• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art The Legend of Zelda: Urban Legacy (fanfiction, PG-13)

Octo Rocked

Dr. Octorokapus BLAAAAAH!
Okay, so, this is just a little project I decided to start working on. I don't write fanfiction (I tend to look down on it), so the fact that I am, in fact, writing fanfiction proves just how much of a Zelda fanboy I am. Inspiration comes largely from "There Will be Brawl."

Prologue

The thin man leapt from his motorcycle, unsheathing his sword halfway through a flip, using the extra momentum to slice the hellspawn he faced in half vertically. He landed behind its ravaged body, instantly sheathing his sword and stumbling into a run in an attempt to reach his motorcycle before it lost all momentum. His leather boots padded silently on the asphalt beneath him as he ran, leaping onto the motorcycle the moment before it would have tipped over, revving the throttle, steadying the motorcycle as inertia took effect. He risked a glance behind him—he was still being chased. They were closer now. He shouldn’t have made that move, but the figure before him had appeared so quickly that attempting to draw his sword would have caused him to lose complete control.

He scanned the street for anything that could help him. A ramp, perhaps, or….

A narrow alley.

He made a sharp turn to the left, flying down the alleyway. It wouldn’t stop them from coming, but it would at least forced them to thin out a bit, a maneuver that would slow them down. One that would give him just enough time to evade them.

He caused his motorcycle to swerve just a little bit as he sped through the passage, letting the tail hit a trash can, knocking it over. He grinned as he heard the clank behind him as it tipped. Anything to slow them down just that little bit more.

He made a sharp right turn at the end of the alley, checking behind him to make sure they were close enough to see. He went far enough that his engine would be too muffled to hear, then skidded around the block, heading the other direction. He moved slowly, keeping the roar of his motorcycle quiet enough to remain inconspicuous. Just another motorist, taking a leisurely drive through the city. Then, after he was sure he was in the clear, he cranked the engine to its full potential, dashing away into the night.

Nearing an hour later, he pulled into a garage at a small, run-down house. “He’s back!” came an energetic young voice from inside. There was a scuffling noise, and the door opened. The man grinned sheepishly as the girl behind it stared at him.

“And just where have you been?” she demanded. She was about seventeen and stood at just over five feet tall, her blonde hair pulled back into two braids, a simple blue dress covering her. She had a tender, childlike face. However, when she was angry, her gentle blue eyes would transform into a glare that could easily cut iron in half.

The man pulled off his sword dark green trenchcoat. “It doesn’t matter,” he said, hanging them on a hook as he brushed past her into the house. “You’re going to berate me anyway, so you might as well get it over with.”

“Colin and I have both been worried sick. It’s always like this when you go out. You never tell us where you’re going, you always stay out too long, and you always come back hurt.”

“Well, sis,” he said, pulling off the long, green hat off of his dark blonde hair, “I’m fine today. No injuries, no incidents—”

“Is that why I could hear you coming from three miles away?”

He sighed. “Aryll…look.” He pulled the glove off of his left hand. “You see this marking?” She nodded. “And do you know what it means?”

“No, I don’t. You refuse to tell me.”

He pulled the glove back on. “And you don’t have to know either. The less you know, the safer you are. All you need to know is that what I’m doing is dangerous, but important. Very important. I wish I didn’t have this burden, but I have to do this. I’m sorry. I just don’t want you and Colin involved.”

The man felt a small object barrel into his legs, grasping them firmly. He bent down and ruffled the small boy’s hair. “Hey, Colin. You should be asleep, shouldn’t you?”

The boy looked up, the remaining tears of a fresh cry in his eyes. He was a small thing, only six years old, “I was scared,” he whimpered. “I was waiting to make sure you were okay.”

He chuckled. “Well, I’m here, and I’m great. Come on, buddy. Time for you to go to bed.” He looked up at the girl. “Aryll? Could you get him? I need to step out for a second. Get a bit of fresh air.”

“Weren’t you just—”

“Aryll.”

She threw her hands up in the air. “Fine, be that way, then. Come on, Colin. Let’s get some sleep.”

The man shut the door quietly behind him as he stepped outside, sitting down on the front steps. He took a deep breath of the cool night air as he checked
the time. Any second now.

As if on cue, a cloaked, hooded figure stepped out of the night. Right on time. The figure approached quickly, the black cloak billowing behind. As it came closer, two slender hands reached up and removed the hood, revealing his contact’s face.

A woman’s face looked up at him. It was gentle and fair, yet stern, blending to form an expression of dignity and power. Her dark brown hair was worn unadorned, save for two thick strands pulled into braids that dangled in front of her ears.

“Are you the man I hired?” she asked.

“Yes, you’ve come to the right place,” he said. “I’ll be your bodyguard.”

She nodded. “Thank you. I explained the situation, did I not?”

“Barely, but I’ve got all I need to know for now. Right now, I have a question.” He pulled off his left glove. “You’ve got one of these markings too, don’t you, senator?” He held up the hand, displaying the marking on it. Her eyes widened in disbelief as she saw it. It was a triangle, consisting of three smaller, golden triangles.

She looked down at her own hands, covered by long, white gloves. “Well,” she mused, “I would have never guessed I had chosen you. It would appear that we cannot escape the cycle. Fate has drawn the three of us together again.”

“Three?” She nodded. “Who’s the third?”

She looked up from her gloved hands. “He’s the man you’re protecting me from. Now, I think I already know it, but what is your name?”

“I don’t know,” the man said quietly. “My past is a complete mystery to me.”

“What about the children? Your family?”

“Them?” He nodded back towards the house. “None of us are really related. We’re all orphans who managed to pick each other up when we were down and get off the streets. They don’t know my name.”

“Well, you must identify yourself somehow. Even if you don’t know your real name, you must have given yourself one, or gotten one from someone else. Give me that name.”

The man looked up at her, staring into her eyes. “Link,” he said with authority. “My name is Link.”

Last edited:
F

FierceDeityLink

Awesome story. I like how made it sorta Modern Day. Keep up the good work.

Octo Rocked

Hey, hey, who's ready for a boring update filled with exposition that you probably already know about but that I need to put in anyway? Don't worry, the story actually starts kicking off next chapter!

Legacy of the Goddesses

“Link,” the woman repeated quietly. “Yes…yes, of course it is. And I assume you know who I am.”

“Of course, Senator Zelda,” Link said. “There are few who wouldn’t recognize your face.”

“So, you know nothing of your past, correct?”

“Yes,” he said, not knowing where she was going with the statement.

“And yet you still pick the name Link. Well, this certainly does prove it’s you.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“Link, let me…well, let me explain a few things. You’ve been seeing creatures. Creatures no one else can seem to see. Things that are just barely glimpsed on the edge of reality.” He merely nodded, surprised she knew so much. “And you feel somehow called to combat them, as if driven by some greater force, as if you’re called by the goddesses themselves.”

He snorted. “The goddesses. Just a fairy tale to bring hope to the stupid.”

The senator smirked. “How amusing. It appears that they’ve chosen an atheist. Link, what part of you can believe the goddesses don’t exist? The mark on your hand—that’s a piece of the Triforce, and you know it. Why would you be fighting imaginary demons if not for the goddesses themselves? How can you possibly think them fairy tales?”

“Have you seen this world?” he roared. “I had to pick myself off of the streets! I fight just to survive every day! Colin? The boy is seven years old, and he’s already probably been through seen more than a posh senator like you will even hear about in your lifetime. And Aryll?” His hands balled into fists at the thought. “Aryll,” he hissed through clenched teeth. “The things that that girl has had to do—the things she’s had to go through just to make it from one day to the next…. And it’s not just us. Look around you, senator. Hyrule is rotting. You yourself play a game of deceit, pretending that you’re doing good for this nation. What the hell have you done for it?”

“We are working for the good of Hyrule!” she retorted.

“You’re competing to see who can come up with the best lies to feed the people! Hyrule’s problems are getting worse, not better! Don’t ask me how I can call the goddesses lies. If they’re out there, why aren’t they doing anything?”

She reached out as he seethed and gently grabbed his hand, bringing it up. His eyes fell on the marking. “They are doing something, Link,” she said gently. “They’ve sent you.”

The statement hit him hard. He had never thought of it that way at all before. “You’re the answer,” she continued. “You, Link, are their talisman. Their arm. The mediator between Hyrule and the Sacred Realm. You want this world to change? Fine. Go ahead and change it. You have the power.”

He sat down on the front steps. “Who…who are you?”

“I was getting to that, right before you spurned the very deities who chose you. You know who I am. Senator Zelda Hyrule. It’s no coincidence that my surname is the same as the name of this nation. Back when Hyrule was still a monarchy, my family line sat on the throne for as long as the histories can remember. The line was never direct, and it would often be a nephew or cousin to take the throne, but it was always a Hyrule.

“Now, the king’s first daughter was always named Zelda. It’s a long story, and an interesting one, but unimportant. Now, I’m no princess, but my father was a direct descendant of the last king of Hyrule. He named me Zelda in honor of the tradition, although I’m sensing the influence of the goddesses behind it. You see, in the histories, there are three names that constantly surface. One is my own. Another, Link, is yours. The third is Ganondorf. Or Ganon.”

“Or?”

“Well, it’s a bit complicated. Ganondorf was simply a man. A man with power and influence, yes, but just a man. However, there was once a Link and a Zelda who, through their youthful inexperience, accidently allowed Ganondorf to access the Triforce. The goddesses managed to split it, and he ended up with the Triforce of Power. With it, he became all but invincible. He, in his defeat, transformed himself into an extremely powerful boar-like monster, called Ganon. Ganon was defeated, but he always managed to come back, sometimes as Ganon, sometimes as Ganondorf.”

“And he’s back again.”

She hesitated. “Yes. His spirit has found a new body to inhabit. Senator Ganondorf is a new politician who has already managed to gain quite a bit of fame and support. If these politics are,” she said, a hint of disdain in her voice, “just a game of lies, Ganondorf is winning every match. His popularity is…well, it’s staggering. I’m the only one who seens to know his hidden agenda.”

“Excuse me, senator,” he said, holding up a hand to stop her, “but how exactly do you know so much.”

“Were you not paying attention? The Triforce split. Ganondorf may have obtained the Triforce of Power, yes, but the Triforce of Courage went to you and your past incarnations. I, on the other hand, received the Triforce of Wisdom. Wisdom and knowledge directly from the goddesses is helpful, yes, but it’s also a burden. You know what I mean, don’t you? You have great courage and skill, but—”

“But I never asked for it. Yeah. I know.” He shook his head. “Look, I thought I was going to be a bodyguard. I can’t do what you’re asking me to do. I have a family, you know.”

“They’ll be taken care of,” she said. “An old nursemaid of mine will look after them. They’ll be much better off now than they were before.” He sighed. “You have no more excuses,” she said. “You know that you’re fighting to protect them. To protect all of Hyrule.”

He sighed. “Yeah. So, then, I’m a reincarnation of this hero guy?”

She nodded. “It’s uncanny the resemblance we bear to your predecessors…often down to the clothing we wear. It would explain why you wear that tacky windsock, even though it went out of style nearly a decade ago.”

“You leave my hat out of this!”

“No, no, it rather suits you,” she said, clearly trying to hold back a chuckle. Then she suddenly grew solemn. “Now, Link, listen. This is very important. Those creatures you’ve been fighting—they’re Ganondorf’s minions. Moblins. They’re not quite in this world yet, and you’re the one holding them back. But as Ganondorf gains power, they’ll become stronger. They’ll break through into Hyrule once more. It will be difficult: as time goes on, he’ll become more powerful and we’ll be able to devote less time to him in order to hold back his minions. We have to strike quickly, if possible. But you…you’re not even remotely ready yet.”

Link glowered at her. “I’m stronger than you think.”

“And he’s stronger than you think. You, no matter how strong you are, are just a man. Ganondorf is…well, he’s something else. Something more than human…or perhaps something less.”

“So how am I supposed to beat him, then?”

“With help,” Zelda said. “You’ll have quite a few allies who will help you along the way. You’ll need a few things as well. A special sword, the only thing that can defeat Ganondorf. I hear you’re well acquainted with a sword already,” she added.

“Unimportant. Where do I find this sword?”

“That’s the thing,” she said. “I’m not sure myself. It’s just a legend at this point, and it’s an old one. The goddesses have not shown me its location. They have, however, shown me what you’ll need to find it.”

“And what’s that?”

“You’ll need a guide. Someone who can track down almost anything. Someone who stands a chance of helping you find it.”

“And who, senator,” he said, starting to get impatient, “would this guide happen to be.”

“I don’t know. But you will. Trust me. When you find your guide, you’ll know.”

“So where will I find whoever it is?”

“Again, I don’t know.”

“Senator, a little bit of that wisdom would come in really handy about now.”

“The goddesses have shown me one vision,” she said quickly. “It’s probably not what you want to hear, but trust me, it’s very valuable. They’ve shown me where this quest of yours will begin. The place you need to start from. Things should, hopefully, align themselves on their own from there.”

Link nodded. “Okay. So. Where do I go?”

“I can guarantee you’ll be a bit unsatisfied with the answer, but…you’re going to a park.”

“A park,” he repeated, dumbfounded.

“Yes,” she said. “Kokiri Park.”

Octo Rocked

Well, sorry for the double post. Most forums I'm on make exceptions for updating stories and the like, and I hope this is the same. I'm not about to wait around for someone to say "wow, great story" just to update.

So, I hope I've actually got a few readers. If you're out there, just feel free to comment if you think it's good. It encourages me and bumps the page.

Anyway, here's chapter 2.

Legacy of Magic

“So,” Link murmured. “Kokiri Park. Not all that far. It’s just on the edge of Castle Town.”

“Yes,” Senator Zelda said, “it is. I’ve given you all I know now. The rest is up to you. But remember, the more you delay yourself, the more powerful Ganondorf becomes, and the more real his minions become.” She turned and walked briskly away, disappearing once more into the night.

Link sighed and trudged back inside, head reeling. He pulled his boots off once inside, tossing them aside, and plopped down heavily on the couch.

“Your smoke breaks don’t usually go so long,” came Aryll’s voice from behind him.

He swore under his breath and turned his head to face her. “What, you’re still up?”

“You know I don’t like you smoking around Colin,” she said. “It’s not healthy for him.”

“Which is exactly why I do it outside,” he said. “Look, I told you, I’m trying to quit.”

“And that’s why you went through an entire pack just now?”

He couldn’t bring himself to tell her the truth. “It was a rough day, okay?” She shook her head and scoffed in disgust. “Besides,” he added, “that’s not near enough time for a full pack.”

“Whatever,” she spat. “I’m going to bed.”

“Aryll, wait.”

She turned and glared at him, clearly annoyed. “What.”

He tried to smile. “You know I love you and Colin, right? You two mean the world to me. That’s why I’m doing all this, and why I’m not telling you about any of it. If you guys love me, just trust me, okay?”

She closed her eyes and shook her head. “I’m trying, Link. I’m really trying.” She turned again, softly shutting her bedroom door behind her.

Link sat on the couch a few hours, closing his eyes and just thinking, slipping into a half-conscious state. It was nearing dawn when he woke. He sat on the couch just a few minutes more, getting his thoughts in order before grabbing the pen and pad off of the table and jotting down a quick note. He sighed, set the pad down, and headed over to the fridge to pull out his Red Mushroom Energy Drink six-pack. He headed to his room, grabbing just a few small personal things before heading to the garage. On the way he stopped in the hallway. Aryll and Colin’s rooms were right across from each other, and he reached out his arms to touch either door. “I love you guys,” he whispered. “I’m so sorry.”

Then he opened the garage door, grabbing his sword from the hook by the door, donning his coat and hat, and started up the engine, slowly pulling out of the garage before roaring down the street.

Dear Aryll and Colin,

I’m so sorry about all of this, and even sorrier I can’t explain. I’m most sorry that I didn’t even say goodbye. But I have to do what I’m doing. I’m doing it for both of you.

Some things came up, and I have to leave for a while. Don’t worry, I didn’t do anything wrong. But that doesn’t mean that I’m okay. I hope you’ll be safe, but I have to warn you that people might be coming for you. There’s a woman coming to take care of you, though. Her name is Impa. She’s really good, so I think you’re in good hands. You’ll probably have to leave the house, so start getting things ready now.

Again, I’m so sorry about this. I wish it didn’t have to be this way. I wish I could have said goodbye. But this is something I can’t have you involved in.

With all my love,

Link.

Lon Lon Automotive Services was an old business, and the building was close to downright dilapidated by this time. However, it wouldn’t have stayed in business as long as it had if the service wasn’t reliable. If your vehicle got dinged up, there was no better place to take it. Link had a long journey ahead of him, and he needed his bike to be in the best shape possible.

A gruff-looking man peered out at him from under the hood of a car as he pulled in. The man’s dark brown beard was tied into two separate knots, and his hair was pulled back in a bandana. He stepped back from the car, his beater exposing a buff physique rippling with muscles. “Link,” the man said, offering a hand. “Long time no see. What brings you down to the Ranch?”

“Hey, Talon,” he said, accepting the man’s firm handshake. “I need my bike tuned up,” he said. “It’s gotta be in the best shape it’s ever been.”

Talon Lon looked over at the bike. “Looks like it’s in pretty good shape to me.”

“It is in good shape. But it needs to be even better. Faster. More durable.”

Talon headed back over to the car he was working on. “Well,” he said, chuckling, “repair’s my specialty. You’re talking more about customization. Ingo, wrench.” He glanced over at the thin, mustachioed man in a greasy t-shirt a few yards off. “No, you’ll want to talk to Malon for that. Malon! Get over here!”

A fiery red-head popped out from around the corner, her outfit consisting almost entirely of tight, black leather, emphasizing her voluptuous figure. She moved a pair of welding goggles from her eyes to her forehead. “What’s up, pops?” she asked, starting to hum as soon as she finished.

“You remember Link, right? He needs some upgrades for his bike.”

She turned to face him. “Oh, him? Yeah, no problem.”

“And could you quit that damn humming all the time?” Ingo yelled to her. “Seriously, you’re driving me crazy.”

She simply rolled her eyes and stuck her tongue out at him. “Come on, Link, let’s get your bike inside.”

Link pulled it in, getting an immediate reaction. “You’ve got a nice bike,” she whistled. “Epona model. Good choice. You know, my mother favored this model. My first bike, was an Epona too. It’s real nice being able to work on one again.” She reached over to the radio, clicking it on. “I hope you don’t mind,” she said as she started humming softly with the melody. “It helps me concentrate on my work.” She looked at the bike again in amazement as Link gestured for her to go ahead. “Wow. She’s got a real nice body.” She turned and winked. “Not unlike yourself.”

“I’m flattered,” he replied, deadpan.

She pouted. “You need to loosen up. Relax a little bit. So, what exactly do you need done? She’s in pretty good shape as is.”

“She is,” he agreed. “But not quite good enough. I need you to make her faster and more durable. She’s gonna be real busy soon.” He thought, then added, “and if you, you know, want to throw on weapons of some sort, that’d be great.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Doesn’t exactly sound legal,” she said.

“So that’s a no.”

“Did I ever say that?” she asked, already grabbing her tools. “I think I could rig some spears on the front or something, yeah.” She strutted over, her boots thudding quietly on the floor, and leaned in until her face was only inches from his. “You sure that bike’s the only thing that needs servicing?”

“Positive,” he said, gently pushing her back. “I’m on a deadline.”

She shrugged defensively. “Okay, whatever you say. But hey, if you ever need to…get your engine running, well…you know where to find me.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” he said, brushing past her. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going for a walk in the park.”

She shook her head and scoffed as she watched him leave. “Stiff,” she muttered.

Kokiri Park wasn’t even half a mile away, but it seemed like even less, due to the giant tree in the center of the park, dwarfing everything nearby. The tree truly was massive—on clear days, Link could see it from his house. When the weather was especially nice, he, Aryll, and Colin would go there for a picnic….

No. He couldn’t think about them anymore. It would just slow them down.

As he got closer to the park, he notices a group of young people sitting in a circle around the tree, hands joined. They were all dressed in simple green clothes—tunics, if Link wasn’t mistaken, with simple belts around their waists. A green-haired girl, probably not much older than Aryll, turned when he was still a distance off and stood, causing the circle to slowly come apart as the others stood to watch. She smiled, a look of peace and contentment on her face as he approached.

“So, you’ve arrived,” she said. “We’ve been expecting you, Link.”

He looked at her hesitantly. “I’m sorry, have…have we met?”

She took a deep breath, as if drawing energy from the air itself. “No, not until now. But the Great Deku Tree told us of you.”

“The….” He trailed off, looking at the giant tree above him. “The tree told you. Really.”

“You doubt us?” She smiled, looking around at the others, who started to chuckle. “Then how exactly did we know your name? How do we know that you’re the legendary hero reincarnate?”

“Who are you?” he asked, bewildered. Only Zelda knew who he was, and she certainly wasn’t about to tell anyone.

“Who I am depends on what you mean,” the girl said, spreading her arms wide. “I am but one drop in the pool of spiritual energy that is Hyrule. I am one of the Children of Kokiri. I am a herald of love and peace, and a guardian of this park. I am one with the earth.” She let her arms drop. “But as for my name…well, that’s Saria.”

“Are you my guide?” he asked.

“No,” she said, “that role belongs to another. But do not worry; your guide will find you.”

“Then why am I here?”

“We shouldn’t trust him, Saria,” said a boy close behind her. “He carries a sword. He brings death and destruction. He stands for everything we are against.”

“Mido, hush,” she snapped at him. “No, he is not a Child of Kokiri like we are. However, if all who are called were called to peace, who would arise in times of war? We can do great things, Mido, but we cannot do everything. Just as the Great Deku Tree calls us, the Goddesses have called him.” She turned back to Link. “And now they both call us to help him.”

“Excuse me, but I’d sort of like to know what all this is about,” Link said, arms folded.

“Ah. Yes. You, Link, are here to learn about magic.”

“Magic?” He said, puzzled. “I thought that magic had left Hyrule generations ago.”

“Not quite,” Saria told him. “Fado,” she said, turning to a smiling blonde boy, “lead the rest of the meditation for me, would you?” She stepped towards Link, her bare feet padding softly on the grass. Every movement she made was fluid and graceful, as if walking itself was a form of dance. “Come, Link. Walk with me.”

“The Children of Kokiri have guarded the land that makes up this park for ages,” she said as they broke from the group, “tending it to make sure that the magic does not die out. It was a difficult task, especially when the massive forest this place once was became merely a park. It is true that the magic that the land of Hyrule once had has faded, but ‘faded’ does not mean vanished.’” She reached out to a branch on a nearby wilted tree, slowly rubbing her hand along it. It flourished wherever she touched it, the brown, dry leaves becoming green again. By the time she reached the end of the branch, she had picked a fully grown apple. “As you can see, the magic is still very much here.” She tossed him the red orb. “Hungry?”

“You said that you would teach me magic,” he said, his mouth full of sweet, juicy fruit. “How do you teach something like that? I mean, wouldn’t it take a while to learn?”

She shook her head. “It actually comes quite naturally once you realize that it’s there. However, you will need a little help discovering it for the first time.” She looked back at the dying tree, which had, by this time, been fully restored. “Makar, come on out.”

There was a rustling, and something fell from the tree and landed of Saria’s shoulder. Link looked closer to be sure he was seeing what he thought he was. It was a small creature, about the size of his hand, whose round body was made completely out of bark. A leaf covered most of its body, the holes in the leaf forming a face.

“This is Makar,” Saria told him. “He’s a Korok—a sprite created by the Great Deku Tree to aid the Children of the Kokiri. We all have an aide. Makar here is mine.”

The face-hole shifted to a nervous smile, and the tiny thing’s body shook.

“Makar is simply animated bark and leafs. He is a creature made almost entirely of magic. Here, Link, hold out your hand.”

Link held out his hand, and the Korok jumped from Saria’s shoulder, whipping out a leaf and gliding over into Link’s hand with it. It jumped around a bit more in greeting, its bark making a rattling noise as it moved, and then it produced a few more leafs and twigs, furiously reshaping them.

Link looked up at Saria. “It’s amazing,” he said.

Saria nodded back at the sprite. “Watch.”

The sprite worked with the leaf and bark in ways Link would not have thought possible. Solid wood became flexible, and grass solidified. When the Korok had finished, he held a small stringed instrument that resembled a cello.

Link was floored. “Wow, that’s…that’s incredible. I…wow.”

Saria stepped closer and leaned on him, wrapping one arm around his shoulder, placing the index finger on her other hand on his lips. “Shh,” she whispered, rotating the finger so it was pointing at Makar. “Listen.”

The Korok started fiddling with a twig bow, weaving a song filled with energy and life. As he played, Link felt that same energy and life fill his body, filling him with power he had never experienced before. He had been living before, yes, but now he was alive. The song filled his entire being, lifting his consciousness out of this world and into a world beyond—a world of magic. He felt like he was floating. Like he could fly.

“Link,” came Saria’s slightly panicked voice, snapping him back into reality. He was lying on the ground. He couldn’t remember when that had happened.

“What…what was that?” he asked, awed.

“Music is one of the strongest forms of magic,” Saria said. “And coming from a magical being…I’m sorry, Link, that was probably too much.”

“No! No, no, it…well, yes, it was too much, but it was too much in a good way,” he said. He rolled over, holding his hand above the ground, focusing on a single blade of grass, directing energy into it until it grew into a small flower, which he picked and handed to Saria. “For the apple,” he said. “And for what Makar did. I think I understand now.”

She looked at the flower, which had already wilted in her hand. “Well, it’s…that’s actually still really good for a first try. I’m impressed. You will, naturally, gain more magical prowess as you journey. Of course, creation is harder than destruction or protection, which you’ll need more of. Even so, you’re still a beginner, so you’ll probably need talismans of some sort to aid you.”

He nodded. “Thank you. You’ve been a great help already. I can see why I was supposed to start here.” He turned to go.

“Wait,” she called. He turned, watching her shape a piece of bark with her own hands. “The world is a fierce place,” she said, worried. “Especially with your quest. There will be all sorts of evil forces after you. It’s dangerous to go alone.” She extended her hands. In them was a small, wooden egg-shaped flute. “Take this. It’s a Fairy Ocarina. There’s magic in this wood. Learn the right songs, and perhaps you’ll find it a great help. Oh, hey, here’s one. Many people will be able to recognize you’re a friend of the Great Deku Tree and the Children of Kokiri if they hear this.” She snatched the ocarina back quickly, playing a jaunty, upbeat tune.

“That’s…really catchy,” Link mused.

“You try.”

It was a simple song, and it only took Link about a minute to master it. “Thanks again,” he said. “But I really have to go now. Goodbye, Saria, and thanks for all the help.” He turned and walked off, ocarina in his pocket. He found himself humming the tune he had learned before he had left the park. “Oh, great,” he grumbled to himself. “This song’s gonna be stuck in my head forever now.”

Beeker

Wild Card
Ooh, that last chapter was interesting:) I love how you made the Kokiri followers of magic(even in the modern world) and how you combined theKokiri and Koroks. Keep up the awesome work:nod:

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
It's interesting to see how you include pieces of each Zelda game in the story. And the last line was funny. "This song's going to be stuck in my head forever now." Heh. :)

Octo Rocked

Ooh, that last chapter was interesting:) I love how you made the Kokiri followers of magic(even in the modern world) and how you combined theKokiri and Koroks. Keep up the awesome work:nod:

The role of the Koroks, actually, is quite similar to the fairies in OoT, if you couldn't tell. I wanted to have the Koroks (they're just so cute!), but having the Kokiri was a must, and since the Koroks are sort of implied to have evolved from the Kokiri, I just couldn't have them both in their traditional roles. So here, the Koroks differ from the Wind Waker in that they're a bit smaller, fairy-like helpers, and mute. Also, just in case nobody had it figured out, yes, the Kokiri are pretty much hippies, minus the drugs, man.

I also apologize to anyone I may have offended with Malon's dialogue, which I may go back and edit later. I imagined her (and tried writing her) as suggestive, flirtatious, and playful, but she came across...well, a bit more overt. My mind says "Oh, no! I've turned her into a [insert derogatory term for loose woman here]!", but then the Malon fan in me says "yes, but that's what you wanted, isn't it?" Whoops. And I thought I was above that sort of thing in fanfiction. Again, apologies, that WILL be changed.

To those happy I'm putting in little bits and pieces from all the games, be on the lookout for more of those characters and story elements soon. Many familiar faces will show up in the future (perhaps even some from the CD-i games), the plot elements from the games will start weaving their way in soon (possible spoilers, but Majora's Mask fans should start rejoicing now), and be sure to be on the lookout for some of those classic Zelda quotes.

And now that I've shamelessly babbled on for a while, let me just say that the next chapter should be coming fairly soon. In it, we'll get to see a bit more of Aryll and Colin, but we also get to go inside the mind of Ambassador Zant as he meets with Ganondorf ;).

Last edited:

Octo Rocked

Whoops! Did I say that this would be coming shortly? Yeah, that was before I ended up being horribly busy. Don't worry about me letting this die. I've already planned out the first act, and I have a good idea of what I'm doing in the second act.

Anyway, I finally finished the chapter, so here it is.

Legacy of Oppression

Ganondorf was a well-built man, tall, with a fiery red beard and dark tan skin. His red eyes were unnerving to some, but to most, they were more than offset by his charming personality and immense charisma. To some, Ambassador Zant included, the eyes actually gained him more favor. They held power, those eyes. The fire of ambition burned behind them. This, they said, is a man who can get things done.

Quite unlike Zant himself. Zant was a tall but thin man, completely bald, with extremely pale skin. The immense differences in their appearance were for good reason, he supposed. After all, they came from different worlds: Ganondorf from the hot Gerudo Desert on the edge of Hyrule, and he from the far-off Twilight Realm. The former a land of heat and sun, the latter one of cool and darkness. However, despite their difference in background, it didn’t mean that they couldn’t get along. After all, they had a lot in common as well.

Zant, dressed in the long ceremonial robes of the Twilight Realm took a deep breath before knocking on the Senator’s office door. He had been so impressed with the man, and now that he finally got to meet in person—and privately at that—he found himself rather nervous.

“Ah, Ambassador Zant,” came a voice from the other side. “Please, come in.”

Zant opened the door and stepped inside. Ganondorf sat behind a sturdy mahogany desk in a pinstripe suit, black gloves over his hands. “Please,” he said, gesturing to the seat across from him, “sit.” As soon as the ambassador was seated, he continued. “I’ve been wanting to meet with you for such a long time,” he said. “I’m so glad you could take some time out of your busy schedule while you were down in Hyrule to visit me.”

“To be frank, Senator,” the thin man replied, “I’m surprised that you’d want to meet with me at all. I’m not all that special. I control a small realm. Unlike you, up-and-coming senator in the greatest, most prosperous empire in the land. Even a land as insignificant as mine has heard of you.”

Ganondorf chuckled. “Well, Hyrule’s hardly as great or prosperous as it used to be. But that’s what I’d like to talk to you about.”

“About Hyrule? I’m sorry, senator, but you’re much more familiar than I with—”

“Please, Ambassador Zant. Let me finish. I’m asking you because we’re kindred spirits. You know where I’m coming from. The subject I speak of here is exile.

“Hyrule has had its ups and downs in the years, yes. Technology has evolved. Monarchy has fallen. But one thing has remained fairly constant: Hyrule is a land of racism. If you don’t have the pointed ears of a Hylian, you’re a nobody. My ancestors, the Gerudo, were driven out of Hyrule to the desert centuries ago. Your people, the Twilit, were driven further, and longer ago. Gorons, Dekus, Zoras, Rito…all essentially herded into reservations. There has been progress, yes. I’m a senator, and a well respected one. Most of the different races of Hyrule have some sort of representation. But the fact remains that Hylians are racist, and their segregation of ‘inferior’ races has lead to even further prejudice between all races.”

Zant nodded dumbly. The senator’s words held such power. He found himself completely enthralled.

“Well,” the man continued, “no longer, I say. Hyrule needs progression, and all these games of politics aren’t going to help. They move far too slow. What we need is a return to a monocracy. We need someone who can actually accomplish things. Someone working for the good of Hyrule.”

“You mean…restoring the Hyrule family to the throne?”

He scoffed. “Hardly. There’s a reason that Hyrule is no longer a kingdom. No, we need someone new. Someone, if I may boast for a moment, like myself.”

“I could think of no one better, senator,” Zant said. “You’ve more than proved yourself capable.”

“Well, I’m glad you think so. However, now we get into the matter of why I need you. You see, even if the Hylians were to agree to a monarchy, there’s no way they would put a Gerudo like myself on the throne. They would cling to tradition and refuse to be progressive. Senator Zelda Hyrule would be instated in my stead. And while I have support from several different non-Hylian senators, I’m sure that, if I were to take the throne, there would be war. That is why I need enough supporters for a pre-emptive strike. Of course, that means I would become a dictator—a benevolent dictator, of course, but a dictator nonetheless. Still, it would be preferable to putting a Hyrule in charge again.”

Zant nodded. “Of course it would, Senator Ganondorf. But…I have just one question. How can I be sure you’ll succeed?”

The man pulled off the black gloves he had been wearing, holding up his right hand to display the marking on it. Zant, though he was not from Hyrule, recognized it immediately. A piece of the Triforce. “Because, ambassador,” he said, his hand bursting into flame as he clenched his fist, “the goddesses are on my side.”

Zant hurriedly stood, staring at the man’s hand, before dropping to his knees and prostrating himself before the senator.

“The Twilit armies, oh my god,” he cried aloud, “are yours to command!”

Aryll looked at the house. “It really doesn’t look like anything special,” she told the giantess beside her. The woman was easily six feet tall, and more muscular than most men. Aryll, short and toothpick-armed, felt quite uneasy next to Impa.

“It’s not,” she replied in a thick accent [AN: though our languages are naturally not spoken in this universe, the accent is quite similar to Russian], opening the door. “It’s just a house. Come inside.”

Aryll and Colin followed her in, glancing around. It was, as Impa had said, nothing special. It was just a house. One quite a bit nicer than their own, granted, but still very moderate.

“Whose house is this?” she asked.

“Ours for now,” the big woman said flatly. She pointed down the hall. “The rooms are that way. Pick one. Put your bags there. Ilia will meet you now.” She slipped quietly out the door. She moved with quite a bit of agility and grace for a woman her size, Aryll noted.

“So,” she said, turning to Colin as they walked down the hall, “what do you think of Impa.”

The boy frowned. “She’s scary. She’s so big, and she talks funny.”

She smiled. “Yeah, she scares me too.”

“Where’s Link?” he asked. “I wanna see him. When’s he coming back?”

She hesitated. “He…he’s not coming back for a while, Colin.”

“You mean that he’s dead, don’t you.” She blinked in shock. Is that really how he had interpreted her statement? “Well, I don’t believe you. Link wouldn’t die. He’s too strong for that.”

She managed a chuckle. “You’re right, Colin. He’s way too strong. And I meant what I said: he’s not coming back for a while, and we’re going to have to get used to that.”

“Why not?”

“I…I don’t know, Colin. I honestly don’t know.”

“I do,” came a voice from behind them. A young woman, probably around Link’s age, walked down the hall towards them. “Hi, there. I’m Ilia. Aryll, that’s your room, Colin, that’s yours.”

Aryll slipped her bag into the room and turned to talk to the woman. “What do you mean? You know where Link is? You know what he’s doing?”

She shook her head. “I’m sorry, Aryll. I know, but I can’t give you that information.” As Aryll’s face fell, she continued. “I can, though, tell you a few things. First of all, he’s doing a job of great importance. The person who hired him for the job is also my and Impa’s employer. I can’t tell you who exactly who she is, but she’s someone of great influence.”

“She? It’s a woman?”

Ilia paused. “I’ve said too much about her already. You’ll probably figure the rest out eventually, but it’s best you don’t know for now.”

Aryll grunted and nodded. “So, Ilia…who exactly is Impa?”

“My employer’s old nursemaid.”

“And why exactly is a nursemaid still working for a fully grown woman of such ‘great influence?’”

“Well, now she’s a…um, cook.”

Aryll stared at her. “Bit lean for a cook, wouldn’t you say?”

“Okay, okay, she’s a bodyguard. That’s why she’s here. To guard you an Colin.”

“Wait, what?” Aryll blinked in surprise. “What? Why do we need a bodyguard?”

Ilia hesitated. “Look, Aryll, I really don’t know how much I can tell you. I’m sorry, but—”

“Go ahead,” came a voice from behind them, causing them to jump. Impa had reappeared, just as quietly as she had left. “You can tell her.”

Ilia nodded. “How much can she know?”

“Everything. They are safe now.”

“All right,” she said. “I’ll tell you everything I know.”

“How’s my bike?” Link asked as he slipped back into the garage.
Malon beamed as he approached. “Oh, I think you’ll love it. Come on, right over here.”

“Wow,” Link whispered as he saw the motorcycle. “Thanks, Malon. It looks great.” The bike looked the same for the most part, but it was cleaner. He assumed it also ran better. Mounted on the front were two sturdy bars, sharpened into points, which he hoped would come in handy. “I think this’ll work great. Thanks.”

“So what do you need the bike in such good condition for, huh?” she asked.

He gave a wry chuckle. “I probably shouldn’t talk about it, but…well, I’ve got something pretty important to do. Really important. Might never see this place again, actually.”

“Sounds big.” He nodded. “Must be pretty stressful. I wish I could help.”

“You already have, tuning up my bike like that. Anything else I can’t involve you in.”

“Mmm,” she said. “Well, how about a kiss. For luck. I mean, it’s not like it’ll help, but you’ll at least know that people are counting on you to return.”

“No.” He shook his head. “I’m sorry, I…I couldn’t possibly.”

“Hey, it’s nothing like that,” she said. “It’s just—”

“It’s not that at all,” he said. “It’s just…well, you remind me too much of Marin.”

“Marin?”

He sighed. “I really loved her, Malon. I mean, when you know nothing about your past, and your world is so turbulent, having something that remains constant means everything. Marin was that constant. She helped me get back on my feet, helped me try to find out who exactly I was.” He looked at Malon. “I was about to propose to her, you know.”

“What happened?”

“She drowned.” He shook his head. “I…I was going to go with her to the beach that day. She loved to sit and watch the seagulls. But something came up. I told her to go on, and that I’d catch up to her later. It happened when she was trying to save a boy who was drowning. I got there while they were both in the water.” He took a deep breath. “I swam out to save them. ‘Take the boy,’ she said. ‘I’ll be fine.’ So I saved the boy. I went back out to save her, but….” He trailed off.

“But it was too late,” Malon finished for him.

“Yeah. It was too late.”

They lapsed into silence. “Look,” Malon said after a few moments, attempting to change the subject. “Here, I’ve gotta show you what I’ve done with your bike.” She led him around the front. “You can see the spears I mounted on front, but check this out.” She started up the bike, then pressed a button. Two automatic guns popped out of a compartment on the rear. “They’re rigged to fire automatically when you’re in motion, so be careful. Either way, you’ve got the spears on the front, and these to cover your rear.”

He nodded. “Thanks, Malon.”

“It was my pleasure. This particular Epona is easily the best bike I’ve worked on. All engines have life in them, yeah, but this one actually felt as if she were alive. I dunno, call me crazy, but it felt like she liked my singing.”

He thanked her again, paid, and wheeled the bike out. He looked around to make sure he was alone, then pulled out the Ocarina Saria had given him. Malon had said that it felt like there was life in the bike, and that it had reacted to her singing. He fiddled around with the notes a bit, trying to recreate by ear the tune she would always sing. He felt crazy, even attempting this. The bike wasn’t alive.

He finally got the tune down, took a deep breath, and played it through. The engine instantly roared to life. In that second, he felt something. No, the bike wasn’t alive, but it definitely had a soul. Not just any soul, but a part of his own soul in it. Not just that, but a part of Malon’s. A part of the hearts of all the people in Hyrule that cared about him, and wanted him to be safe. The bike responded to those emotions.

He chuckled, surprised at what all the magic Saria had given him could do. He slipped on his sunglasses, jammed his headphones into his ears, and set it to a song by the Indigo-gos. “Nothing better than jazz for saving the world,” he muttered, smiling to himself. Then he revved the throttle, roaring off into the night, trenchcoat flapping behind him.

“Huh,” was all Aryll could manage when Ilia finished explaining the situation. Impa had disappeared halfway through. “So. Senator Zelda. And Senator Ganondorf.”

“You recognize the names?”

Aryll laughed. “Who doesn’t? They’re the most prominent and quickest upcoming senators, respectively. Come on, even Colin recognizes their names. But Link’s involved with them? That’s…wow. Didn’t see that coming.”

“And now you understand why we have to keep you here.”

“Kind of. Is Ganondorf really as bad as you say? Because he seems pretty pleasant to me.”

“That’s why he’s so dangerous,” Ilia said. “And why he’s so powerful.”

Aryll nodded. “I think we’d best keep this from Colin, if just because he wouldn’t understand it.”

“Well, it’s your call now. So, Aryll, tell me…what’s it like, living with Link?”

“It’s okay. He’s great to be around and all, but he drives me crazy, never telling me what’s going on. I mean, I know a bit now, but that’s thanks to you. He just seems so distant.”

“Well,” she said, “love is never easy.”

Aryll coughed. “Love? What the hell are you talking about?”

Ilia stared. “You love him, don’t you?”

She laughed. “Well, yeah. He’s like a brother. But that doesn’t mean I’m in love with him!”

Ilia shrugged. “Whatever you say. I mean, I’ve only seen pictographs of him, and I don’t see how anyone not actually related to him could live in the same house and not develop some sort of feelings for him.”

“Ilia, even if I did feel anything for him, it would never work out. He’s in love with someone else. Someone dead and gone. And he’s never going to forget about her as long as Colin’s around.”

Ilia looked puzzled. “Why Colin?”

She glanced over at the boy’s room, from which the heavy breathing of sleep could be heard. “Because,” she said, “he’s the one she died protecting.”

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
That was good timing! I was in the fanworks section today and was just wondering when you would be updating again. I like how you're mixing characters from lots of different games. So far I recognize TP, WW, OoT, and LA. There may be more that I have forgotten about.

I also like your characterization of Ganondorf as very charismatic. That will make for an interesting power struggle.

By the way, regarding your author's note - personally I prefer them at the top or bottom of a chapter. Reading them in-line breaks my concentration on the story. Not sure what kind of feedback you are looking for, just thought I'd mention it. ^^

Octo Rocked

Thanks for the feedback, and so quickly, too!

Yeah, I definitely am having fun both mixing and reinterpreting characters. Hopefully, I'll get at least one character from each game. Some MM characters are pretty important later on, and Cole and Vaati will appear fairly soon, sort of playing the role of the comic relief villains. I've got plans for Linebeck, and I might even put in some characters from the forbidden CD-i games (in fact, if you haven't noticed, that last chapter contained a line from the games)!

And yes, I'm having fun trying to make Ganondorf more than an obviously evil overlord. Don't believe all his statements to Zant, though...while partially true, they're not his whole motivation.

And now, regarding the part that I should actually be responding to. Yeah, about the author's note...you're right. I don't plan on putting many author's notes in, because they distract from the story, but putting them in the middle like that really breaks the flow. I should probably just make a footnote or something from now on, huh?

Hopefully, I'll be able to work on this next chapter pretty quickly (he said after posting the third chapter a few weeks after he intended). It was one of the first scenes I had in my head, and it introduces a character that I hope most people are really going to love.

Octo Rocked

Hohoho, new chapter! It took a bit longer than I hoped (because I went on a week-long trip, and then my lappy broke down), and this next chapter will take a bit longer than I'd like (because the county fair is next week), but enjoy this update for now. I really don't have a good "Legacy of X" title for this chapter, but if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. They're getting harder to come up with as I go along.

This chapter was one I had planned for a long time, and the character introduced was one of the first I re-interpreted, and probably the one I re-interpreted the most (second goes to Aryll, who is quite a bit older and gets a lot more character development than in the games). That being said, I didn't really like how it turned out. The middle section felt weak, and I imagined the whole thing being a bit longer. Oh, well. That's what second drafts are for!

Chapter 4: Legacy of the Master Sword/The Guide

Link pulled his bike off to the side of the road halfway home, realizing that it was a place that he couldn’t go anymore. He didn’t have any idea what to do. He paced up and down the deserted street for a bit until he remembered that he could always ask Senator Zelda what to do. He jogged back towards his bike, pulling the contact card she had given him out of his pocket.

It was quiet, he noticed suddenly. Too quiet. Unnaturally quiet. It wasn’t simply silent, it was as if all sound had been sucked out of the air. The night creatures, the sound of vehicles in the distance, even the breeze was quiet. Link turned just in time for something large to tackle him to the ground. He instinctively reached for his sword, realizing he had left it with the bike, before breaking free and scrambling away.

A blow from behind sent him flying. He rolled onto his back to face it, and got his first look at his assailant. It was a yellowish color and had a large body, with four stubby limbs and two giant, flopping ears. And it was between Link and his bike.

Link gave a yell as he charged towards it, hoping to plow through it or get around it to reach his sword. The yell started fairly loud, but as he drew closer, it sounded muted, as if the noise was being swallowed up. He took a breath and shouted again. The monster recoiled briefly at the noise, though it was quickly muted again. Link took a deep breath to shout once more, but in that second, it leapt forward, tackling him and placing one of its paws over his mouth and nose, suffocating him. He tried to make a noise, but he couldn’t. He tried to move, but the creature was too heavy. He couldn’t breathe, and the air had been crushed out of his lungs.

As his sight started swimming, he thought he heard a noise in the distance. He mustn’t have, because the monster paid no mind.

“Hey!” came a muffled voice off to his right as he started losing consciousness. “Listen.” A gunshot rang through the air, and suddenly, the monster flopped off of him. All the little noises that had disappeared returned to the world.

The last thing he could make out before he lost consciousness was a pair of dirty feet.

“Senator Zelda!” boomed a voice behind her, full of insincere joviality. She started walking faster. A wall of flame flared in front of her, stretching from wall to wall, before instantly dying down, leaving no indication that anything had happened. The message was clear: she didn’t have the choice to run away. She turned to face the man.

“Senator Zelda,” Ganondorf smiled, spreading his arms wide. “Really, there’s no need to run, is there? Do you really wish to avoid speaking to me that badly?

Zelda just glared at him. “What do you want, Ganon?”

He gave a deep, booming laugh. “Cutting right to the name-calling, are we? Look, Senator Zelda…I’m just here to talk.”

“I’m sure,” she said icily. “What are you really up to? All the work you’re putting into that orphanage…why? What do the children matter to you?”

“All of Hyrule matters to the future king…Princess,” he said, spitting the old title at her like a snake shooting venom. “Why shouldn’t I care about the children of my kingdom?”

“You’ve never taken an approach like this before. Why this? Why now?”

He chuckled. “Well, you are right about one thing. I don’t care about the children. I just care about one of them.”

“What—”

“It would just spoil all the fun if I told you, Senator. I like it when you’re angry.” His eyes narrowed. “But I don’t like it when you go messing up my plans. You’ve found the Hero again, haven’t you? Well, he won’t be able to help now. Not it this world, with all its politics. What power does he have? He’s a nobody. A street kid. Just one step above a bum.

“And what power do you have, for that matter? After all, you’re so suspicious of me that you’re not thinking of your reputation at all. That bothersome park that takes up so much space…I’m sure we could half the size and put up a new building. And I’m sure we could find an optimal place near Lake Hylia for a factory. I think that you and the Zoras are about the only opposition at this point.”

“Ganondorf, when I find out what you’re up to, I will—”

He grabbed her chin in a firm grip, turning her face upward into his. “You’ll do what? Face it, Senator. I’m winning your supporters over, one by one. You had so much, when you first started. A senator born with a silver spoon in her mouth, and a silver tongue to go with it. But I had nothing. I worked my way up to the top, as I always have. I fight for what I get. Funny how our positions are reversing now. As my popularity rises, yours dwindles. You don’t know what’s best for the people anymore, Senator Zelda. You only know what is best for you and the royal family, and what is worst for me. You can’t win people over like I can. I bet you never once thought about the racism the Twilit are facing, or how willing Zant was to give me complete power over the entire Twilight Realm once he heard that I would do something about it.” He threw her back, smirking as she stumbled. Her face burned where his fingers had dug into her jaw. “You’re nothing, Senator. And there’s no place for you in my new Hyrule.” He bowed in insincere respect before turning and striding back to where he had come from.

“Hey, wake up,” came a girl’s voice. Link forced his eyes open, a person coming into focus. “How’s it going?” the girl asked. “You almost bought it there, didn’t you?”

He sat up, taking a look at the girl. Her hair and skin, covered in grime, were extremely pale, though with a healthy, almost luminescent glow that seemed to give of blue tones. Or maybe that was just because of her plain blue dress, the hems in tatters. She was barefoot, her feet covered in what seemed to be a permanent layer of dust.

“What happened,” he moaned groggily.

“You got jumped by a Pols Voice. Nasty creatures, those. Scared of noise, so they steal the sound right out of the air around them.” She expertly twirled a large gun around her finger. “Of course, if you manage to create a noise, a loud bang, for example. Or just put a bullet through their head, point blank.”

“Thanks, I guess,” Link said, picking himself off the ground. “You saved my life.”

“Yeah, about that. Most people tend to run away from monsters. You know, for future reference.”

He grabbed his sword from off of his bike. “I’m not most people,” he said. “Then again, it sounds like you aren’t either. Who are you, exactly?”

“My name’s Natavhari. Fifteen-year-old encyclopedia of monsters and history. Expert marksman.”

“Nata…?”

“Navi,” she said. “All my friends just call me Navi.”

“All right. Thanks, Navi.”

“So what sort of person are you, that you’re not afraid of monsters and you carry a sword around? I mean, guns work so much better.”

“The sword is a personal thing,” he said. “And yeah, I’m…well, I’m sort of on a quest. Important stuff to do. So thanks, and later.”

“You’re looking for the Master Sword, aren’t you?” she asked.

He turned to face her. “How did you know that? Only one other person could possibly know.”

She grinned mischievously. “It’s pretty obvious, isn’t it? Big save-the-world sort of quest, guy who carries a sword…I’ll bet your name’s Link, isn’t it? Oh, come on,” she said at his look of shock. “I told you, I’m like an encyclopedia when it comes to history. It’s just what I’m good at. Besides killing monsters, that is. Look, you’re really lucky you found me, because it just so happens that I’m one of the only people who can actually take you to the Master Sword.”

“And what, nobody else knows where to find it?”

“Nope. It’s pretty well guarded, so it’s a secret to everybody. But I have my ways of learning about things. I know where to find it. I could take you there.”

He looked at her warily. “Are you my guide?”

She shrugged. “Dunno. But I can help you out. Get you info on enemies. If you’re looking for the Master Sword, you’re obviously doing something pretty big, and you’re gonna need all the help you can get.”

“So what’s the catch? What do you want?”

She looked down. “Well, you’re Link. You’re obviously after Ganondorf, and so Zelda has got to be involved somehow. If I come with you, I might get to meet Zelda, and…well, all I really want is a place to call home. A family of some sort. I’ve gone from place to place, doing what I can for a bit of money, living in shelters…I’m basically just a child of the streets. I don’t have anywhere I fit in. And Zelda’s got the wisdom to help me find that place.”

Link smiled at her. “Well, Navi, even if Zelda can’t do anything, I’m sure I can. Now come on, you say you know where the Master Sword is?”

“Yeah! Well…well, okay not really.”

“What.”

“No, wait! I don’t exactly know where it is, but I’ve got some ideas, and I’m positive I know someone who does know.”

“All right, so who is it?”

“He’s a mapmaker. A genius mapmaker, actually. He can get us the maps to find anything, though he never actually goes for it himself. He just, well, he likes maps, I guess.”

“All right, let’s go, then. Hop on the bike.” He swung his leg over, and Navi hopped up behind him. It was the first time he had actually watched her move, and it was quite fascinating. She moved with an odd sort of agility, as if she were dancing, or even floating. There wasn’t much grace or purpose to it, but it was gentle and quick. She bounded up behind him, thrusting her arms around his waist to hang on.

“There’s just one thing, Link,” she said.

“Oh? And what’s that?”

“Well, you have to promise that, when we get there, you won’t be mad at me.”

He laughed. “Navi, if you’re sure he can help us, why would I be mad?”

“Oh, trust me. You’ll see what I mean as soon as you see him.”

So, what mapmaker would possibly infuriate Link (as if you didn't already know)? Why does Link use a sword, and what's with his attatchment to it? Who is this child that Ganondorf is after? And most importantly, why isn't Navi a fairy (the answer to that last one is actually just "she just isn't")? Discuss and theorize!

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
One minor technicality out of the way first - I think there is a typo in the following line. Not it this world, with all its politics. Should "it" be "in"?

Anyway, I kinda squee-ed happily when I saw Navi was in it. Is she going to remain Link's companion, or is she mainly taking him to the mapmaker? (I think I know who it is, and if so, HA HA.) Also, you probably don't want to spoil too much, but if Zant's in it, will Midna be making an appearance too?

I have to admit, I wasn't sure what I'd think of an "urban" legend of Zelda, but I'm glad I checked it out, and I look forward to updates. I've mentioned it before, but you're doing nice work including so many different elements of the game in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom