• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OoT-N64 The Meaning of Shiek

P

ptlegoman

While reading about Asia in a book I came to a section about leaders. I turns out that a Sheik is an honorary term in arabic meaning "elder". I thought this odd because of the Sheik in OoT could be called this because not of age but of wisdom, since elders often have a lot of wisdom. She has the triforce of wisdom, so why not?

So what do you think? do you think that Nintendo did this on purpose or they just took it from Sheikah?
Post comments below!

I'm not sure which idea Nintendo came up with first: Sheik as a character, or the entire Sheikah race. I'm sure that it came from the actual meaning of the word sheik, though. Either Nintendo based the Sheikah race of the word and then came up with the name Sheik, or they did it the other way around. I personally think they came up with Sheik's name first and then based the name of the whole race on Sheik's name.

I'm not sure which idea Nintendo came up with first: Sheik as a character, or the entire Sheikah race. I'm sure that it came from the actual meaning of the word sheik, though. Either Nintendo based the Sheikah race of the word and then came up with the name Sheik, or they did it the other way around. I personally think they came up with Sheik's name first and then based the name of the whole race on Sheik's name.

I'd agree with this, for the most part. Nintendo has a knack for taking great care in the naming of their characters. It could be argued that the Sheikah race are the "elders" of the Zelda universe - they're certainly one of the oldest races in the game and act as confidants and advisers for the royal family. I'd guess that the name "Sheikah" was derived from the word "sheik," and the naming of the character of Sheik happened simultaneously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom