• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Lost Woods aren't The Lost Woods

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Specifically referring to BotW, of course. I don't think the Lost Woods we see there are the same Lost Woods we see in other games, or the Lost Woods at all. In most games, the woods are laid out in a very linear format, in a way that is maze-like and loops back on itself. But in BotW it has a specific path you must follow, otherwise you... disappear into the fog. Very not maze-like. So that's where my idea comes in- that it isn't the Lost Woods at all. When you first meet Hestu, he tells you this-
The children of the forest must have taken the Korok seeds from my beloved maracas. I never thought I would be the target of one of their pranks. Shoko..
First off, it seems overkill to hide under a rock on some corner of the continent for a little prank. But other than that, we never see them pulling pranks, as Hestu implies they do quite often. But when you go off course in the "Lost Woods", you hear the sound of Koroks laughing before being deposited back at the entrance. So perhaps the entire woods are a prank from the Koroks, designed to deter people from entering their home. They used the idea of the past Lost Woods as a prank for the present.

According to my theory on how I think the maps line up, I think you are right on the money, save for A Link to the Past and Between Worlds. As far as how the woods operate differently, from those titles to Breath of the wild, It could be the Koroks. They, neither the the Kokiri show up in those titles, so we don't know if they are there or not, but they are indeed active in the time of Breath of the Wild.

I agree that the current Lost Woods are not the same as from other games. In my ALttP/ALBW map overlay, the Lost Woods are around Batrea Lake and in OoT, they're around a similar location.

The ability to get "lost" in the Lost Woods seems to be associated with the Deku moreso than the Koroks or Kokiri. And I've seen theories that those dead trees located in the Lost Woods are a species of Deku.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I agree that the current Lost Woods are not the same as from other games. In my ALttP/ALBW map overlay, the Lost Woods are around Batrea Lake and in OoT, they're around a similar location.

The ability to get "lost" in the Lost Woods seems to be associated with the Deku moreso than the Koroks or Kokiri. And I've seen theories that those dead trees located in the Lost Woods are a species of Deku.
I heard that theory too, in a video by the Masked Nintendo Bandit. Aside from looking kinda spooky, the dead trees don't really appear to do much, nor do their expressions hold malice. I assumed that if it was a trick, the Koroks could have made the trees look mega spooky to scare off unwanted visitors. Or, the dead dekus are possessed and enjoy messing with people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom