• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Magic Bar...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Sorry if I've posted a thread similar to this, I'm just romantically attached to the Magic Meter is all.

Okay, so the lovely green meter that sits in the top left of the screen in most Zelda games has been absent for a good 4-5 games so far. I'm wondering why Nintendo is avoiding implementing magic and a meter? For Twilight Princess, I can understand as that game was almost completely industrialized (cannons, really?). For Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, I do not understand it at all as both of those games were more magical than they were realistic. And, if they do not make an appearance in Skyward Sword, I will be completely dumbfounded.

I'm tired of having only regular arrows with Light Arrows being plot devices (see: Mystery Lady's acquiring the arrows and their use in TP and partially in ST) that aren't used directly by the player. We could possibly be getting sword beams in SS (I haven't seen them in the newer E3 demos or trailers so I dunno), but it doesn't appear that they will require magic and they have a horribly long startup time. The shield meter looks cool, but that's just for realism. Where's the magic? When will the bar return to it's proper place?

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I dislike the idea of unlimited magic so if they do give Link magic abilities than the best way to limit the amount of times he can use spells would be to put the meter back in place. For me it's not just about the meter but the whole aspect of magic in Zelda, in some games it's there and in others it's totally missing. In it's absence, we ask why as a question but the answer is just as unsolvable as the secret of magic. Sometime the devs just say hey let's not put it in there for a few games. Even though that whole area of a video game can really flesh out gameplay in ways that realistic games can't because those other games are so grounded in reality. If they were to bring back magic as a whole we could see things like green potions and blue potions again. which affect the magic meter directly. Also we could see the eye of truth again or a magical mask, or even a rod like the ice rod.

but I see why you like the meter so much it is a representation of Link's magical power and in a newer game it might look even cooler than ever before like if the oil meter for the lantern in TP could have been green as well for magic. If they could make another meter like that then in that regard it would be the best HUD in Zelda and would most likely be the best in it's variety of spells and equipment that require magic. and since you mentioned it the fire and ice arrows could show up in SS because of it's WW style and the bow is in the game. I wouldn't be impossible at least. The magic bar is due for a return and SS could be that game. I'll keep my fingers crossed in hopes that they put it back where it belongs. in the top corner for what could be the last game. After Wii U comes out the HUD could be displayed on the controller screen and the magic meter would be could be located there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom