• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Legend of Zelda Review - AKA the first Zelda game I ever beat.

Pre-review ramble, skip if you just want the review:
As I mentioned in my greeting post, I had hardly ever played any Zelda games. I had played Ocarina of Time for maybe 10 minutes way back when. I tried Wind Waker at a friend's house when it came out. A buddy had Twilight Princess and I ran around as wolf link. The most time I ever spent playing as Link was in Smash Bros. I got Breath of the Wild in October, and it's great! I beat have completed 3 divine beast quests, but I'm a busy guy and had bought a bunch of games and Fire Emblem Three Houses took over my spare time. I listened to Kinda Funny's "The Legend of Zelda In Review" while at work and decided I'm going to play all these games.

So, I looked 'em up. There's a stinkin' lot of Zelda games. And there's a lot of Zelda games that people don't talk about. I'm going to try to play them all. To keep my sanity, I am playing some other games at the same time. It took me a month to finish the first game, so I'll probably be doing this for a long time. But I plan on putting up reviews of each one as I play 'em. Hopefully you enjoy the ride. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Review
I went into the game completely blind. I didn't look up a thing and accidentally skipped the intro, so I ended up walking around with no sword for 10 minutes. My first hour or two was spent wandering aimlessly getting destroyed by the Octorock's and those stupid things that pop out of the water. God, I hate them. Eventually, I found the first dungeon and beat it.

The game was incredibly frustrating without a guide, but also extremely exciting when I found something. Finding that first dungeon made me feel like a true adventurer. I could only imagine what it must've been like for kids in the 80's to play this game, make hand-drawn maps and share tips with each other. But, I am not a kid in the 80's. I have an admittedly short attention span and despite the worldwide pandemic I have a busy schedule. I also didn't want to be driven to total insanity. At least not yet, that's what Zelda II is for.

Now, I didn't want to just use a guide for every detail. I don't care if anyone else does, but I wanted to maintain that sense of adventure and discovery. At first I used a GameFaqs text walkthrough and boy was that not helpful at all. Eventually I came here and man, this guide was great. I skimmed through the walkthrough, trying hard to preserve surprises and only consulted it when I was completely stuck. It saved my butt big time.

Playing this game, I got very angry many times - but god, it was fun. Beating it was probably the most satisfying thing I've ever done. I love the minimal story, the grand scale of adventure, the free-roaming aspect... I can see it's DNA all over Breath of the Wild. Now, for me as someone who didn't grow up with this, I have to say I like BotW better, but this was an amazing game. One thing it has over BotW is the enemy variety! There were so many different enemies, it kept the gameplay fresh - except the Wizzrobes and those knight guys. Screw those guys. Oh, also the flying eyeball bees. Screw them too.

I guess this was less of a 'review' and more of the ramblings of a mad man, but to sum it up: I love this game.

And without further ado, I present: the definitive ranking of the Legend of Zelda games:

1. The Legend of Zelda

Next, probably in a month's time, if I'm not in an asylum... Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

I just started doing the same thing! I’m playing and writing reviews for each Zelda game. Im glad you had fun with the original; I sure did! I’m working on Zelda II right now. Quick tip: suspend points are the best. Be sure to use them if you can.
Cool! I'll check out your review of the first one.

Ahh its so good to see a newer crowd playing Zelda blind. I'm glad you had fun with it. Though there is a second quest with 9 new dungeons so your not done just yet. ;)

Ahh its so good to see a newer crowd playing Zelda blind. I'm glad you had fun with it. Though there is a second quest with 9 new dungeons so your not done just yet. ;)

Thanks! Haha I have heard of the second quest... I will be revisiting the game later to complete it, right now I am playing AoL... just got the hammer. This game is tough!

Thanks! Haha I have heard of the second quest... I will be revisiting the game later to complete it, right now I am playing AoL... just got the hammer. This game is tough!

Its more challenging then most Zeldas, but not nearly as hard as its made out to be. Your doing just dandy if you've already got the hammer.:bear:

Last edited:

MW7

Good luck with Zelda 2. Honestly you should have relatively smooth sailing for a while after the hammer. The game has peaks of difficulty right before the hammer and at the end. Although even its easier moments are relatively hard compared to later Zelda games.

Also the second quest of Legend of Zelda is much more cryptic than they already cryptic first quest - almost everything is well hidden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom