• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Makings of a Great RPG Protagonist

Mido

Version 1
In experiencing an RPG, we as players experience the world through the eyes of a protagonist just going about his/her merry way with the party in order to save the world. Sometimes, the protagonist is a blank slate, acting as a sort or avatar for the player, and other times the protagonist has a fully distinct personality. This afternoon, I've been thinking about the latter category of protagonists.

While we have seen many a great protagonist in many equally awesome RPG games, we often witness the formulaic nature of these games bleed into the characters, who often fall into archetypes without much subversion of said archetypes. JRPGs appear to be the largest offenders of this phenomenon, although in many respects, those entities cannot be faulted entirely with RPGs generally being formulaic by nature in archetypes. This leads me into the question at hand:

What do you consider to be good traits of an RPG protagonist? Are there any examples that cross your mind that truly stand the test of time? Are the RPG tropes always intrusive when it comes to RPG protagonists? What do you all think?

I think the worst RPG archetype is the Cloud/emo type.

I dont want to spend hundreds of hours saving the world as someone who quite clearly doesnt care or cant see beyond his own personal problems for the sake of others. This type of character is rife in Final Fantasy at the moment. So much so that the entire playable cast of XV or miserable black-leather clad emo mooks.

For types of RPG characters i do like and would prefer to play as;

I like characters with a mission, Milla and Velvet from Tales of Xiia and Berseria are good examples of this. Their personal mission means that the plot and narrative never lose focus. Never dilly-dally on another character if it isnt important to them getting things done. Through that kind of character you can feel the story pushing forward rather than just mooching about with your roadtrip boyband buddies until you see your home town getting torn up on the news.

So my favourite RPG type characters are ones who get **** done. :)

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
It's pretty cliché, but I like the archetype of a hero who starts out trying to save their friends from a fairly local threat after getting fed up with injustice, and in the process uncovers something bigger, barely survives the encounter with it, gets saved by and joins an underground resistance movement, and ends up trying to save the whole world once they release how big, established, and serious the threat is.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think a great character is a great character whatever type of game they are in. And I don't mind the archetypes the typical JRPG protagonists fall into. In fact it is one of the appeals of a JRPG.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I think the worst RPG archetype is the Cloud/emo type.

I dont want to spend hundreds of hours saving the world as someone who quite clearly doesnt care or cant see beyond his own personal problems for the sake of others. This type of character is rife in Final Fantasy at the moment. So much so that the entire playable cast of XV or miserable black-leather clad emo mooks.

For types of RPG characters i do like and would prefer to play as;

I like characters with a mission, Milla and Velvet from Tales of Xiia and Berseria are good examples of this. Their personal mission means that the plot and narrative never lose focus. Never dilly-dally on another character if it isnt important to them getting things done. Through that kind of character you can feel the story pushing forward rather than just mooching about with your roadtrip boyband buddies until you see your home town getting torn up on the news.

So my favourite RPG type characters are ones who get **** done. :)
Whoa whoa whoa there missy. In the real Final Fantasy 7, Cloud is never really emo. He is a smart ass, yes. But not really emo.

Now, in the expanded FF7 universe, with game upon game ruining the FF7 world. Yes. Cloud is emo there, and they ruined Cloud that way, but in FF7. Cloud really isn't emo.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Whoa whoa whoa there missy. In the real Final Fantasy 7, Cloud is never really emo. He is a smart ass, yes. But not really emo.

Now, in the expanded FF7 universe, with game upon game ruining the FF7 world. Yes. Cloud is emo there, and they ruined Cloud that way, but in FF7. Cloud really isn't emo.
can you name some examples? b/c for some reason what sticks out to me was in the beginning when barret was telling cloud how avalanche is trying to save the world from being destroyed or something and he just says "I don't care as long as I get paid"

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
can you name some examples? b/c for some reason what sticks out to me was in the beginning when barret was telling cloud how avalanche is trying to save the world from being destroyed or something and he just says "I don't care as long as I get paid"
That really is one of the only quotes that are really "edgy" and this is not even taking into account his character development throughout the entire game. In most of the game itself, Cloud is well, he is a smart ass.
Some examples:
Cloud Strife: All right, everyone, let's mosey.

Cid Highwind: Damn! Again! Stop sayin' it like a wimp! Can't you say 'Move out!' or somethin'?

Cloud Strife: Move out!
Yeah.... I really would reconsider a character being emo/edgy if he uses the word "mosey"
Yuffie: C'mon Cloud say something...

Cloud: ...something.
Rude: Do you know who I am?

Cloud: From the Turks, right?

Rude: Well if you know, then this won't take long. It's difficult to explain what the Turks do...

Cloud: Kidnapping, right?

Rude: To put it negatively... you could say that.
Cloud Strife: Aeris... she was smilin' till the end.
Aeris: You remember me?

Cloud Strife: Yeah, you're the slum drunk.
Mukki: Isn't bathing great...? It soothes your heart. How is it, bubby? Feels good, huh?

Cloud Strife: ...I don't feel good. Let me out...

Mukki: You'll get used to it. Try counting to ten. Hey bubby, how old are you?

Cloud Strife: [while counting] Eight... Twenty one...

Mukki: You're less then half my age. I'm so jealous. So how 'bout it...? Do you wanna join my "Young bubby's" group?

Cloud Strife: ...Seven... Six... Not to be rude or anything, but could you go do someone else?

Mukki: Well, if that's how you feel... too bad. We have a trip planned at a cabin out in the country.

Cloud Strife: Five... Four... Three... Two... One... Alright, that's ten. I'm gettin' out.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
Let's see, an RPG protagonist should be easy to identify with, build immersion. Can't think of any to be honest. All RPG protagonists are jerks, they break into your house, steal your stuff, then leave without saying thank you. I play a lot of JRPGs and several RPGs, I know my protagonists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom