• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Magic and Abilities of Dumbledore

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
The Magic and Abilities of Dumbledore

Albus_Dumbledore_(HBP_promo)_3.jpg

In this brief article, I will catalog and describe the magical items and abilities of Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore as portrayed in the various novels of J.K. Rowling as well as the eight Harry Potter movies that feature the character. This is the second of hopefully a three part article series. You can find Part 1: The Magic and Abilities of Gandalf here. If I get around to making a third article, it will deal with pitting both wizards against one another in a wizard fight and trying to determine who would be the victor.

Albus Dumbledore is one of the most famous and interesting wizard characters in modern fantasy fiction. His calm and mentoring demeanor, his knowledge of the Wizarding World, his encouraging philosophical outlook on life, his value of love and friendship, and his ominous command over powerful magic makes for a truly inspiring hero who is beloved by millions of people around the world, which is staggering considering the short time he’s been in existence on the written page. As I mentioned in the first article, I often find myself interested in crossover debates, especially those debates concerning who would win in a fight between two heroes or villains. In this case it’s Albus Dumbledore vs. Gandalf the White that’s peaked my interest. I’m really not sure who would win yet, so in order to organize my thoughts and lay out a clear map of their respective abilities, I’m writing these short articles. While it is perhaps more interesting and certainly more intellectual to compare and contrast these two wizards from literary or philosophical points of view, I’ve decided to be more superficial and focus on what 13 year old boys have been debating for years: In a neutral environment, in a fight to the death without the aid of other beings or creatures, who would win? In this kind of scenario I believe it is weapons and magical abilities that will ultimately decide such a contest, hence the focus of these articles.

It should be noted that I’m considering the prowess of Dumbledore during his tenure as Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, especially during Harry Potter’s time there as a student. It’s generally assumed that the older and wiser Dumbledore gets, the more powerful he becomes. Alright, let’s get started and see how stacked the greatest wizard in Earth’s history really is.

Dumbledore_and_Elder_Wand.JPG

Weapons and Items:

Dumbledore had a plethora of magical items and potions at his disposal, most of them being found in his office at Hogwarts. However, he carried with him only a very small amount of things. For the sake of this article, I will be giving Dumbledore three items: The Sword of Godric Gryffindor, the Deluminator, and the Elder Wand. I am not including Fawkes, his pet phoenix, simply because I don’t think Fawkes qualifies as an “item” or “weapon”. A companion and battle aid, sure, but not an item. Since the rules I made for the wizard duel with Gandalf state that it will take place on neutral ground and consist only of the two wizards, Fawkes is disqualified for the same that Gwaihir the Eagle is disqualified.

Sword of Gryffindor: The Sword of Gryffindor was a goblin-made sword owned by the famed wizard Godric Gryffindor, one of the four founders of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The sword was made to Gryffindor's specifications by Ragnuk the First, King of the Goblins. Not a very long sword, it was fashioned from pure silver, and it is inset with rubies, the stones used to symbolize the Gryffindor House at Hogwarts. Gryffindor's name is engraved just beneath the hilt. It has the ability to materialize when needed, as well as imbibe any elements that could make the sword stronger, for instance, after Harry Potter used it to kill the Basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets, it became imbued with Basilisk venom making it much more powerful. The sword is notorious for being able to destroy horcruxes such as the Gaunt Family ring and Voldemort’s snake, Nagini. Crafted a thousand years ago by goblins, it is infused with strong enchantments making it a very powerful weapon against the forces of evil. In the hands of a true Gryffindor, the sword’s power is something to fear.

Fi_2760_0_4.jpg

Deluminator: The Deluminator, also known as the Put-Outer, is a device used by Albus Dumbledore (the first known owner and designer of the one Deluminator known to exist) to remove light sources from the immediate surroundings, as well as to bestow them. It looks like a standard silver cigarette lighter, but when opened it immediately captures the lighting in its surrounding area, or if the light is already captured, it releases it back. Its primary usage is to remove the light of a given area so as to create stealthy conditions. One wonders however what its impact would be on Gandalf’s illumination or blinding light spells. As Ron Weasley also discovered, it acts like a homing device guiding its carrier to the places or people he/she wants to find via Apparition.

thumbs_deluminator-mini.jpg

Elder Wand: The Elder Wand, also known as the Deathstick and the Wand of Destiny, is one of the fabled Deathly Hallows, granted to the wizard Antioch Peverell by Death itself. It is by far the most powerful wand in the history of wizardkind. Being so powerful, it is able to perform feats of magic that would normally be considered impossible. It is rumored to be unbeatable, but this has been refuted several times. Nonetheless, beating the wizard controlling it in a duel is especially unlikely. It also has a special sentient attachment to its master. It is known that the Elder Wand's core is the tail-hair of a Thestral, a potent yet tricky substance to master that can only be handled by a witch or wizard who is capable of accepting death, since only by such can it be utilized at full power. The Elder Wand is ancient and made of brown elder wood. It is fifteen inches long. The Elder Wand, as well as being more powerful than any other wand, is noticeably unique from other wands in its appearance, particularly because it bears carvings that resemble clusters of elderberries running down its length.

Elder_Wand.jpg

Magical Abilities:

Dumbledore is considered by most in the Wizarding World to be the most powerful wizard of his time, if not all time, and his extraordinary mastery of the magical arts are greatly admired and greatly feared by many, even others of outstanding magical talent. Even Voldemort, who thought of himself as the greatest and strongest wizard of them all, had acknowledged that Dumbledore was a very great wizard. From a very young age, Dumbledore had always shown great magical abilities. During his education at Hogwarts, Dumbledore was known as the most brilliant student to have ever stepped into the school, winning "every prize of note that the school offered", and in his N.E.W.T.s, "... did things with a wand [the examiner had] never seen before". Dumbledore is primarily self-taught, although he "had access to superb teachers at Hogwarts.” While he is not vain, Dumbledore also exhibits no false modesty, readily acknowledging that he is unusually intelligent and an exceptionally powerful wizard.

Dumbledore uses his wand to focus the majority of his magical activities, but he is also an expert at nonverbal and wandless spells and is famous as an alchemist who had worked with Nicolas Flamel, the only known maker of the Sorcerer’s Stone, and is credited with discovering the twelve uses of dragon's blood. His Patronus, or spirit guardian, takes the form of a mighty phoenix (*divine). His knowledge of the most powerful kind of magic, love, is extensive. He taught Harry Potter about its very essence, and the innate power of his ability to love his parents, which eventually helped Harry realize his destiny to kill Lord Voldemort and protected him from Voldemort’s evil. While some people such as Antonin Dolohov, as seen during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries, seemed to produce lesser magic when using it non-verbally, Dumbledore was capable of extraordinary feats such as conjuring hundreds of squishy purple sleeping bags to accommodate the students of Hogwarts without saying a word (*conjuration). While in the Horcrux Cave, Dumbledore proved capable of foiling the defenses set up by Lord Voldemort using wandless magic (*divination). He also performed the Aresto Momentum spell, without a wand, to save Harry from falling to his death at the hands of the Dementors (*universal). He could also light and put out candles, both with the wave of his hand (*evocation). Dumbledore is also well known for having created unique magical spells and devices. He also developed a method to communicate using Patronus charms, which he taught to the members of the Order of the Phoenix. He was an expert potioneer as well as an unparalled master of Transfiguration magic.

Dumbledore is known to be prodigiously talented magically, and was admittedly more skilful than the second most powerful dark wizard of all time, Gellert Grindelwald. He was also the only wizard to ever be feared by the most dangerous dark wizard of all time, Lord Voldemort, whom he forced to retreat during their only known duel.

*Pulling from both books and movies, one can catalog (though certainly not exhaustively) Dumbledore’s magical abilities. To help label the different kinds of abilities he possesses neutrally, I will include Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition schools of magic descriptors in the list below with an “*”

Trivial Abilities:

1. The ability to render himself invisible without the use of an Invisibility cloak. To achieve such a state, he has to use an extremely powerful Disillusionment Charm. He is also capable of using the Human-presence-revealing Spell, wandlessly and non-verbally to detect the presence of people who are invisible, even if they are under an Invisibility Cloak. (*conjuration/illusion/universal)

2. The ability to understand multiple languages of the Wizarding world, including the mysterious Parseltongue. (*universal)

3. Create simple and amusing illusions. (*illusion)

4. Disarm opponents with hand or wand gestures. (*universal)

5. Cause objects of many sizes to disappear from view as well as make them puff out of existence. (*evocation/illusion)

6. Can reveal hidden magic in places enchanted with it. (*divinity)

7. Can create bright light at the tip of his wand or send out a brightly glowing magical flare to help light the way in dark places. (*evocation)

8. Dim or create small flames with nothing more than a wave of his hand. (*evocation)

9. Ability to cause minor to intermediate things to occur magically using his thoughts alone. (*evocation/universal)

Powerful Abilities:

10. Proficient at Occlumency and Legilimency. He is able to peer deep inside peoples’ minds and correctly decipher what they are thinking. He is also capable of keeping anyone from accessing his own mind using Legilimency enchantments. He appears to be immune to mind control of any kind and capable of reading the intentions and thoughts of almost anyone. (*divination/enchantment)

11. Use of fire as his primary magical weapon, such as a fiery rope spell, setting things on fire without actually burning them, creating a deadly fire cyclone to hold off hordes of enemies, manipulate and focus giant fireballs, and is able to conjure Gubraithian Fire, or everlasting flames. (*evocation)

12. Use of water spells as powerful weapons, such as when he used water to encase Voldemort. (*evocation)

13. Ability to use extremely powerful charms. He can cast a corporeal Patronus charm (in the form of a phoenix) as well as create new parameters for the Patronus, allowing it to be used as a form of communication (with the caster speaking with their own voice through the Patronus). He has mastery over all the standard charms and spells taught at Hogwarts and an unknown amount of more powerful esoteric spells that he learned on his own. He is capable of casting the three unforgivable curses as well as the Fidelius Charm, an extremely difficult and potent spell which can seal secrets into people’s souls or render locations invisible and intangible. Some specifics will be described below. (*divine/abjuration/evocation/conjuration/enchantment/alteration/transmutation/divination/illusion/necromancy/universal)

14. Create powerful shields of many varieties around himself and others to block magical or physical assaults. (*abjuration)

15. Can psychokinetically repel, push, pull, trip, flip, move, and levitate objects using his wand. Can psychokinetically cause physical things to happen in his immediate surroundings, such as move, create, and activate devices or create powerful illusions in a room. (*illusion/evocation/universal)

16. Can zap, electrocute, or send shockwaves with his spells. Is able to use all the hard to classify specialized offensive and defensive spells. (*evocation)

17. Can create powerful illusions and probably change his physical appearance, making him a metamorphmagus. (*illusion/transmutation)

18. Create very bright and powerful Prior Incantatem magic when dueling with an opponent with similar wand elements. (*evocation)

19. Transfigure and alter animals, people, and objects. (*transmutation/alteration)

20. Use counter-spells in order to cancel the effects of the spells of others or to negate the enchantments on objects or places. (*universal)

21. Can put powerful enchantments on people or objects, severely altering their nature. (*enchantment)

22. Create and maintain powerful protective spells around certain places. His work to keep the Death Eaters from entering Hogwarts grounds is an example of this incredibly powerful magic. (*evocation)

23. While not confirmed, it is assumed he is also capable of being an animagus, or a shapeshifter that can choose animal forms. (*transmutation)

24. Use extremely powerful clairvoyance. His demonstrated abilities in this area seem to suggest that he can read people’s minds to a large degree, and he is in possession of abilities allowing him to see across time. He can also divine the nature of things yet to happen or of enemies from a great distance. (*divination)

25. Defend himself expertly against the dark magical arts. While never practicing it himself, he is very capable of defending himself against most of what it has to offer, with a few exceptions. (*abjuration)

26. Stun, knock out, disorient, and confuse others. (*enchantment/evocation)

27. Cause memory loss. Not that’d he ever do it, but he can if he wants. (*enchantment)

28. Transfiguring objects, for instance, during his battle with Voldemort in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries, he was able to cast a glass-to-sand shield that immediately transfigured the thousands of glass shards that were directed at him and Harry by Voldemort into mere sand en route. (*transmutation/alteration/abjuration)

29. Dumbledore was a skilled broomstick flyer. Shortly before his death, he flew to the Hogwarts Astronomy tower, despite being weakened by the Potion of Despair. (*universal)

30. Cast powerful jinxes. (*evocation/enchantment)

31. Create and destroy objects from thin air such as sofa chairs. (*conjuration)

32. Apparate, or transport/teleport, himself from one place to another across both short and great distances with pinpoint precision, even when locked in combat. He used this ability to avoid some of Voldemort's spells during their duel before counter-attacking. He can also apparate silently which only a master of Apparition can do. (*conjuration)

33. Definitely a lot more.

If you know of anything I’ve missed, please put it in a comment so I can add it to the list. What do you think about Dumbledore’s powers? Who would win in an epic wizard fight between Albus Dumbledore and Gandalf the White? Now that you have some information on both of these powerful wizards, it’s time to start thinking about the final showdown. The greatest wizard in Earth’s history versus the greatest wizard in all of Middle-earth. The showdown article that will pit these two together and come to a conclusion is coming soon.

"Well – it's just that you seem to be labouring under the delusion that I am going to – what is the phrase – 'Come quietly.' I am afraid I am not going to come quietly at all, Cornelius. I have absolutely no intention of being sent to Azkaban. I could break out, of course – but what a waste of time, and frankly, I can think of a whole host of things I would rather be doing." – Albus Dumbledore

Albus Dumbledore vs. Lord Voldemort

[video=youtube;URbvT_pkAjI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URbvT_pkAjI[/video]

Albus Dumbledore vs. the Inferi

[video=youtube;BKxk9-z-dwY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKxk9-z-dwY[/video]

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Dumbledore ia definitely the most powerful and skilled wizard (that we know of) in Harry Potter mythology. I think many fans assume this belongs to Harry because he was the only known person who could actually kill Voldemort. Harry could only do this by a complete coincidence and the Dark Lord unintentionally created his worst enemy. However Harry wouldn't have come close to accomplishing his goal if it wasn't for Dumbledore and his second in command, Snape.

I think Dumbledore started out as any great wizard and not without his troubles growing up - his father being imprisoned in Azkaban and his younger sister dying at the hands of a three way duel. So I guess you could somewhat compare his tough upbringing to the likes of Harry and Voldemort. I like to compare him to Voldemort more so as I can draw comparisons between the two. Both wanted power. It's no lie that Dumbledore was after the three Hallows - it is never really known why, but we can only imagine it was to be known as the greatest wizard of all time. Voldemort was the same, but he was more focused on his death and how to prevent it. Also both seemed to share a view on wizards > muggles. Dumbledore didn't go to the lengths that the Dark Lord did, but he certainly shared similarities views at a time.

Anyway, Dumbledore changed after the death of his sister as he realised that his quest for ultimate power was in fact his biggest weakness. This is where you separate Riddle and Dumbledore. Riddle was somewhat blinded by his quest - Dumbledore was certainly the wiser out of the two, which was the difference between one being "good" and one being "evil". But I would agree with Dumbledore being extremely powerful and this was mainly due to his wisdom, not his skill or arsenal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom