• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The "Mask Man".

E

Excel

If you've played Majora's Mask, you definitely know the "Mask Man". You've probably also seen him in Ocarina of Time, unless you've never visited the "Happy Mask Shop" in the market as a kid. How did the guy end up in Terminia, in Majora's Mask? He is the same guy as before, but why is he in Terminia!? Well, in Ocarina of Time, Ganon takes over Hyrule only a short time after Link pulls the Master Sword. While Link is sleeping for seven years, the Mask Man escapes, and risks his life by going into the Lost Woods. Apparently, he may not have turned into a Stalfos, (The girl who gives you the poacher's saw in OoT tells you that all outsiders that come into the Lost Woods become Lost and turn into Stalfos) and ended up in Terminia before it could happen. The skull kid lured Link into Terminia, and likely, after the skull kid stole Majora's mask from the Mask Man, he lured him into Terminia. If you think about it, you'd think this actually makes sense.

Big Octo

=^)
Er, no it doesn't make sense. If the Salesman escaped during the seven year dormancy of Link and escaped to Termina, wouldn't he not be there after Link goes back in time, following the defeat of Ganon?

Also, he appears in the end credits of OoT (during which, Link has not returned the Master Sword to the pedestal yet).

SirBeta

Beta is βetter.
How about this:

He was simply wandering around, just like Link, when he got robbed. Then, he found his way into Termina while trying to find Skull Kid.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Nothing is known about the Mask Salesman other than he likes masks. He goes traveling around the world and apparently different dimensions to find mask of all kinds. Whos not to say that he has magic abilities and can travel where ever he wishes. I mean Link can travel back and forth through time, so why can't the Mask Salesman do the same? It's a mystery we may never know.

I think it's quite simple: he leaves Hyrule looking for masks, knowing of other existing worlds besides Hyrule from his previous adventures. He follows Link, then gets assaulted by Skull Kid, and finds his way to Termina to get Majora's Mask back.

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
This is probably why Majora's Mask is one of my favorite games. So many of those characters have large mysteries around their heads and we are ony given a bit of information about them. the Happy Mask Salseman is one of the more mysterious ones and his origins could be simple or they could be complex. It's all up to what you want to make of it.

M. Bulteau

Composer
I think the Happy Mask Salesman has many occult powers, and, as he said, he was following Link. I don't think there's much else to say, really. He's a mystery.

If you wonder about the powers, well, he literally goes poof at the end of Majora's Mask...

MM follows the child ending of OoT, so Ganondorf never took over. The HMS says he was following Link, though we don't know for how long.

That is a really good point you brought up, he could of been following him when he was at Hyrule with Zelda. Its complex and never, could this game be understood.

He is intentionally left mysterious, and most (if not ALL) information surrounding him is left up to the player's imagination, it seems. As already mentioned in this thread, he obviously has strange, otherworldly powers. I mean, for Pete's sake, the guy can summon a massive organ out of thin air and has odd, childlike clones of himself on the Moon, whom...also seem to be obsessed with masks - one of them even wears a replica mask of Majora.

Nintendo deserves major props for creating such an amazing, effective character; one of the most (if not THE most) enigmatic characters in the entire series to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom