• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda The Looks Department

We all know that despite TP being hailed as the 'realistic' Zelda, that every game, TP included, or very stylised in every respect. If Zelda was realistically designed then it wouldn't be fun. Basically, currently in Zelda anything that sin't cel-shaded in the modern age of Zelda instalments would probably be described as 'realistic'.

Now, on one hand we have OoT3D a sublime looking game with solid models the looks crisp and clear and smooth and just downright gorgeous, have you looked up at the moon at night?

And on the other hand we have TP, a Gamecube game, the Gamecube was pretty powerful but a lot of people criticise TP for its graphics alone, not that they were too realistic or dark or what have you, but because of the jagged edges and how grainy things could sometimes look along with all the other niggles.

These two games dont share the same style but are what Zelda fan would consider 'realistic' or 'traditional' art styles and graphics. But on a technical aspect on how the graphics themselves look, move, and operate within the game, which is better OoT3D or TP?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
It's hard to say, but I feel TP had the better graphics. OoT 3d didn't look right. I thought it was too bright. Also, Link looked like he was sculpted out of clay. TP nailed the darker and more realistic graphics. I never think that much about graphics (Wii>PS3/Xbox360), but TP had a nice amount of detail mixed with a primary focus on the expansive enviroments. They were able to nail all the different visual styles Link's travel necessitated. It was crisp and realistic to my liking.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
TP, to my own eye, has far less jagged edges than OoT3D does, but that's due to the nature of the GC hardware versus 3DS. The actual art direction, though, I prefer in Ocarina of Time 3D. It allows for better animation from what I've seen, and it also permits a far more diverse range of colors. TP's art style screams bland, and only permits bland.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
I liked TPs better, but this was probably because I had the 3D on for most of OoT3D, and it makes things all jagged-looking. OoT3D definitely had better graphics, but I liked TPs more.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I love the look of TP, but I can see the grainy and jagged edges, so I can understand people having issues with it. But OoT3D's look is downright perfect, so my vote goes to that :)

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
OoT3DS doesn't ask me to readjust my screen because, for whatever reason, the devs decided to make the game dark in a very literal aspect. And I'm not talking "It's the twilight realm!", though frankly a stronger contrast between twilight and normal Hyrule would have been more impressive than squinting regardless of passing the 'visibility test' at the beginning of TP. Possibly a Gamecube issue, but since that's what it was initially developed for I don't think that should matter. So that's a point in OoT3DS's favour.

As a result of some unpleasant eye trouble a few years back, I can no longer effectively view 3D, less so the 3DS's glasses-less version. So I can't see all the stunning 3D that they implemented... but I can still see and play the game and it looks stunning. I face no hindrances playing this game, and I do love how they were able to bring everything so close to the original concept art this time around. So there's point 2.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
OoT 3DS is my 2nd favorite look behind TP's style. The only real problems I have with OoT 3DS is the lack of detail and how colorful it is. It's just hard to get immersed in a world that's so colorful that it simply can't be real.

DarkLink17

Well then
Have to take the side of Oot3D, just a fantastic reboot of a great game. The gameplay in my opinion was unflawed, graphics and all. TP is still one of my favorite titles though!

Twilight Princess has the better graphics for sure. Even though the graphics are dark and depressing, in oot3d the graphics are just too cartoony for me. Also the way the graphics are in Twilight Princess is perfect for the plot of the game. The graphics is dark and so is the plot, in my eyes. The graphics in oot3d do not fit the plot in my eyes. It is just like having wind waker with twilight princess' graphics. In oot3d the graphics should have been more life like and not so cartoony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom