• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Meaning of a Victory (for the Moment)

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
It has been many months since I've posted here (really even visited the site), and in that time I have been playing Zelda games randomly on and off. Yes I've played many of the titles and some of them I've beat. It's worth noting at this point: I completed the games 100% only using the guides.

Using the guides are great, but although I've technically beaten some games completely, I actually feel like I have cheated and really have not beaten a thing. I feel like someone else beat the game for me.

I am going to start over.

The point?

I've actually beaten nothing. I've accomplished nothing.

What does it mean to be victorious? Is it a feeling, a goal, a path?
I believe a victory lasts only as long as Link himself has defeated the latest challenge. That means that, as soon as a new title is released, as soon as a new evil emerges and a new destiny awakens, the victory before hand must never before forgotten, however, we as Link must take on this new challenge and become victorious once more.

And we have only the tools Link has. Because when we are playing those games, living those adventures, we are Link. If Link does not have a game guide, then neither do I.

To answer my question: a victory is an accomplishment of a goal, and in this case that goal is parallel to Link's. It is a feeling of knowing that I, as Link, used the people and resources I was presented with to the best possible manner in order to accomplish the goal. Victory is a path that changes and grows in accordance with the fate of Link (new games being released or re-playing older ones).

I started playing Zelda since the release of the LoZ, and I can safely say I have still never completed the game (completely on my own). I've realized that there is no point in playing these games, living the adventures and feeling the stories behind them when having a guide to rely on and help in situations.

My goal is to beat every single Zelda game 100% through not using the guides once. No exceptions. I will allow myself information on the characters, the back story and general game information, but as far as quests, hints, dungeon aids, etc. etc....no.

This is more of a personal note than anything, and a lesson to those who may seek to beat the games only in order to say you have beaten them. It simply is not worth it. Play the games because you want to, not to talk about a victory you know you did not earn.

The feeling and sense of accomplishment earned by living a title of Zelda form start to finish without a guide the entire way through is a victory that, just like Link, I understand I can win...for now. Because as soon as a new Zelda title comes out suddenly I will be faced with the same challenges as Link, because I am Link.

My goal is to be victorious as Link, to face the challenge of the day and the fate of the world using only the tools Link has at his disposal. That is, the tools I have at my disposal.

This is a victory I know can last. This is a victory I know Link, myself, will be proud of. This is a victory I know is worth living.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
Wow...I think you deserve a big round of applause :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
So true.

I have probably been using guides a bit too much these days, but I plan on redeeming myself by not touching a guide until I beat Skyward Sword. And the same with the other Zelda games I haven't played yet (LA, OoX, and PH).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom