• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The "Mediterranean" depiction of Hyrule in Zelda II: Adventure of Link

I've noticed a common (if not stated out loud) assumption among Zelda fans that take it for granted that Hyrule takes after the King Arthur/ Lord of the Rings tradition of being based mostly on medieval England or Wales, but I think a closer look at the games complicates that a bit.

Zelda II in particular gives off a distinct Mediterranean vibe to me. The most noticeable are all the Greek/Roman-looking pillars both in and out of the palaces. The setting also makes Hyrule look like a sunny, sandy place (there's a preponderance of deserts and beaches) in a temperate southern climate where even the swamps, grasslands and mountains appear "warm."

The townspeople of Hyrule are virtually all black-haired and even Link and Zelda have their darkest hair ever (I've always wondered about how as the series goes on they both seem to get blonder and blonder). The many stocky bearded gents in particular give off a particularly evocative "swarthy" look. They're also ostensibly Christian, and all the crosses and churches were such a rare sight on the NES that they have an air of extravagance here that's easy to read as "Catholic" along with the rest of the setting.

Honestly a lot of this may well be unintentional but it does leave an impression, and I think it's a reminder that the Zelda universe is pretty broad and more varied than we might assume. I think Hyrule is a loose "pan-Europe" in general.

Hyrule does seem to be European-inspired with sections designated for Japanese/Buddhist or Arabic influence (it isn't great that the Gerudo tribe is Arabic influenced and has an evil god king and women who primarily search for Hylian love, gives very 300 vibes, but it's fine). They are definitely the closest to Christian they come, Link literally wields a cross that acts as a Lens of Truth (and is thusly likely Sheikah-produced).

The Greco-Roman palaces are definitely of note, as well as the architecture of some towns (particularly Mido Town (with its white facades and red roofs) and Nabooru Town (with its ornate marble statues) and Old Kasuto (with its ruined limestone buildings) and New Kasuto. There is also Maze Island, which reminds me of the Grecian legend of the maze in Crete, in a loose and ill-defined way. However, Ruto Town and Darunia Town seem much more northern, thatched like a German village, and they are found in the much more mountainous Border Mountains and Darunia Mountains, so this may contribute to the pan-European feel. Death Mountain, a volcano in later games, also is reminiscent of the Italian volcanoes, suggesting southern origins.

I like this thinking, and there seems to be some evidence for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom