sat in a chair beside Kyla’s.

“What the hell are you doing here?” Kyla shouted at him. “Why did Dumbledore ask you?”

“Oh, so you’ve met,” Dumbledore said with a plain tone.

“Yes professor, I’m ready to take on this task,” Dantay said, ignoring Kyla and holding in his laughter.

“Good. Kyla, since you’ve already accepted, I’ll leave you to your task.”

“But professor, you can’t leave me with him! When you said second year I thought you’d pick someone smarter!”

“Hey, I happen to be a straight A student, when I do the homework anyway,” He muttered the last part to himself.

“Kyla, I don’t want any arguments. I freed you from the academy and have given you a free life after seven years of service to me. You will work with this boy until I say you’re done, or when your time is through. You may go now, I assume you have classes to do.” Dumbledore waved them off, and Kyla just stood with her mouth open.

“Come on,” Dantay said taking Kyla’s arm.

“Get off,” Kyla said angrily, pulling away and hurrying down the stairs.

Dantay followed her, standing on the steps as they spiraled downward. He apparently enjoyed it like it was a child’s ride, and when it stopped he burst out laughing.

“Did you see your face? When professor Dumbledore called me in you freaked!”

“Stop it! I said I’d work with you only because I want my freedom, and when I’m done I’m getting as far away from you as possible!” Kyla shouted her face red with fury.

“Whatever you say, but you’ve got seven years to wait.”

“I probably won’t need you after the first year.”

“Oh yeah, and why is that?” Dantay asked.

“Because I’m a great learner and I won’t need someone to teach me when I’m very good.” Kyla said smirking.

“We’ll see,” Dantay said, heading down the hallway with a smile on his face.

As soon as he was out of sight Kyla ran once more. She ran until she found herself at the Gryffindor painting entrance, and she recited the password. When the fat lady let her in she hurried up the steps and into her dorm room. There Kyla sat stubbornly and looked out the window.

Seven years of hell starts today.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Holy macarole, this was far down the line. :bleh: Well anyway, after cutting my line of slaking I decided to give you guys the next chapter, it'll last you a little while hopefully until I get the next one out sometime. Enjoy! ^^

Finding out Secrets

It had been two weeks since she started working with Dantay after professor Dumbledore asked her to, and so far they hadn’t done anything. Dantay had been avoiding her since then, and she wasn’t learning whatever he was supposed to be teaching her. Although Kyla liked that, because she really hated being around him now. But since she had to learn some defensive and offensive spells to help Harry, she was looking for Dantay. The two weeks of peace had been nice for Kyla, but she knew that she needed to do her mission right, and therefore she needed to learn more spells.

Right now Kyla was asking everyone she met where he was or if they’d seen him come by. A Hufflepuff boy directed her toward the game keeper’s hut just outside the courtyard. She stalked on, annoyed with Dantay for the first time in weeks because he had hidden from her. Why had he done that? He was the one stalking her at the beginning, and he was also the one who enjoyed her annoyance when she found out she accepted his help. Why was he hiding when he was more likely to want to take this opportunity and annoy her a lot more?

When Kyla reached the shaggy hut by the forest, she found that smoke was coming out of the chimney, which meant someone was for sure inside and could tell her where Dantay was. It was hard to believe that the game keeper lived in this rundown shack, but she had heard rumors that the game keeper wasn’t exactly a civilized man. There were lots of repairs on the walls, and it seemed sort of slanted to one side.

Kyla ignored all of these things though, not caring what the house looked like. After all, she had lived in a grey and dreary academy for eleven years, why should a rundown shack bother her? In fact, she should be glad to see it rather than the academy again. She pushed the academy out of her mind, not wanting to relive those moments in the dull place. She walked up to the door, a little hesitant at first, but knocked three times and stepped back to wait for an answer.

No one came to the door, and she heard no sound from inside. Now more annoyed than scared of the game keeper getting angry, she knocked again but a little harder. No one came that time either, and she banged three times, “Open up Dantay, I know you’re in there!”

Kyla was furious and she wanted to find Dantay right now. He had caused so much trouble today, making her scour the entire grounds to find him. After no one answered she threw her arms in the air and growled. Then she looked to the forest, and decided on her direction. She would go into the dark forest to find Dantay, and if he was there she’d kill him. A poor pumpkin happened to be in her way as she marched to the forest, and she kicked it, leaving a hole in the pumpkin and seeds scattered about the floor.

Kyla didn’t care about what was in the forest, she’d had enough training at the academy to defend herself without magic. Since she didn’t know any spells but a simple floating spell she learned in Charms, she figured her physical skills would be more important.

Kyla marched through the forest, her hands clenched in fists and her face red with rage. She couldn’t hear anything that would suggest Dantay’s presence, and she was unable to see anything either. There were no tracks save that of horses and other animals. She was heading deeper and deeper into the dark forest, unknowing of what lay ahead of her. Kyla knew there were unicorns, centaurs, and possibly werewolves in the dark forest, and she knew how to defend herself from almost anything, but she thought she should know what is in here to be ready at all times.

“Dantay!” She called with her hands cupped around her mouth. “Dantay, get over here!”

No sound from any other creature came, and Kyla sighed and tapped her foot.

That stupid boy, I’ll kill him when I see him.

Suddenly she heard something in the bushes ahead of her. It sounded like something was moving fast towards her, and she took a step back. Kyla stood in her physical defense position that she was taught at the academy, and she waited for her enemy to approach. It was fast, and she had to leap out of the way to avoid it, although once landed the creature came for her again. It was a long legged hairy creature that was about the size of a dog. It had a bluish color to it, but its pincers were drooling with possibly poisonous saliva.

Kyla didn’t have time to pull out her wand, and she certainly didn’t want to fight this thing hand to hand, so she ran. She just kept running in one direction, unknowing of where she was going. No creatures seemed to follow her, and she stopped after a while to check if the spider was there. Nothing. The spider was gone, and Kyla was lost.

“Great,” She said aloud. “First Dantay gets me into this mess and then the spider takes me deeper.”

Kyla kicked a tree’s trunk with fury and cursed as she rubbed her aching foot. Her cause was lost, and the only thing to do now was to find something that would lead her back to the castle. She stood up and trudged on, looking for signs that would take her back. All the while she thought of Dantay, and how this all started.

He’ll pay…

Kyla was too angry to notice where she was, but had she been paying attention she would have found that she was not somewhere pleasant. In this area the dark forest was, well dark. There was mist here though, a blue mist that was obviously not normal. Little did she know that she was heading into very dangerous territory. This is part of the forest that no one dared to venture to for fear of what they might find.

As Kyla strolled along, her fists clenched and her eyebrows furrowed, she began to realize that she shouldn’t be here. She saw shadows move in the trees, and sometimes she felt something brush against her skin. Kyla didn’t pull out her wand as she didn’t know any effective spells, and just stayed ready to fight.

As she walked on she could sense that something was following her, but she dared not look back for fear of what it might be. Kyla continued on, ignoring the feeling of horror behind her. Suddenly a hand was around her mouth and another was around her chest. She struggled free, elbowing the being behind her in the gut and spinning around to kick them in the face. As soon as he was down, Kyla saw that it was Dantay who she beat up behind her.

“Ow,” He groaned sitting up and rubbing his face.

Kyla was shocked, and she didn’t say a word. She felt bad for what she did, but also glad that it was him and not something dreadful.

“Where did you learn to do that?” Dantay asked getting up and wiping blood from his mouth.

“That’s none of your concern,” Kyla said quickly.

“Alright, that’s not important anyway. What’s important is that we have to get you out of here fast.”

“Why?”

“This part of the forest is very dangerous Kyla,” Dantay said urgently. “There are creatures in here that you wouldn’t even believe existed. We need to go.”

As much as Kyla hated agreeing with Dantay she wanted to get out of here too. She nodded at Dantay and made a gesture for him to lead the way. The shadows seemed to cease moving, but that didn’t stop Kyla from worrying about something evil being there. As Dantay lead her out of the dangerous forest Kyla began to wonder.

How does he know there are dangers there?

She didn’t bother to ask out loud because it was a kind of silly question. He’d been her a year longer than her, so that must be why. After answering her own question Kyla was silent in her mind as well. The blue mist began to fade and Kyla knew they were coming back into les dangerous areas of the forest. Soon she realized that they weren’t that far from the castle a she saw the forest thin and Hogwarts appear in her view every now and then between the trees.

Dantay had lead her out safely and she was grateful, but then she remembered that he was the cause of her entering the forest in the first place. Kyla smacked him on the shoulder and looked at him with fire burning in her eyes.

“What?” Dantay asked rubbing his arm.

“You were the one who lead me in there in the first place; it was your fault I almost died!”

“You didn’t Almost die you baby, nothing attacked you,” Dantay said defensively.

“It did!” Kyla shouted back. “A giant spider came and almost killed me!”

“Oh a little baby spider almost killed you, well that’s too bad.”

“It wasn’t little, it was huge!”

“Sure, it’s still a baby.”

Kyla’s face went white. There are bigger ones…?

Dantay began to laugh at her, and couldn’t contain himself even when she hit him. Soon other students were staring, and Kyla began storming away.

“Wait!” Dantay called to her.

He caught up with her and they were now walking side by side. Kyla was furious and ignored him, continuing to walk to the doors of the castle.

“Aren’t we supposed to do lessons?” Dantay asked.

“Lessons?” Kyla turned and shouted at Dantay. “We haven’t done any since we began because you disappeared! That’s why I went in there stupid, because I thought you were in there!”

“Hey, calm down Kyla I didn’t mean to disappear,” Dantay said defensively waving his hands in front of him.

“Well you can forget working together, I’m taking the time mission!”

Kyla stormed off again and Dantay followed. He was persistent and that annoyed Kyla, but she didn’t stop. Kyla was headed to Dumbledore’s office to confront him about the matters at hand, and to get a new assignment.

“Kyla, can you wait for a second?” Dantay asked.

Kyla gave him no reply, but he kept following. Once they were inside they never stopped, and they made it to Dumbledore’s office, silent the whole way. Kyla furiously knocked on the door, and they heard Dumbledore calmly let them in. Then they shut the door behind them and Kyla confronted Dumbledore.

“I want the time mission professor, I don’t want to work with Dantay anymore,” Kyla said plain and simple.

“My, what happened that made you so upset Kyla?” Dumbledore asked.

“Dantay hasn’t given me lessons for two weeks and I went looking for him today. That lead me into the dark forest!” She shouted. “He almost killed me!”

“I did not, you went in there of your own accord.”

“Please settle down,” Dumbledore said calmly. “Now, you say you went into the dark forest to look for Dantay?” Kyla nodded and he continued. “Then I must say it is your own fault that you went in there.” Kyla began to protest but Dumbledore lifted his hand. “Although it is Dantay’s fault that you haven’t been getting lessons. Dantay was entrusted with that job and he has not been doing it properly, but that is all in the past now that he is back.”

Kyla and Dantay kept silent, waiting for what Dumbledore might say. Kyla actually secretly hoped that she would continue to get lessons from Dantay, because living her life twice was unbearable. As they waited Kyla crossed her fingers, but continued to look angry, although Dumbledore could probably tell her feelings.

“You can continue to work with Dantay,” Dumbledore said. “But you must be aware of his condition.”

“Professor don’t-” Dantay started but stopped when he got a look from Dumbledore.

“You must know why Dantay will be unable to teach you once a month every full moon,” Dumbledore said simply. Kyla was confused, but Dantay looked a little shaky. “Dantay has told me he is a werewolf, therefore he must leave every full moon so that he does not disrupt the peace here and that he doesn’t do anything he wishes not to do.”

Kyla’s eyes were wide open as she was having trouble taking in what Dumbledore said. Dantay was a werewolf? That’s probably why he knew the bad areas in the forest, but it was still unbelievable. This was probably the craziest thing Kyla had ever heard in her life; although that isn’t saying much because she was closed off at the academy.

Dumbledore just sat there looking simple and innocent as Kyla took her time with the information. He said it so normally, which pertained to Kyla’s slow response. She took a glance at Dantay to see his reaction, and although she’d love to see his downtrodden face any other day, she felt pity for him now because he had no choice over the situation.

“Well, what do you say?” Dumbledore asked patiently.

“I’ll accept it,” Kyla said.

“Very good, then we have come to an understanding so you may be off.”

Kyla just gave a nod and headed for the door, not looking back or waiting for anything else. She opened the wooden door and hurried down the stairs, not stopping for she was buried in thought about it all.

“Hey, wait up speedy!” She heard a male’s voice behind her.

Kyla stopped and turned to regard Dantay hurrying to catch up to her fast pace. When he was finally beside her she could see he was trying to smile, but it pained her to see him fail at covering up his depression.

“Sorry,” Kyla said for both making Dumbledore reveal Dantay’s secret, and for not waiting.

“Your fine, you had to know some time anyway, or else you’d find out so you might as well pick the way you know.”

Kyla didn’t say anything to that, but stared at the floor. Dantay then put his hand under her chin and brought her eyes up to face his. For a moment she thought he was going to kiss her, again, but when he put his hand down to let her hold her own head she was relieved by the fact that he left her alone.

“Should we start lessons then?” Dantay asked cheerfully now.

“Alright, just don’t run off anywhere next time okay?” Kyla teased him.

“I won’t go anywhere without telling you.” Dantay gave a bow so as to mock Kyla, and she gave him a punch on the shoulder for it, but she also smiled as she saw Dantay’s spirits lifted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom