• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Lord of The Rings: TV series announced

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-amazon/index.html

A Lord of The Rings TV series is being made and it is said to take place before The Fellowship of The Ring. I don't know if this means right before or a long time before. If it was before The Hobbit then they would have said so I assume the series takes place in between the events of The hobbit and The Lord of The Rings. I Iove the original trilogy but found the Hobbit films to be mediocre movies made worse by excessive use of CGI. I hope that this new series turns out to be good ( and that orcs are played by real actors again and are not animated monstrosities) and I'll be giving it a watch when it comes out.

What do you think about this announcement?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I wished they made a series about the Silmarillion. That would make an amazing bunch of tales! i don't know what to expect. I hope they don't exaggerate with the hype.
Yes, I'm with this. I'd like to see them adapt the silmarillion and stories from the book of lost tales. There is tons of great story in there to make a good show.

Although idk how I feel about the announcement overall. The Middle Earth story just seems better suited to films overall than TV, but we'll see.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I wished they made a series about the Silmarillion. That would make an amazing bunch of tales! i don't know what to expect. I hope they don't exaggerate with the hype.

They said there is room for spinoffs in the article so you never know.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The Silmarillion just wouldn't work as a TV show or a movie. There's too much happening to make a movie and too little dialogue to create a TV show. The Sil acts as more of an ambiguous telling of history thousands of years ago. The status of it being a series of forgotten tales should be kept as it is.

If it was hypothetically done right, then sure. I really don't see how though. It would require writers making up hours of dialogue to fill the scenes between the big moments. It would virtually be more of a fan fic.

Djinn

and Tonic
I feel like all they are wanting to do is rehash the same story with the same characters so they can bank on name recognition. Despite other books having hundreds of thousands of years worth of stories in them.

This just seems like a bad idea.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
~sigh~ Why not, I s'pose?

I've always mocked the hard core ringer purists who scoff at every movie adaptation of Tolkien's work like it's some sort of blasphemy. The Hobbit movies were standard hollywood cynicism distilled, but they're no godawful travesty. And even Tolkien fans would nitpick about every little detail in the LotR movies, which is silly.

But after seeing what Warner Bros has done to Tolkien's work in Orc Dominatrix Simulator: The Money Farm, it's obvious by now that this franchise is just getting whored out to whoever's in the market for a quick cash grab.

I hope this isn't the case here.

Tolkien has precious few complete works on Middle Earth. There isn't much to adapt beyond what his son hasn't published from unfinished notes and manuscripts. And while the idea of a shared universe like Star Wars, where many people contribute to the ongoing development and mythology of the work, is certainly compelling for such a vast and thoroughly realized fantasy as Middle Earth, I am beginning to agree with the ringer's finally. No one else intends to do it justice like Tolkien and Jackson did.

Still, one could argue that this is what Tolkien intended for Middle Earth to be in the first place- a modern English mythology.

Of course it is pointless to speculate on the nature of the show's plot or premise. It could be a prelude to the War of the Ring, a la Shadow's of Middle Earth. I don't think I would mind an honest adaptation that features the return of beloved characters from the movies. Heck, even if some of the same actors returned! But I'll appreciate fresh faces anyway.

But if it's Amazon, I won't be watching it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom